Clockwork Angels - Track Running Times

Snaked

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 05:51 PM)
I think BU2B's extra length is just some kind of transition at the end going from BU2B track to Clockwork Angels track. I don't think Lifeson added a real solo to BU2B but you never know.

One full minute is a hell of a long transition to put at the end of a song, especially since Headlong Flight will probably have it's own instrumental intro. I think they may have added a solo or an extra verse. I mean Geddy did mention on many occasions that the singles did evolve over the course of the tour.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Apr 12 2012, 08:56 AM)
1. Caravan(5:40)
2. BU2B(5:10)
3. Clockwork Angels(7:31)
4. The Anarchist(6:52)
5. Carnies(4:52)
6. Halo Effect(3:14)
7. Seven Cities Of Gold(6:32)
8. The Wreckers(5:01)
9. Headlong Flight(7:20)
10. BU2B2(1:28)
11. Wish Them Well(5:25)
12. The Garden(6:59)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Clockwork+Ange...&skuId=20021839

Discuss!

I'm very happy with these running times! Glad "BU2B" is extended (And supposedly re-recorded along with Caravan) and that "Carnies" isn't just a short instrumental.

66 NEW MINUTES OF 2.gif ! 1022.gif

Edited by Alchemical

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 12 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 12 2012, 10:08 AM)
No real long songs like I expected.

Really? If you were expecting a 20-minute "Hemispheres" or "2112"-like epic, then yeah, you're going to be disappointed. But there was no indication that there would be such an epic in this album, or even anything over 10:00.

3. Clockwork Angels (7:31)

4. The Anarchist (6:52)

7. Seven Cities Of Gold (6:32)

9. Headlong Flight (7:20)

12. The Garden (6:59)

Those five songs are pretty beefy. It's been a long time since we've had five songs of that length on one album. That's a good thing, yes?

Taking these songs into consideration:

3. Clockwork Angels (7:31) will be the 12th longest Rush song.

9. Headlong Flight (7:20)will be the 14th longest.

12. The Garden (6:59) will be 16th.

4. The Anarchist (6:52) will be 17th.

7. Seven Cities Of Gold (6:32) 21st.

All out of 165 songs.

That's pretty impressive to me.

And to add more perspective, Clockwork Angels will be longer than both Working Man and Jacob's Ladder. Also Headlong Flight will also be longer than Working Man.

Edited by Test4Eggo

QUOTE (Test4Eggo @ Apr 12 2012, 09:29 PM)

Really? If you were expecting a 20-minute "Hemispheres" or "2112"-like epic, then yeah, you're going to be disappointed. But there was no indication that there would be such an epic in this album, or even anything over 10:00.

Those five songs are pretty beefy. It's been a long time since we've had five songs of that length on one album. That's a good thing, yes?

All out of 165 songs.

Long Rush songs usually, but not always, mean acrobatic instrumentation and long musical interludes. I truly think this is going to be the "sickest" Rush album since the 1970s or early 1980s. And "sick" is a good thing.... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Apr 12 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (Test4Eggo @ Apr 12 2012, 09:29 PM)

All out of 165 songs.

Long Rush songs usually, but not always, mean acrobatic instrumentation and long musical interludes. I truly think this is going to be the "sickest" Rush album since the 1970s or early 1980s. And "sick" is a good thing.... 1022.gif

That's what I've been thinking...long songs = lots of music!

Cannot wait to hear what they've cooked up! Could be real special!! 653.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 12 2012, 12:33 PM)
Who cares if there is not a ten minute song? There are basically five tracks that are around seven minutes. Seven minutes is pretty epic to me. Wasn't Jacob's Ladder in that range? If these songs flow together it might be like one sixty six minute song. Rush are probably doing their first ever full record concept album and we still get compaining? confused13.gif

Rush fans not complaining? Get real. eyesre4.gif

I'm definitely excited about the length of the songs, as well as the prospect that they re-recorded and added to/changed Caravan and BU2B.

They talked about wanting to record this album when their chops were at their peak, and I'm assuming they were in much better playing shape if the songs were re-recorded, which could mean some interesting changes to the songs.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Apr 12 2012, 09:41 PM)
I'm definitely excited about the length of the songs, as well as the prospect that they re-recorded and added to/changed Caravan and BU2B.

They talked about wanting to record this album when their chops were at their peak, and I'm assuming they were in much better playing shape if the songs were re-recorded, which could mean some interesting changes to the songs.

Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong 2 months.......

Can there be a possibility 2.gif cut a longer song into 3 or 2 seperate parts that run into each other like the 3 those of Natural Science ?

If Headlon Flight, BU2B2 & Wish them Well all run continously it would make it an Epic 14.13 minute song.

Carnies, Halo Effect and Seven Cities of Gold run at: 14.38 minutes

I can't really see any other 3 songs that might be part of a set! Can you?

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 13 2012, 11:11 AM)
Can there be a possibility 2.gif cut a longer song into 3 or 2 seperate parts that run into each other like the 3 those of Natural Science ?

If Headlon Flight, BU2B2 & Wish them Well all run continously it would make it an Epic 14.13 minute song.

Carnies, Halo Effect and Seven Cities of Gold run at: 14.38 minutes

I can't really see any other 3 songs that might be part of a set! Can you?

Here is wishing that! That would be mucho awesome! Def think that there will be segways between at least some of the tracks, given the conceptual theme. Rush fans will have plenty of ear-gasms if that is true! music.gif

The fact that there are some 7+ minute or so songs doesn't say epic to me. An epic is a Xanadu or even Jacob's Ladder, that is to say songs with very distinctive sections that really go in a lot of different directions.

7 minutes could easily just mean an extended song. Rush has been making 5 and 6 minute songs for a long time that aren't epics, they're just songs with the chorus repeated a few times and maybe a cool instrumental break. No reason to think that a 7 minute song won't be more of that.

Regardless, if the songs are great, it won't matter if it's a true prog like epic or not.

I don't think we're going to have much of an idea if any of the songs are epic or not until we hear all of them. Even when Headlong Flight is released, we're only getting 2/3 of the song. Whether there is an epic feel to the song is probably only going to depend on hearing the full version of the song.

I do admit though, each time I see the track list with the times listed, I get goosebumps looking at the number of songs above 6 or 7 minutes. When S&A's track list was revealed I was stoked to hear Armor and Sword purely based on track length and placement within the album.

The anticipation will only get worse once we all hear the 5 minutes of the Headlong Flight edit. All the setlist threads going about are fun, but a bit premature, if a bit unrealistic.

I don't get why Rush doesn't just throw on a 9-minute song. confused13.gif It wouldn't even be hard for them and they gotta know fans would go crazy. I heard that the Main Monkey Business was originally something like 14 minutes long and was cut down. It could easily have been a modern-day Xanadu.

I'm not complaining, I just really don't get it. Aren't they curious as artists to see if they can still make a 9 or 10 minute song? Say, "okay, we're going to make a 10-minute song and have it change enough so it doesn't bore people." Lee, Lifeson, and Peart sit down, write a 10 minute song. If it's doesn't sound good, then re-work it, or start from scratch. Keep doing that until you write something twice as good as Natural Science or The Camera Eye. They should just take one for the team and smoke marijuana before writing an epic. They would probably have a blast. Take one for the team guys. By team, I mean TRF and all Rush fans, and when I say guys, I'm talking to you Lifeson. I know you're on TRF. There's so many Lerxts and Lifesons on here that there's no way to tell which one you are, but I know you're reading this. Get high, Lifeson. cool10.gif And if you need a little beer beforehand to calm your nerves then get High Life, son. trink39.gif

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Apr 14 2012, 02:32 PM)
I don't get why Rush doesn't just throw on a 9-minute song. confused13.gif It wouldn't even be hard for them and they gotta know fans would go crazy. I heard that the Main Monkey Business was originally something like 14 minutes long and was cut down. It could easily have been a modern-day Xanadu.

I'm not complaining, I just really don't get it. Aren't they curious as artists to see if they can still make a 9 or 10 minute song? Say, "okay, we're going to make a 10-minute song and have it change enough so it doesn't bore people." Lee, Lifeson, and Peart sit down, write a 10 minute song. If it's doesn't sound good, then re-work it, or start from scratch. Keep doing that until you write something twice as good as Natural Science or The Camera Eye. They should just take one for the team and smoke marijuana before writing an epic. They would probably have a blast. Take one for the team guys. By team, I mean TRF and all Rush fans, and when I say guys, I'm talking to you Lifeson. I know you're on TRF. There's so many Lerxts and Lifesons on here that there's no way to tell which one you are, but I know you're reading this. Get high, Lifeson. cool10.gif And if you need a little beer beforehand to calm your nerves then get High Life, son. trink39.gif

laugh.gif cool10.gif goodpost.gif

Come on Al!

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Apr 14 2012, 02:32 PM)

They did work on an epic song, and it was called Clockwork Angels. But they obviously re-worked it and it became shorter or evolved into two different songs.

I don't know where you come up with Rush should try to prove it to themselves that they can write an epic song again. They've already written some of the best epic songs in rock music. 2112, Hemispheres, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, Natural Science. They've pretty much done it all. And then they can write amazing shorter songs too.

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Apr 14 2012, 01:32 PM)
I heard that the Main Monkey Business was originally something like 14 minutes long and was cut down. It could easily have been a modern-day Xanadu.

TMMB is, to me, already about 3 times longer than it should've been. There are only about 4 parts to it, and it seems like none of them really go anywhere. Then they all repeat. I can't imagine if it went on like that for another 7+ minutes.

That said, the first section of the song is really pretty good. Too bad it never really builds on it's self.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 14 2012, 11:31 AM)
The fact that there are some 7+ minute or so songs doesn't say epic to me. An epic is a Xanadu or even Jacob's Ladder, that is to say songs with very distinctive sections that really go in a lot of different directions.

7 minutes could easily just mean an extended song. Rush has been making 5 and 6 minute songs for a long time that aren't epics, they're just songs with the chorus repeated a few times and maybe a cool instrumental break. No reason to think that a 7 minute song won't be more of that.

Regardless, if the songs are great, it won't matter if it's a true prog like epic or not.

Goober for being such a positive person, you're really being pretty negative. Try "looking on the brighter side of Life!"

Vapor Trails, it shall not be! Withdraw thou defenses, and partake of the bounty 2.gif willth bestowest upon thee!

bitchslap.gif