New CA Update!

EmotionDetector

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 5 2012, 03:12 PM)
The 3 things I'm most thankful for in my life (in this order):
My Family
My Girl
Rush (and all other music I love), for getting me through some of the hardest times of my life.

Don't say I'm ungrateful, you don't know me.

Edited by Gompers

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 5 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Mar 5 2012, 03:12 PM)
The 3 things I'm most thankful for in my life (in this order):
My Family
My Girl
Rush (and all other music I love), for getting me through some of the hardest times of my life.

Don't say I'm ungrateful, you don't know me.

So you criticize your girl and family too?

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 5 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 5 2012, 02:20 PM)
maybe it's good they aren't saying anything and keeping their mouths shut.  usually when you hear alot of talk from the band members saying how much they like the new music and how great they think it is, that's when you should be concerned.  they did alot of talking before s & a was released and look how that turned out.  tongue.gif  eh.gif

goodpost.gif In this case , No news might be Good news . I don't want an update every week and then have another S&A on our hands wink.gif

Yeah....with SnA we got the GOOD NEWS FIRST. It turned out to be mediocre news rofl3.gif

I wonder if we will hear...

"we were really fired up recording this one..really organic just playing on our banjos and buckets"

"this is our heaviest album since Moving Pictures"

"we decided to switch instruments for a couple tunes"

"we had more fun making this than any record since Grace Under Pressure"

' we have 5 instrumentals that originally had lyrics till we decided against it"

" 4 songs were recorded at 4:30 am after a night of wine drinking"

" our producer forced Neil to play 3 fills instead of 2 on a new song"

"remember how you felt when you first heard moving pictures and you really liked it and it sounded strange and familiar at the same time so much that you just knew it was an instant classic? Well...this one is not like that"

Edited by druid13

it's Everywhere confused13.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:20 PM)
The silence before Rush returns to being a prog band again.(fingers crossed) Just as that article said the first two(especially Caravan) are as prog as they have been since probably PW.

I think it can be debatable that they've always been a prog band in the sense that they're always progressing and incorporating new elements of music into their sound, but that's a whole other topic.

But back on the topic at hand, it's gonna be great to hear new Rush music since after becoming a recent Rush fan, I'm beginning to run out of new material. (If I'm not a big fan of some of their songs, I'll give time in between and go back and try it out again with the hope of liking it next time. I'm beginning to run out of songs for that. tongue.gif)

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 6 2012, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:20 PM)
The silence before Rush returns to being a prog band again.(fingers crossed) Just as that article said the first two(especially Caravan) are as prog as they have been since probably PW.

I think it can be debatable that they've always been a prog band in the sense that they're always progressing and incorporating new elements of music into their sound, but that's a whole other topic.

But back on the topic at hand, it's gonna be great to hear new Rush music since after becoming a recent Rush fan, I'm beginning to run out of new material. (If I'm not a big fan of some of their songs, I'll give time in between and go back and try it out again with the hope of liking it next time. I'm beginning to run out of songs for that. tongue.gif)

I've notice that you need to listen to each RUSH album at least 5 times for it to really sink in!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm also stoked about CA, but the whole religion topic does concern me a little. I'm sure CA will have some bashing and it wouldn't suprise me if it's the main theme of the story. It just seems like Neil is getting more and more bold about the subject - Freewill, Faithless, BU2B, etc. I feel it's become a bit of an obsession with him. I'm not criticising him for his beliefs (actually, I share many of them), but I do worry that Rush may be perceived as a band for "non-believers". It just seems like it's not the smartest move as it could drive away some of their fanbase.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 01:44 PM)
...It just seems like it's not the smartest move as it could drive away some of their fanbase.

That seems to be evident around here.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 11:44 AM)
It just seems like Neil is getting more and more bold about the subject - Freewill, Faithless, BU2B, etc. I feel it's become a bit of an obsession with him.

Uh-huh. Keep going. Name all the rest of the songs that deal with this topic. Show that it's an obsession, because if it is, you should be able to list at least a few dozen of the over 150 songs they've put out.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Mar 6 2012, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 01:44 PM)
...It just seems like it's not the smartest move as it could drive away some of their fanbase.

That seems to be evident around here.

cue pin drop.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 6 2012, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 11:44 AM)
It just seems like Neil is getting more and more bold about the subject - Freewill, Faithless, BU2B, etc.  I feel it's become a bit of an obsession with him.

Uh-huh. Keep going. Name all the rest of the songs that deal with this topic. Show that it's an obsession, because if it is, you should be able to list at least a few dozen of the over 150 songs they've put out.

lol - spot on.

Name all the rest of the songs that deal with this topic.

I think Totem would fit, as would the majority of Roll the Bones. Maybe The Way the Wind Blows, Peaceable Kingdom in more subtle ways ... Far Cry ... Show Don't Tell.

Not that its a big deal to me, but I think its noticeable in more than a couple of songs. I don't know if it qualifies as an "obsession" but it's there.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Mar 6 2012, 05:41 PM)
I think Totem would fit, as would the majority of Roll the Bones.

unsure.gif

I always thought Roll the Bones was about chance, luck - ect, not Neils disdain for religious zealotry??

I always thought Roll the Bones was about chance, luck - ect, not Neils disdain for religious zealotry??

I guess what I am saying is that his religious views (I dont think its zealotry, just his particular beliefs) are sort of implied in the songs on Roll the Bones -- a random universe based solely on chance implies the lack of intelligent design, ie a Creator.

Let me say that I am not trying to argue a case for or against Neil's POV -- I happen to believe much the way he does -- but the ideas are there, sometimes in a passing line, or the implied thought behind a song. Again, I don't think its an obsession. Just his thoughts. But I do agree he needs to find something else to talk about at times.

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:41 PM)

I think Totem would fit, as would the majority of Roll the Bones. Maybe The Way the Wind Blows, Peaceable Kingdom in more subtle ways ... Far Cry ... Show Don't Tell.

Not that its a big deal to me, but I think its noticeable in more than a couple of songs. I don't know if it qualifies as an "obsession" but it's there.

Yeah, no. If the topic is "bashing religion", which so many people here seem to have a problem with, then 'the majority of Roll the Bones' certain does not fit. Nor would I say that Show Don't Tell, Far Cry or The Way the Wind Blows bashes religion. I would hesitate to even list Totem because I don't see it as bashing religion so much as exploring many religions - it's not insulting in the least. And Peaceable Kingdom isn't bashing religion, it's talking about how it seems like we all have our own viewpoints and the lament that we can't seem to get it together.

The fact is that Neil is no more obsessed with bashing religion than he is with any other topic because out of 150+ songs, he's only done a scant handful, like less than 10, that deal with that topic.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 6 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (wilb1972 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:41 PM)

Yeah, no. If the topic is "bashing religion", which so many people here seem to have a problem with, then 'the majority of Roll the Bones' certain does not fit. Nor would I say that Show Don't Tell, Far Cry or The Way the Wind Blows bashes religion. I would hesitate to even list Totem because I don't see it as bashing religion so much as exploring many religions - it's not insulting in the least. And Peaceable Kingdom isn't bashing religion, it's talking about how it seems like we all have our own viewpoints and the lament that we can't seem to get it together.

The fact is that Neil is no more obsessed with bashing religion than he is with any other topic because out of 150+ songs, he's only done a scant handful, like less than 10, that deal with that topic.

Yep!

Like I said - this is a made up controversy.

QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 09:44 AM)
It just seems like it's not the smartest move as it could drive away some of their fanbase.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that nobody in the band has ever vetoed a lyric out of fear that it would alienate some people on a message board.

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Mar 6 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (GernTheFish @ Mar 6 2012, 09:44 AM)
It just seems like it's not the smartest move as it could drive away some of their fanbase.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that nobody in the band has ever vetoed a lyric out of fear that it would alienate some people on a message board.

Might as well start now!