New CA Update!

EmotionDetector

From RIAB:

Sci-fi author Kevin J. Anderson is a huge Rush fan and has drawn inspiration from Rush for a number of his writings. His 1988 Rush-inspired novel Ressurection, Inc. drew the attention of Neil Peart and the 2 have been friends ever since, even collaborating on the 1994 short story Drumbeats. Neil also wrote the introduction to Anderson's 2006 short story compilation Landscapes. Anderson just announced via his Facebook page the incredibly awesome news that he will be writing a novelization of Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album!

After dropping hints for a while, finally the big announcement, a new project unlike any other I've ever done...and something that I consider very cool.

Most of you are aware of my long-standing friendship with Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist from the legendary rock band Rush, as well as how much Rush has influenced my work. My first novel Resurrection, Inc. was closely inspired by the Rush album "Grace Under Pressure," and I can point to dozens of other novels and stories that bear a clear Rush influence.

For more than twenty years, Neil and I have wanted to collaborate on something MAJOR, a way we could tie together our imaginations, and at last that's happening.

I'm writing the novelization of Rush's forthcoming album Clockwork Angels, their first new CD in five years. Imagine if someone had written the novel of The Wall, Tommy, or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band when those classic albums were released. For Rush fans, CLOCKWORK ANGELS is that project.

I worked together with Neil to flesh out the epic story told over the course of the music, as well as the artist Hugh Syme whose paintings fill the CD booklet. In a young man's quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life. To whet your appetite, Rush released the first two tracks, "Caravan" and "BU2B"-listen to those songs to get an idea of the story's beginning.

I'm writing the chapters now, incorporating the lyrics into the narrative, and having a fantastic time. More details to come, but for now-to quote a line from Caravan: "I can't stop thinking big."

Edited by EmotionDetector

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a young man's quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life.

I guess we now have a good idea of the story's concept. Pretty cool! 1022.gif

Good signs so far.

The best albums Rush have made have all contained some sort of Sci-Fi journey themed epic.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 9 2012, 01:30 PM)
In a young man's quest to follow his dreams, he is caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos. He travels across a lavish and colorful world of steampunk and alchemy, with lost cities, pirates, anarchists, exotic carnivals, and a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life.

I guess we now have a good idea of the story's concept. Pretty cool!  1022.gif

Wow, sounds pretty EPIC. smile.gif I wonder if the story will span the entire album (like Operation Mindcrime, Misplaced Childhood, etc.)? Or will it be like 2112 or Hemispheres, with a five or six song suite plus other unrelated songs?

From the description, it sounds like CA could span the entire album which, would be VERY epic and a first for Rush. But I do remember Alex talking about a five or six song suite, though that was a few weeks ago.

I wonder if we could someday see a FILM version of the novel? ohmy.gif Maybe they could sign up Peter Jackson after he finishes The Hobbit 1&2? smile.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 9 2012, 01:30 PM)

I guess we now have a good idea of the story's concept. Pretty cool! 1022.gif

right

Well this answers one very important question and raises another:

We now know for a fact that the Watchmaker is a character in a story, and not simply an allusion to the Christian god (or any specific god). While I might concede after hearing the whole album that the parallel is intentional, we know now that this is primarily a character in a story.

So, does that change your opinion about this supposedly blatant personal attack on religion? Can we see now that Neil has simply written a story and populated it with characters? I wrote a story that revolved around a serial murderer years ago - doesn't mean I'm a serial murderer myself.

Anderson's description is a far cry (see what I did there?) from the people here frothing at the mouth over how CA is going to be a giant anti-Christian/anti-religion/pro-atheism album.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 9 2012, 03:35 PM)

We now know for a fact that the Watchmaker is a character in a story, and not simply an allusion to the Christian god (or any specific god). While I might concede after hearing the whole album that the parallel is intentional, we know now that this is primarily a character in a story.

So, does that change your opinion about this supposedly blatant personal attack on religion? Can we see now that Neil has simply written a story and populated it with characters? I wrote a story that revolved around a serial murderer years ago - doesn't mean I'm a serial murderer myself.

Anderson's description is a far cry (see what I did there?) from the people here frothing at the mouth over how CA is going to be a giant anti-Christian/anti-religion/pro-atheism album.

I'm waiting for How It Is to read this thread and give a big "I TOLD YOU SO" to those that were doubting. I have to admit to being on the fence about the Watchmaker myself. I'm glad to see the science fiction concept album isn't dead. Bring on the movie.

>>caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos

>>a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life

Well, from this description we can't really tell if the Watchmaker is an actual character in the story or some kind of deity. It's possible that the Watchmaker will be a physical character, maybe even some Star Trek-style "deity" like a machine created sometime in the past. Maybe there will even be an "unmasking" of the character at the end? But it's also possible that the Watchmaker is a religious deity in the story.

But it does look like the story may be a Hemispheres-style struggle between Order and Chaos (rather than Love and Reason). So maybe the religious overtones won't be as strong as some around here are fearing. Still, I do think the underlying theme will be about belief/unbelief.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

Here's Alex's quote (from RIAB) that I mentioned earlier:

... Alex Lifeson stops short of calling Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels a concept record, but he does admit that a theme runs through most the songs. "We have Caravan and BU2B; both of which we released already and played on the Time Machine tour," he says, referring to the group's extensive 2010-2011 outing. "Those two, along with three other songs, form a suite. The story of Clockwork Angels is in those five tracks." (12/13/2011)

So it looks like CA probably won't be an album-length epic, unless things have changed in the past few weeks.

Even so, a five song suite should still be pretty epic. smile.gif And Geddy said the title track is pushing "double digits" in length (minutes). Maybe this will be an instrumental Overture or Prelude to the CA suite?

Edited by They Bow Defeated

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 9 2012, 04:35 PM)

That is a great point.

Judging by what is being stated in the description above, it does certainly sound more character-related at this point.

Also, the lack of religious themes being described is also a great sign in my books! smile.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Feb 9 2012, 03:05 PM)

>>caught between the grandiose forces of order and chaos

>>a rigid Watchmaker who imposes precision on every aspect of daily life

Well, from this description we can't really tell if the Watchmaker is an actual character in the story or some kind of deity. It's possible that the Watchmaker will be a physical character, maybe even some Star Trek-style "deity" like a machine created sometime in the past. Maybe there will even be an "unmasking" of the character at the end? But it's also possible that the Watchmaker is a religious deity in the story.

But it does look like the story may be a Hemispheres-style struggle between Order and Chaos (rather than Love and Reason). So maybe the religious overtones won't be as strong as some around here are fearing. Still, I do think the underlying theme will be about belief/unbelief.

If it's a deity, then it must be a deity that takes physical form or otherwise affects the world directly - "...Watchmaker who imposes...". Our real world gods don't impose anything; it's the humans of the faith that do the imposing. I don't think Anderson would have phrased it that way if it was a deity.

That's why I'm leaning more toward the Watchmaker being an actual character, but I see where you're coming from and you may be right. I can think of a few things I've read over the years that feature deities taking human form and interacting in the world.

I'm a fan of Anderson's books, I'm stoked more than ever about this album.

This was my immediate thought when I read this. It was a relief, but you never know.. although The Watchmaker is a character in the story, he could represent God in the story.

"All is for the best
Believe in what we're told
Blind men in the market
Buying what we're sold

Believe in what we're told
Until our final breath
While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death"

To me that is still a religious critique. He's saying that people grow up believing what they are taught and they never question it, and God who we believe to love us, allows us to die. Now, I TOTALLY disagree with the sentiment, but I'm just saying that this is what I see when I read this, and it's not at all surprising coming from Neil.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I'd prefer no religious commentary, but Neil is a big boy and he can do as he pleases. I do want happy Neil back though sad.gif