New CA Update!

EmotionDetector

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Mar 12 2012, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 12 2012, 09:10 AM)
the release of Clockwork Angels has been pushed back to an unspecified date, but sources close to the band estimate the release to be in early Fall.

laugh.gif

Really? Where did you hear this?

CBS News.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 12 2012, 09:54 AM)
the release of Clockwork Angels has been pushed back to an unspecified date, but sources close to the band estimate the release to be in early Fall.

laugh.gif

CBS News.

I think you mean See BS News.

QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Mar 12 2012, 11:01 AM)

laugh.gif

CBS News.

wink.gif

I'm sure that anchor Jessica Savitch will report on it on NBC News Digest.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 12 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (FeelingUnlimited @ Mar 12 2012, 11:01 AM)

laugh.gif

CBS News.

wink.gif

I'm sure that anchor Jessica Savitch will report on it on NBC News Digest.

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/smilies/caca.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Mar 6 2012, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 6 2012, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Mar 6 2012, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 5 2012, 05:20 PM)
The silence before Rush returns to being a prog band again.(fingers crossed) Just as that article said the first two(especially Caravan) are as prog as they have been since probably PW.

I think it can be debatable that they've always been a prog band in the sense that they're always progressing and incorporating new elements of music into their sound, but that's a whole other topic.

But back on the topic at hand, it's gonna be great to hear new Rush music since after becoming a recent Rush fan, I'm beginning to run out of new material. (If I'm not a big fan of some of their songs, I'll give time in between and go back and try it out again with the hope of liking it next time. I'm beginning to run out of songs for that. tongue.gif)

I've notice that you need to listen to each RUSH album at least 5 times for it to really sink in!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

5 times?

People at Progarchives swear on the magic 'rule of 3'. That is, it takes 3 real listens to a band/album to like it, if you are ever going to.

5 might be compensating for an album you may just not like. For example, while I've had PoW for quite a time now, I certainly haven't listened to it 5 times. 3 at max.

Well if ProgArchives says it then I will just have to take that as fact. tongue.gif

I have to say, this "rule" of listening to an album 3 or 5 or 10 times to decide if you like an album is, IMO one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Even it it's just a "general" rule. How many threads have there been on TRF where someone says something like "I never got (insert song or album here) until the other day. Wow what an amazing (song or album)."

First off, everyone is different so there is no way to find a "magic" number of listens before you give up on an album or a song, for that matter, even a "general" number. Then again, maybe for a "normal" band that could be true, I will maybe, give you that. But with RUSH, there is so much involved in an album or song that sometimes you might not hear or appreciate it for YEARS and 20 listens.

For me, S&A was an album for me that I didn't like on my first, second, third, probably up to 6th listens. I didn't hate it, but I just didn't get it. I put the album away for a couple weeks. Then decided to put it back in. This second go round was a little different. I noticed things that missed before. Some of the lyrics just clicked in my head in a different way than the first group of listens and some of the music did the same. So after this period of probably 6 listens, I started to like the album. It grew on me, so to speak.

Then I put the album away for a third time. This time I didn't pick it back up for like 3 months. This time I listened again and on this set of probably 3 listens I started to appreciate so many little things in the songs, so many parts of they lyrics that I always understood, but just didn't click for me. From then on, S&A became an album that I listened to alot. That has carried over to this day where I listen to it probably once every 2 weeks.

And for me, I rarely "skip" RUSH songs when I am listening to an album, even if it's an old album I've had for 20 years, the exception being if I am driving and want to hear a certain song before I get to my destination. The reason for this is even after so many years, there are always things that you can hear, especially on songs you may have not heard in a while because they are songs that aren't your favorites, I might just end up having a certain guitar riff or bass line or lyric that for whatever reason speaks to me in that moment.

I know that there will be the trite "You just want to like or love every RUSH album" or "you just feel pressure to enjoy RUSH songs or albums that you force yourself to listen. Which, IMO, is stupid. Why would I in my car or at my house alone, listen to something I don't like just to listen to it. I get that argument in the postings one can make not wanting to be critical of a RUSH album even when you don't like it because you feel a "pressure" from the RUSH community to not diss an album, but for what it's worth, I am honest when I give my opinions on albums on here, so for me, that criticism isn't correct. For others, who knows. Maybe that is prevalent on TRF, but I don't get people who "lie" on a forum. Maybe it's to fit in or be liked, but I come on here to give my opinions whether they are 98% unpopular, or 98% popular.

All of this said, I respect everyone's opinion on what they think about this 3 or 5 listen "rule". If that is how you judge your music or what you think is a good rule of thumb to go by, more power to you. I don't think you are stupid for following the 3 listen rule or believing that it's "generally" true. I just think you are making a mistake because you could end up missing out on something great. And I am not trying to "convince" anyone that they should listen to albums they don't like, I'm just saying I don't think it's the best way to go about judging an album. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that anyone who follows this or promotes the idea is dumb or stupid. I just don't believe it or think the "idea" is a good one. So hopefully you won't take this personally. Although I know some will.

I am a big believer that music, the way you listen to it, the way you judge it and the why you rate it is 100% based on personal opinion. And I respect your right to have ANY opinion you want. This is just MY opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

One last thing. I don't respect everyone's opinion or them for having them. And those instances would include the extreme opinions that 99.99999% of us would agree on. Like to give an extreme example. If a man has an opinion that it's ok to have sex with young boys because that is just simply how he feels in his heart, well that is obviously something where I would not respect that person's opinion or that person....PERIOD. There are less extreme examples of peoples opinions that make me not respect that opinion or that person, but just for the sake of making my point, I gave the extreme example.

trink39.gif Especially to those of you who subscribe to the ProgArchive "rule of 3 listens theory". I say that seriously, btw.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 12 2012, 11:19 AM)
The silence before Rush returns to being a prog band again.(fingers crossed) Just as that article said the first two(especially Caravan) are as prog as they have been since probably PW.

I think it can be debatable that they've always been a prog band in the sense that they're always progressing and incorporating new elements of music into their sound, but that's a whole other topic.

But back on the topic at hand, it's gonna be great to hear new Rush music since after becoming a recent Rush fan, I'm beginning to run out of new material. (If I'm not a big fan of some of their songs, I'll give time in between and go back and try it out again with the hope of liking it next time. I'm beginning to run out of songs for that. tongue.gif)

I've notice that you need to listen to each RUSH album at least 5 times for it to really sink in!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

5 times?

People at Progarchives swear on the magic 'rule of 3'. That is, it takes 3 real listens to a band/album to like it, if you are ever going to.

5 might be compensating for an album you may just not like. For example, while I've had PoW for quite a time now, I certainly haven't listened to it 5 times. 3 at max.

Well if ProgArchives says it then I will just have to take that as fact. tongue.gif

I have to say, this "rule" of listening to an album 3 or 5 or 10 times to decide if you like an album is, IMO one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Even it it's just a "general" rule. How many threads have there been on TRF where someone says something like "I never got (insert song or album here) until the other day. Wow what an amazing (song or album)."

First off, everyone is different so there is no way to find a "magic" number of listens before you give up on an album or a song, for that matter, even a "general" number. Then again, maybe for a "normal" band that could be true, I will maybe, give you that. But with RUSH, there is so much involved in an album or song that sometimes you might not hear or appreciate it for YEARS and 20 listens.

For me, S&A was an album for me that I didn't like on my first, second, third, probably up to 6th listens. I didn't hate it, but I just didn't get it. I put the album away for a couple weeks. Then decided to put it back in. This second go round was a little different. I noticed things that missed before. Some of the lyrics just clicked in my head in a different way than the first group of listens and some of the music did the same. So after this period of probably 6 listens, I started to like the album. It grew on me, so to speak.

Then I put the album away for a third time. This time I didn't pick it back up for like 3 months. This time I listened again and on this set of probably 3 listens I started to appreciate so many little things in the songs, so many parts of they lyrics that I always understood, but just didn't click for me. From then on, S&A became an album that I listened to alot. That has carried over to this day where I listen to it probably once every 2 weeks.

And for me, I rarely "skip" RUSH songs when I am listening to an album, even if it's an old album I've had for 20 years, the exception being if I am driving and want to hear a certain song before I get to my destination. The reason for this is even after so many years, there are always things that you can hear, especially on songs you may have not heard in a while because they are songs that aren't your favorites, I might just end up having a certain guitar riff or bass line or lyric that for whatever reason speaks to me in that moment.

I know that there will be the trite "You just want to like or love every RUSH album" or "you just feel pressure to enjoy RUSH songs or albums that you force yourself to listen. Which, IMO, is stupid. Why would I in my car or at my house alone, listen to something I don't like just to listen to it. I get that argument in the postings one can make not wanting to be critical of a RUSH album even when you don't like it because you feel a "pressure" from the RUSH community to not diss an album, but for what it's worth, I am honest when I give my opinions on albums on here, so for me, that criticism isn't correct. For others, who knows. Maybe that is prevalent on TRF, but I don't get people who "lie" on a forum. Maybe it's to fit in or be liked, but I come on here to give my opinions whether they are 98% unpopular, or 98% popular.

All of this said, I respect everyone's opinion on what they think about this 3 or 5 listen "rule". If that is how you judge your music or what you think is a good rule of thumb to go by, more power to you. I don't think you are stupid for following the 3 listen rule or believing that it's "generally" true. I just think you are making a mistake because you could end up missing out on something great. And I am not trying to "convince" anyone that they should listen to albums they don't like, I'm just saying I don't think it's the best way to go about judging an album. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that anyone who follows this or promotes the idea is dumb or stupid. I just don't believe it or think the "idea" is a good one. So hopefully you won't take this personally. Although I know some will.

I am a big believer that music, the way you listen to it, the way you judge it and the why you rate it is 100% based on personal opinion. And I respect your right to have ANY opinion you want. This is just MY opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

One last thing. I don't respect everyone's opinion or them for having them. And those instances would include the extreme opinions that 99.99999% of us would agree on. Like to give an extreme example. If a man has an opinion that it's ok to have sex with young boys because that is just simply how he feels in his heart, well that is obviously something where I would not respect that person's opinion or that person....PERIOD. There are less extreme examples of peoples opinions that make me not respect that opinion or that person, but just for the sake of making my point, I gave the extreme example.

trink39.gif Especially to those of you who subscribe to the ProgArchive "rule of 3 listens theory". I say that seriously, btw.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 12 2012, 09:19 AM)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

5 times?

The only reason for making a rule for me is one of practicality.

Maybe if I had a really small music collection or unlimited time on my hands, I'd listen to albums I really don't like more than 3 to 5 times to try and get into them, but usually that is more than sufficient, and often I don't even get that far. To do otherwise for me is just masochistic - I have far too much great music to waste my time listening to bad music.

That said, if music I listen to has potential and I'm intrigued by it somehow, even if I'm not getting it initially, then I will be more persistent and often rewarded for my persistence, but if I just outright can't stand it, the chances of me suddenly loving it on listen 8 or 12 is way too low for me to bother.

And Rush IS different. They're my favorite group, so I won't discard one of their albums quickly without giving myself every effort to see if it grows on me. It has happened. Fountain of Lamneth and most of the Fly By Night album took me about 20 years to get into. Even then, however, I knew there was something there I just wasn't getting. I was more puzzled by that song and album then had any real dislike, so the persistence paid off. Other Rush songs or albums where I truly couldn't stand them initially, did not feel intrigued by them and where I felt they had NO potential to have them have grow on me never have grown on me.

Usually with Rush if anything I have the opposite problem. I want to like something so much that I overlook aspects I don't like and later on come to the sad realization that I really don't like a song or album as much as I thought I did (or hoped I did) once I got a chance to fully digest and consider it.

Then again, like you said, everyone's different. Everyone has to do it the way it makes sense for them.

Edited by rushgoober

I never really like an album on the first listen. It's always so new and alien. Then the next time I listen to it, I start to remember certain parts and anticipate certain songs. Then the third time I listen to it, I can tell how much I like it and it sets the mood of the next couple years.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Mar 13 2012, 06:48 PM)
I never really like an album on the first listen. It's always so new and alien. Then the next time I listen to it, I start to remember certain parts and anticipate certain songs. Then the third time I listen to it, I can tell how much I like it and it sets the mood of the next couple years.

goodpost.gif

For me, the sign of understanding an album is when I can play back snippets of a few songs in my head, without the music.