Any arguments here?

clem

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know, any "polls" like this are so ridiculous and anyone who votes in this kind of crap is just simply childish.

"BETTER" is a matter of taste and entirely subjective....

Music is not an olympic event folks...

Better, faster, harder? How about playing for the song? Does that factor into it? If so, how does one "judge" that aspect?

Polls are a cynical means in which to generate magazine sales.

Best avoided...

I'd say that Neil definitely deserves the top spot, given the criteria. First of all, the list is titled 100 Greatest ROCK drummers, and secondly, it says that the drummers are ranked "for their influence, innovation, originality, and technical ability."

Given those criteria, I don't think anyone else in the rock world is even really that close to Neil, except maybe Bonham, who is number two. In fact,most of the remainder of the top ten, given the criteria, probably deserve to be there as well.

I've been a Rush fan for a long time, and every time I ever mention that I like Rush, without fail, the person I'm talking with, Rush fan or not, says something like "Neil Peart is an awesome drummer!" or "Don't they have a really incredible drummer?," or "Their drummer is amazing."

Simply put, I can't think of another rock band that is so singularly known for ONE thing as Rush is known for having an amazing drummer who plays amazing drum parts.

I, of course, know that they are WAY more than that, but, to the rest of the world, Rush = drums. I can't say the same for any other rock band.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 12 2012, 11:40 AM)
No arguments here about Neil. I don't get why Bonham is number 2. He was good, but he isn't that good. The only thing that made him so big as a drummer was that he came up with the heel-to-toe method of kicking the bass drum which allowed him to do some quick triplets that nobody else could do with ease at the time (double bass pedals weren't mainstream yet). Still, he wasn't that great overall.

goodpost.gif I always thought Bonham and Moon were overrated. yes.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Feb 12 2012, 07:43 PM)
Ya know, any "polls" like this are so ridiculous and anyone who votes in this kind of crap is just simply childish.

Music is not an olympic event folks...

Better, faster, harder? How about playing for the song? Does that factor into it? If so, how does one "judge" that aspect?

Polls are a cynical means in which to generate magazine sales.

Best avoided...

While I agree that it's all opinion, I think comparing it to an Olympic event pretty much ruins your entire argument since Figure Skating, Freestyle Snowboarding, Gymnastics and probably about 30 or more Olympic events are judged by people who are basically using their "opinion" on which figure skater (or whatever) is the best.

So I guess using your argument, the Olympics are "childish"

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's opinion, but settle down on calling people "childish" for voting for things like that or being interested in them. wink.gif

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Feb 12 2012, 06:43 PM)

When it comes to Music/Songs/Bands , Yes . In this case , listen to Terry Bozzio play and then listen to Phil Rudd play , i bet you can tell who's Better wink.gif

QUOTE (jacklifeson @ Feb 17 2012, 08:50 AM)
Please give me your criteria for being the "best" musician. And, what qualifies you to make that judgement? Its not a sporting event, its an art. Once you get to a certain level that alot of the guys on that list are on, there is no "best".

Me ? or the Op?

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Feb 17 2012, 09:12 AM)
Have you looked at any of their other lists? Rush is 97 on the Greatest Artists of Rock. Cracker please!

Cracker? They're ok - I have Kerosene Hat, but.... Greatest Artists of Rock? no.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Feb 17 2012, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Feb 17 2012, 09:12 AM)
Have you looked at any of their other lists?  Rush is 97 on the Greatest Artists of Rock.  Cracker please!

Cracker? They're ok - I have Kerosene Hat, but.... Greatest Artists of Rock? no.gif

Are you serious? I didn't mean the band. Since I won't post "ni@@a please!" an adequate substitute is "cracker please!"

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 12 2012, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (Yokkov @ Feb 11 2012, 11:16 PM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...
My humble opinion is that John Bonham deserves to be number one waaaay more than Neil Peart.

Neil is more talented. I can almost prove that as fact. That said, Bonham is definitely extremely influential.

However, Gavin and Marco Minneman and Danny Carrey and many others especially in the jazz-rock scene can mop the floor with Neil.

Well this is the thing.

When we talk about the best rock drummer ever. The first thing I think of is "who has written some of the very best drum parts, phrases, rolls, fills, that truly are unique, recognizable and have been a massive influence on scores and scores of other drummers and musicians.

Neil Peart.

Hands down.

Forget chops.

I am talking purely from a creative song writing perspective.

John Bonham was also awesome.

Carter Beuford

Gavin Harrison

Stuart Copeland

those are my other all time fav's to name a few more.

But it is all about Neil. Legendary drummer who has written IMO the very best rock drum phrases, parts, fills.....the whole kit and kabooddle.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Feb 17 2012, 10:31 AM)
Aside from Neil being #1, this list seems stupid. How can you quantify the impact of a drummer? What does it mean if less technically proficient drummers are ahead of one who are more proficient?

And it's all rock drummers...there is little variety.

I do by how well they write their parts. How identifible their signature sound is.

Neil owns the ride bell run. It is one of his signature chops.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Feb 12 2012, 09:50 PM)
I'd say that Neil definitely deserves the top spot, given the criteria. First of all, the list is titled 100 Greatest ROCK drummers, and secondly, it says that the drummers are ranked "for their influence, innovation, originality, and technical ability."

Given those criteria, I don't think anyone else in the rock world is even really that close to Neil, except maybe Bonham, who is number two. In fact,most of the remainder of the top ten, given the criteria, probably deserve to be there as well.

I've been a Rush fan for a long time, and every time I ever mention that I like Rush, without fail, the person I'm talking with, Rush fan or not, says something like "Neil Peart is an awesome drummer!" or "Don't they have a really incredible drummer?," or "Their drummer is amazing."

Simply put, I can't think of another rock band that is so singularly known for ONE thing as Rush is known for having an amazing drummer who plays amazing drum parts.

I, of course, know that they are WAY more than that, but, to the rest of the world, Rush = drums. I can't say the same for any other rock band.

Nailed it.

Techincal is important...but originality, songwriting and influence is the ultimate testament to how high they should rank.

I usually don't pay attention to drummers and their technique since the feeling of the song is most important. However, if I had to choose, then I pick Bill Bruford or any of the jazz drummers. I like their methods of playing better.

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Feb 17 2012, 04:22 PM)
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0901/super-human-neil-peart-rush-superhuman-demotivational-poster-1231398212.jpg

* This thread makes Freddie Gruber cry......... wacko.gif

This made my day. laugh.gif

The thing for me is, I wonder how many people who only know Rush for having a great drummer really heard a Rush song and thought "woah, this guy is smokin!", or was it more something they heard from a couple of people and the fad caught on to dismiss Rush as "the band who exists only because their drummer is amazing"?

I mean, Geddy is amazing too (and I think Alex is WAY underrated), but where's his props? He gets em, sure, but not like Neil.

I'll admit, I LOVE to focus on drums when I listen to a piece of music, and maybe that's why I'm such a Rush fan, but I'd like to think its the ensemble effort that is so magical that makes me like the band.

And really, what do I know? I'm a guitarist, and I really couldn't tell you what makes a great drummer or not. I just know what I like to hear- what sounds cool and really accents the music. That's why love to hear the aforementioned Chad Szeliga play. He may be a nobody and play for small time bands, but it seems like he always is able to put interesting stuff into the music that fits without detracting. And I guess that is my real crieteria for a great drummer, one that Neil fits perfectly.

I really don't think Neil is the best- I think it's probably impossible to say at that level. But Rush as a band is the best because no one puts it all together like they do and makes it work. And really, that's the most important thing.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 17 2012, 06:03 PM)
I usually don't pay attention to drummers and their technique since the feeling of the song is most important. However, if I had to choose, then I pick Bill Bruford or any of the jazz drummers. I like their methods of playing better.

i'll turn on a jazz hour once in a while and some of those jazz drummers i've heard sound amazing.

QUOTE (Yokkov @ Feb 11 2012, 10:16 PM)
Ummmmmmmmmm yeah...
My humble opinion is that John Bonham deserves to be number one waaaay more than Neil Peart.

Bonham doesn't even crack my top 10. Most overrated drummer in history.

Gavin Harrison, on the other hand, should be way higher than 50.

But it's all subjective anyways.