VH - The Trouble with Never and Blood and Fire

Rod in Toronto

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I clued my buddy into the two new tunes (FULL VERSIONS) and these were his comments. I post it because after a few listens this is exactly how I feel, down to the Vai comments even:

"The Trouble With Never"- Wow. I think this type of song is what people were looking for and expected for the first single. If those fans hear this and don't like it, then they need to turn in their Eddie cards and golock themselves in an empty room somewhere. The riffs in this song are just twisted and sick.. I love it. The wah drenched main riff halfway reminds me of a Satriani/Vai thing (in a good way). The solo is classic badass Eddie. But what really stood out for me was what was underneath the solo: Wolfie and Alex are TIGHT. They've definitiely gelled as a rhythm section. I love that half-tempo breakdown in the middle (speaking part get a pass as it's DLR doing it), the riff is just crushing. VERY excited and happy with this tune. And of course Dave's lyrics are perfect..all kinds of double meanings and wordplay.

"Blood And Fire"- Another excellent tune. Like you said when you heard the preview, has a 1984 vibe to it. Eddie's sound is very clear and chimey with just enough dirt...very classic "brown sound". Not as saturated a tone as he typically has these last few years. And that solo is of course fabulous. He's really baring his teeth again.

Overall, it sounds like a BAND again. There's energy and passion there. VERY excited for the rest of the album!!!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 26 2012, 03:35 PM)
I clued my buddy into the two new tunes (FULL VERSIONS) and these were his comments.  I post it because after a few listens this is exactly how I feel, down to the Vai comments even:

"The Trouble With Never"- Wow. I think this type of song is what people were looking for and expected for the first single. If those fans hear this and don't like it, then they need to turn in their Eddie cards and golock themselves in an empty room somewhere. The riffs in this song are just twisted and sick.. I love it. The wah drenched main riff halfway reminds me of a Satriani/Vai thing (in a good way). The solo is classic badass Eddie. But what really stood out for me was what was underneath the solo: Wolfie and Alex are TIGHT. They've definitiely gelled as a rhythm section. I love that half-tempo breakdown in the middle (speaking part get a pass as it's DLR doing it), the riff is just crushing. VERY excited and happy with this tune. And of course Dave's lyrics are perfect..all kinds of double meanings and wordplay.

"Blood And Fire"- Another excellent tune. Like you said when you heard the preview, has a 1984 vibe to it. Eddie's sound is very clear and chimey with just enough dirt...very classic "brown sound". Not as saturated a tone as he typically has these last few years. And that solo is of course fabulous. He's really baring his teeth again.

Overall, it sounds like a BAND again. There's energy and passion there. VERY excited for the rest of the album!!!

Yes, what he said!

Ok, here's my 2 cents on what I've heard so far. I admit, when I first heard Tattoo I was underwhelmed. I've been talking about the new VH album for months on the radio, and in my head I had a sound I was expecting, and Tattoo was NOT it. However, after listening to it, and subsequently adding it to our currents rotation (I said we HAD to add it unless it was completely crap), I have grown to enjoy the song, although I still am a bit underwhelmed. To me, Tattoo sounds like it would have been on a DLR solo album, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Since then, Interscope has released some snippets of songs, 3 to be exact: Stay Frosty!, Blood and Fire, and China Town.

Ok, Stay Frosty! sounds like Ice Cream Man's cousin. These snippets are all of 90 seconds, so it's hard to judge based on a little clip from a song. Just as the clip gets ready to fade out, it goes from the rambling accoustic Stay Frosty! jive into something that sounds like it could have some hair on it.

Blood and Fire. Not impressed with what I've heard so far from this one. Sounds like others have heard longer clips and it sounds promising. We'll hold judgement.

China Town. This one rips right from the start of the clip. At the beginning of the clip it's all classic Eddie hammering on the fretboard. Alex comes in with a churning double pedal beat and this one just rocks.

I have to admit, and I can't help it, but these songs really lack the harmony of Michael Anthony. Vocally they just don't have the punch of classic VH.

I'm not dogging it.,...yet. Again, I think I was predisposed to an idea of what I thought the album would/should sound like. I'm holding out hope that the album will be good. I don't expect it to be as good as the first album.

There's my review of everything I've heard so far.

Hey, where did ya hear China Town and why ain't ya sharin...? wink.gif How does it stack up to the others? Can ya link it? ( I read you post...just beggin' for a hook up ) biggrin.gif

Oh and here's the clip from CSI with Stay Frosty playing underneath notable BECAUSE it picks up where the clip leaves off. Tasty EVH solo while they're at the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJE7BsemxM&feature=share

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 26 2012, 11:07 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 26 2012, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 26 2012, 10:52 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jan 26 2012, 10:44 AM)
I get the impression that many people would love this album even if it were complete crap just because it is something new (with DLR) laugh.gif

I agree, to a certain extend. People WANT this album to be good. And in all honesty, I like what I've heard so far. In fact, the worst thing I've heard off the new album is Tattoo, but the rest of the songs are great.

Even the Frosty one? new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Stay Frosty was just a snippet...I'm not sure it's wise to comment on the few minutes I've heard, but it's not as bad as people are saying it is. It's a big nod to Ice Cream Man, which is kind of cool. But as soon as the song takes off, the snippet ends!

Stay Frosty is a steaming pile. To me, each release seems to be worse than the previous.

Makes me scared to hear how they may have butchered "She's the Woman".

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 26 2012, 10:35 AM)
Got good links. Listening now. wink.gif

Here's some direct links to the full versions of:

"The Trouble with Never"

http://www.box.com/s/80czjen6cfy48eacle5d

"Blood and Fire"

http://www.box.com/s/9r7ey98umqygoaf91m2m

After listening to each song once, initial impression is that The Trouble With Never is the better song, but Blood and Fire is AT LEAST very good, and the guitar solo rips. The guitars and instrumentation on The Trouble With Never is particularly outstanding - not bad for a bunch of old dudes!

That's just first impression - blood and Fire may grow on me still...

"The Trouble with Never"

"Blood and Fire"

Damn John! You are ruining me!

I'm cheating!

I love both of these songs.

The last 7 seconds of "Blood And Fire" remind me of a Rush song.

"In The End" this album will RULE!!

HATERS will eat their words.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

"The Trouble with Never"

"Blood and Fire"

Thanks PD! I like what I hear of both of these. Sounds like classic original VH to me, and that kicks ass!

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jan 27 2012, 10:51 AM)
Got good links.  Listening now.  wink.gif

"The Trouble with Never"

"Blood and Fire"

Thanks PD! I like what I hear of both of these. Sounds like classic original VH to me, and that kicks ass!

Listen to the "China Town" preview. Prepare yourself...

Every sample/full song that came up this week was spot on... 1022.gif 1022.gif

I have a marathon to run in March, and I'm glad this album will come out before...I'll make sure my mp3 player is full of songs from A Different Kind of Truth helping me get to the finish line!!!