New CA Update!

EmotionDetector

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 10 2012, 04:46 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 10 2012, 05:34 PM)
Christians absolutely LOVE to preach their beliefs - ad-nauseum - to people who don't share their faith - to the extent that they want to literally dictate how other people should think, feel and live.

eyesre4.gif

Really eh? You're pretty sure of yourself to generalize all Christians like that.

Listen, I'm a Christian. I can tell you straight up that I don't go around telling anyone how to live their lives, nor do I spend any of my days worrying about those that think differently than me. I don't care. People are free to think, feel, and live whatever way they want. None of my business...just as I would expect others to treat me the same in that regard.

Besides, that "hypocrisy" that you speak of can easily be looked at from both sides. BOTH 'believers' and 'non-believers' are guilty of this. I think that's Goobs ultimate point...I know it's mine: Just leave the topic alone altogether. No need for it in Rush songs.

Neil is a smart enough boy...the guy can write, and there are literally thousands of concepts and ideas out there that he could write about!

Bottom line...I don't care either way. I'm stoked about a new record...and I really just want this thing to get released ASAP! 1022.gif

Yep. And just because Neil writes something doesn't automatically mean it's any good (the narration in Necromancer for instance, 062802puke_prv.gif )

There's a lot to be said of any writer, musician, or any creative professional that doesn't stay on one theme or topic. Repetition is boring.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 10 2012, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 10 2012, 03:46 PM)
Christians absolutely LOVE to preach their beliefs - ad-nauseum - to people who don't share their faith - to the extent that they want to literally dictate how other people should think, feel and live.

eyesre4.gif

Really eh? You're pretty sure of yourself to generalize all Christians like that.

Listen, I'm a Christian. I can tell you straight up that I don't go around telling anyone how to live their lives, nor do I spend any of my days worrying about those that think differently than me. I don't care. People are free to think, feel, and live whatever way they want. None of my business...just as I would expect others to treat me the same in that regard.

Besides, that "hypocrisy" that you speak of can easily be looked at from both sides. BOTH 'believers' and 'non-believers' are guilty of this. I think that's Goobs ultimate point...I know it's mine: Just leave the topic alone altogether. No need for it in Rush songs.

Neil is a smart enough boy...the guy can write, and there are literally thousands of concepts and ideas out there that he could write about!

Bottom line...I don't care either way. I'm stoked about a new record...and I really just want this thing to get released ASAP! 1022.gif

I know where you're coming from, and I'm on board with the idea that not all Christians are like that.

However.

On the one hand, you're saying that people should live their lives and you wouldn't tell them how to do it, on the other hand, you're saying that Neil shouldn't write about a subject simply because you don't want him to.

See?

Oh...agreed.

I'm not telling Neil anything. What I would LIKE to see is less Religious-talk, and something fresh and new. Believe me, despite my personal feelings, I was a HUGE fan of Snakes & Arrows despite the content, and BU2B is one of the best things they've written in ages! Absolutely LOVE the song!

I can totally look past Neil's lyrics when needed...but I'd simply like to see him tackle something else...something fresh and brand new because I know he is more than capable. That's all. Plus, this whole Steampunk concept seems pretty fresh...and I can't wait for it.

Remember, at the end of the day, I'm just a giddy-fanboi waiting for a brand new album from my all-time favourite band!

I am ready for Clockwork Angels and whatever it brings! 1022.gif

14 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

Nate2112, treeduck, GUP1771, Zanadoo, Dscrapre, Terrapin, ifloveremains, ucsteve667, thizzellewashington, canadianice, eshine, nappy2112, HemispheresserehpsimeH

I'm just psyched to hear some news!

QUOTE (Nate2112 @ Feb 10 2012, 05:04 PM)
Nate2112, treeduck, GUP1771, Zanadoo, Dscrapre, Terrapin, ifloveremains, ucsteve667, thizzellewashington, canadianice, eshine, nappy2112, HemispheresserehpsimeH

All I will say is, it better be METAL or there'll be hell to pay!

1287.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2012, 05:13 PM)

1287.gif

caravan and bu2b are considered metal?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 10 2012, 06:17 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

1287.gif

Rush ain't METAL, more like PROTO Metal.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 10 2012, 05:19 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

everybody hears things different but that's not metal to me. no.gif

eyesre4.gif

To clarify - I did not mean to generalize. Obviously, not all "Christians" preach their religion or discriminate against others, just like not all "gays" love showtunes lol

But... there are of people who do discriminate under the guise of religious piety.

I am speaking more to the extreme, and I think Neil is as well - his personal belief in faith notwithstanding.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Feb 10 2012, 04:19 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

Especially BU2B.

I took my brother to see the Apr/12/11 chicago show and he seemed shocked by that song. He's big into Rage Against the Machine, Korn, that kinda stuff. He got really psyched when he heard BU2B.

QUOTE (eshine @ Feb 10 2012, 06:28 PM)

eyesre4.gif

To clarify - I did not mean to generalize. Obviously, not all "Christians" preach their religion or discriminate against others, just like not all "gays" love showtunes lol

But... there are of people who do discriminate under the guise of religious piety.

I am speaking more to the extreme, and I think Neil is as well - his personal belief in faith notwithstanding.

I understand...and agree.

I am not a fan of the 'extremists'...on either side. Just believe what you believe in your heart...and don't worry about whether others see what you do or not.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 10 2012, 05:17 PM)

1287.gif

Shouldn't you be vomiting over a Van Halen album right about now?

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Feb 10 2012, 05:29 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

Especially BU2B.

I took my brother to see the Apr/12/11 chicago show and he seemed shocked by that song. He's big into Rage Against the Machine, Korn, that kinda stuff. He got really psyched when he heard BU2B.

another example of how we all hear things differently because bu2b was a bathroom break for me. tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2012, 05:48 PM)

1287.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

i take it you don't care for it either?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 10 2012, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2012, 05:48 PM)

1287.gif

062802puke_prv.gif

i take it you don't care for it either?

I've not heard it all yet...

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Feb 9 2012, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 9 2012, 02:15 PM)
Sounds cool, I guess that means that CA isn't going to be an epic though sad.gif

Well, it could be a full-album epic, right? That's something I've always hoped Rush would do.

Not really. It mentioned to take Caravan and BU2B as the beginning. There is no setting, no characters, nothing. Just ideas with similar themes. I really wanted a coherent 10+ minute story. How can it be an epic if the connection between the songs are similar (or evolving) themes? By definition you need to have a story to have an epic. I really hope I'm wrong but this is just how it seems to me.

Epic or not, if they keep the sound of the singles, the album will be epic. tongue.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Feb 9 2012, 10:17 PM)
It is great to hear someone place one of Rush's album in such company!

Imagine if someone had written the novel of The Wall, Tommy, or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band when those classic albums were released. For Rush fans, CLOCKWORK ANGELS is that project.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

He should also write 2112, Cygnus, and By-Tor (By-Tor with The Necromancer)

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 10 2012, 07:12 PM)
Sounds cool, I guess that means that CA isn't going to be an epic though sad.gif

Well, it could be a full-album epic, right? That's something I've always hoped Rush would do.

Not really. It mentioned to take Caravan and BU2B as the beginning. There is no setting, no characters, nothing. Just ideas with similar themes. I really wanted a coherent 10+ minute story. How can it be an epic if the connection between the songs are similar (or evolving) themes? By definition you need to have a story to have an epic. I really hope I'm wrong but this is just how it seems to me.

Epic or not, if they keep the sound of the singles, the album will be epic. tongue.gif

But there is! There's a main, unnamed character (narrator of Caravan) who is traveling to the city with all kinds of dreams:

"I can't stop thinking big"..."A chance to break from the past"

All the lyrics of Caravan depict his journey towards that city:

"The caravan thunders onward

To the distant dream of the city

The caravan carries me onward

On my way at last, on my way at last"

BU2B describes his background and (I'm assuming) his realization of the world he lives in, controlled by The Watchmaker:

"I was brought up to believe

The universe has a plan

We are only human

It's not ours to understand"

"Believe in what we're told

Until our final breath

While our loving Watchmaker

Loves us all to death"

Either this is a big religious metaphor OR (I'm hoping) it's set in a 2112 like world where no one questions the Watchmaker (Priests..)

OK, now I wonder if the tour will be delayed until the book is released? That way it would be available for purchase at the shows. . .

I also am concerned that (though it's sort of a cool idea) the book and CA will be released together. Meaning that if Kevin Anderson gets writer's block, those of us with already thin patience might be ready to blow? laugh.gif A book/album package is a keen idea, but I'm rather tired of the wait.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 10 2012, 05:42 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

Especially BU2B.

another example of how we all hear things differently because bu2b was a bathroom break for me. tongue.gif

It's all good. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I personally think that Caravan and BU2B are the best songs they have put out for quite some time, but that's just my opinion.

I do get why people don't like them, I didn't at first, but they took me a few listens.

To each, their own. smile.gif

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Feb 10 2012, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 10 2012, 05:42 PM)

1287.gif

yes.gif

Especially BU2B.

It's all good. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I personally think that Caravan and BU2B are the best songs they have put out for quite some time, but that's just my opinion.

I do get why people don't like them, I didn't at first, but they took me a few listens.

To each, their own. smile.gif

i gave it more than a few listens but i can't get into it. the guitar during the chorus is painful to listen to and geddy's singing is just too dry. i want to like it but just can't warm up to it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Feb 10 2012, 07:22 PM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Feb 10 2012, 07:12 PM)

But there is! There's a main, unnamed character (narrator of Caravan) who is traveling to the city with all kinds of dreams:

"I can't stop thinking big"..."A chance to break from the past"

All the lyrics of Caravan depict his journey towards that city:

"The caravan thunders onward

To the distant dream of the city

The caravan carries me onward

On my way at last, on my way at last"

BU2B describes his background and (I'm assuming) his realization of the world he lives in, controlled by The Watchmaker:

"I was brought up to believe

The universe has a plan

We are only human

It's not ours to understand"

"Believe in what we're told

Until our final breath

While our loving Watchmaker

Loves us all to death"

Either this is a big religious metaphor OR (I'm hoping) it's set in a 2112 like world where no one questions the Watchmaker (Priests..)

This post made my day. Thank you for reminding me of those parts.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Feb 10 2012, 06:49 PM)
I personally think that Caravan and BU2B are the best songs they have put out for quite some time.

^^^

this

QUOTE (Digitallware @ Feb 10 2012, 05:21 PM)

1287.gif

Rush ain't METAL, more like PROTO Metal.

Rush ARE Metal!

1022.gif

1287.gif