I need help picking 2 albums

Cinderella Man

I have been wanting to discover these two bands for a while now. just never got around to it. I would like help from you forum members helping me pick an album of each band that would be the best to get first. My tastes are really from the big 3 , 2.gif ,Pink Floyd ,and YES. Both bands have so many albums its hard to pick just one. any help i would appreciate. Thank you

My choice would be PT - Deadwing and Fear of A Blank Planet. D. T would be - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Scenes From A Memory

Ah, Porcupine Tree. When I first discovered them, it was like striking gold and oil at the same time. I was hooked quickly and permanently.

My favorite album of theirs is Deadwing. But pretty much anything from Stupid Dream on is great, IMHO. The earlier you go in their catalog, the trippier they were. The more recent stuff is harder. They have several great epic songs: Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, Anesthetize, Russia on Ice...

The In Absentia album is not a bad place to start.

Actually, re-reading this, I haven't really helped have I?

laugh.gif

It's all good, is what I'm trying to say.

yes.gif

Enjoy!

I got into Porcupine Tree through The Incident. I liked that album a lot, then I started to dig into the releases right before that and that cemented their place among my collection. The Incident isn't a bad place to start if you like epics, then move onto any of the albums mentioned before, I value all of them pretty much the same.

Dream Theater is the greatest band of all time (besides Rush, of course). My first DT album was Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence but I would definitely recommend starting with Images & Words and then Metropolis, part II: Scenes From a Memory (a great concept album).

As for Porcupine Tree, I don't own any of their albums (yet), but Steven Wilson is a genius, so I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of their albums.

Ok so I got In Absentia, Im really likeing it, sounds awesome with headphones. still deciding on DT, leaning torwards Six Degrees, and Scenes From A Memory. That will be tomorrows Project. I want to thank everyone for taking the time and giving me guidence picking these albums. Ill let you know which DT album i decide on, and what i think of it

QUOTE (CruisingInPrimetime @ Feb 3 2012, 09:23 PM)
I would recommend Systematic Chaos for Dream Theater. In the Presence of Enemies is awesome and it's a just great album all the way through.

The OP said that they wanted to get INTO Dream Theater not get turned off by them right away wink.gif

Yeah, In The Presence Of Enemies rules but that alone isn't enough for me to recomened that album to a new listener. In fact, Systematic Chaos would be one of the last ones you should get. Overall it's not a bad album but DT has much stronger material.

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 3 2012, 08:40 PM)
image and words and deadwing.

goodpost.gif

Gonna Have to agree with this one..

Though "In Absentia" and "Scenes from a Memory" are two very good options as well.

I'm a rather new DT fan. I made the mistake of listening to "When Dream and Day Unite" first this summer. I went onto the Dream Theater thread that's located in the "Music of the Spheres" section. Tick told me about Scenes from a Memory, I went onto youtube and listened to the full album which someone had put up in one video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NvYu20114) and immediately went out and bought it. I became an immediate fan and had the pleasure of seeing them on their "Dramatic Tour of Events". Dream Theater f**kin' rules even without Portnoy (Mangini is pretty damn good). Seriously though, listen to Scenes from a Memory. You'll be hooked if you enjoy listening to good music played by amazing musicians.

Well finally got through the whole CD. And I thought it rocked ,I cant believe I never really listened to them when they first came out. Porcupine Tree also, I really love both CD's will have to make sure i start my collection for both bands. Now i have something to look forward to untill spring when Clockwork Angels comes out. Thank you everyone for all your help I really apreciate all of you taking the time in helping me.

QUOTE (GeddPratLerxst @ Feb 4 2012, 07:47 PM)
I'm a rather new DT fan. I made the mistake of listening to "When Dream and Day Unite" first this summer. I went onto the Dream Theater thread that's located in the "Music of the Spheres" section. Tick told me about Scenes from a Memory, I went onto youtube and listened to the full album which someone had put up in one video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NvYu20114) and immediately went out and bought it. I became an immediate fan and had the pleasure of seeing them on their "Dramatic Tour of Events". Dream Theater f**kin' rules even without Portnoy (Mangini is pretty damn good). Seriously though, listen to Scenes from a Memory. You'll be hooked if you enjoy listening to good music played by amazing musicians.

Great album, but LaBrie's voice simply doesn't fit at some parts. The theme feels forced and kind of "fed" to you. They made a mistake giving his love a name, and on top of that Victoria wasn't a great choice.

Minor complaints, but still...