VH - The Trouble with Never and Blood and Fire

Rod in Toronto

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 27 2012, 12:35 PM)
I tell you what...if I was Sammy Ha-ha Hagar right now I'd be digging a hole to hide in it for the next decade or two.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this.

People have waited 30 years for this - Van Halen could put out an album of polka tunes and fans would say it's the greatest thing ever. It's no reflection on Hagar, his time in the band or what he's done since, that people are (mostly) going nuts for the new VH stuff.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 27 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 27 2012, 03:56 PM)
These clips are decent, but really, they are just rehashing tired old grooves...that whole Bottoms Up/Im the One /Full Bug vibe...the difference being that it isnt 1979 anymore, and Roth sounds ridiculous trying to sing that way now..

I was expecting Dave to sound A LOT worse based on his last solo albums and videos of his solo career on youtube. But it works fine for me.

Me too. And he's doing far less reaching than he did on Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More. Overall he should sound far worse than he did 16 years ago and I think his vocals are improved since then. No complaints. Elton John can't hit his high stuff anymore either. Part of it is mistreatment, part of it -- in DLR's case I mean -- is just not ever (really...EVER) being a very good singer. I actually expected him to sound much worse than what I've heard. He's exercising a FAIR AMOUNT of discretion. Again, see the two VH tunes from the '96 hits album where he ignored his limits far more often. One "wow" or whatever isn't killing it for me. He sounds like....ummm....Dave!

Edited by Presto-digitation

These clips are decent, but really, they are just rehashing tired old grooves...that whole Bottoms Up/Im the One /Full Bug vibe...the difference being that it isnt 1979 anymore, and Roth sounds ridiculous trying to sing that way now..

Nothing tired about what I'm hearing, honestly. It moves. It rocks. It's a meat and potatoes rock band. How much more does it need to be than riffy/melodic/good tempo'd...? It seems to have those things based on many of the full songs I've heard and the clips seem pretty promising.

After all, this all started with Tattoo being mid-tempo'd and wimpy and not what anyone really wanted. The latter stuff seems to be a reflection of and an answer to some of the "where's the beef?" criticisms.

Those 90 seconds of China Town sound damn good to this fan.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 27 2012, 05:19 PM)
I tell you what...if I was Sammy Ha-ha Hagar right now I'd be digging a hole to hide in it for the next decade or two.

People have waited 30 years for this - Van Halen could put out an album of polka tunes and fans would say it's the greatest thing ever. It's no reflection on Hagar, his time in the band or what he's done since, that people are (mostly) going nuts for the new VH stuff.

I happen to think that if they released a new album with Sammy Hagar itd be good too... laugh.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:39 PM)
It sounds like VH. I think its pretty good. i dont expect DLR to sound like 1979 anymore than I do Geddy or Roger Daltry or a million other singers.

I must be screwing up - how do I play the new songs on that webpage?

What I did was click on each one, saved it to my hard drive (the name is gibberish, so I just typed the song title as the file name), opened it in real player and voila. Now if the clips disappear, I have them.

Oh and I agree with you. Hard to name a single vocalist who in his mid-to-late 50s is as good as he was at 23 years old, let alone one who was never known to be much of a singer to begin with. Lee is a great example of someone who's voice has changed (has to tune down mightily to play the higher voice stuff) and it's still ok. I'm not so sure Geddy doesn't sound more radically different on record than even Dave does. Dave still has his swagger, if not his glass shattering wails. But then again, few do. Paul Stanley sounds like he's had a cold for about 6 years now with vocal nodes and other things. You get old. Still...this music makes me want to thrash around something stupid. China Town just kicks my ass...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:39 PM)
It sounds like VH.  I think its pretty good.  i dont expect DLR to sound like 1979 anymore than I do Geddy or Roger Daltry or a million other singers.

I must be screwing up - how do I play the new songs on that webpage?

What I did was click on each one, saved it to my hard drive (the name is gibberish, so I just typed the song title as the file name), opened it in real player and voila. Now if the clips disappear, I have them.

Oh and I agree with you. Hard to name a single vocalist who in his mid-to-late 50s is as good as he was at 23 years old, let alone one who was never known to be much of a singer to begin with. Lee is a great example of someone who's voice has changed (has to tune down mightily to play the higher voice stuff) and it's still ok. I'm not so sure Geddy doesn't sound more radically different on record than even Dave does. Dave still has his swagger, if not his glass shattering wails. But then again, few do. Paul Stanley sounds like he's had a cold for about 6 years now with vocal nodes and other things. You get old. Still...this music makes me want to thrash around something stupid. China Town just kicks my ass...

Geddy's voice can be just as rough - it usually isnt, because he had a long way to come down from those epic highs, and he takes SCRUPULOUSLY good care of himself.

Daltrey sounds AWFUL as does Elton John etc.. but my point is.. who cares (live) and with some studio smoothing.. it is what it is.

The REALLY funny thing with DLR is, he sounded like crap live back in the day due to all that high living!

Im not sure I understood how you got the songs, Ill f around with it.

Im now looking forward to this album and the tour.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:40 PM)

I happen to think that if they released a new album with Sammy Hagar itd be good too... laugh.gif

So do I. I'd be VERY excited about a new full record with Hagar. There hasn't been a new one under the VH label in 14 years now! if the songs sounded this cool, I'd be stoked. That DLR hasn't made a full record with them in approaching 30 years now, I'm even MORE excited. It's a bit like being more excited about Ace Frehley playing in Kiss than Vinnie Vincent, who's arguably a better guitarist.

It's simply been a long time and I'm happy to hear it sounding so good. If this shit sounded like Van Halen III, I'd be more than a little put off and not apologetic about shit. Those songs were mostly bad. Dave wouldn't have saved those tunes and neither would Sammy. It wasn't even really Gary's fault in my mind, although that wasn't the greatest fit on the planet. But I don't find much to apologize for here. Is Dave perfect? No, hardly...but he's better than I realistically expected.

My thought was this album will probably sound NO BETTER than Me Wise Magic did in '96. Just thought DLR's voice will sound that good at best because that was so long ago now and voices don't often getter better...they more often than not deteriorate. On all levels this stuff is better than that and I liked Me Wise Magic. I say this admittedly not hearing the whole tunes on these other cuts, so it could go downhill...BUT I've never ultimately liked a clip more than a full song, so it bodes well that if I'm excited, there's something to be excited about.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 27 2012, 05:40 PM)

So do I. I'd be VERY excited about a new full record with Hagar. There hasn't been a new one under the VH label in 14 years now! if the songs sounded this cool, I'd be stoked. That DLR hasn't made a full record with them in approaching 30 years now, I'm even MORE excited. It's a bit like being more excited about Ace Frehley playing in Kiss than Vinnie Vincent, who's arguably a better guitarist.

It's simply been a long time and I'm happy to hear it sounding so good. If this shit sounded like Van Halen III, I'd be more than a little put off and not apologetic about shit. Those songs were mostly bad. Dave wouldn't have saved those tunes and neither would Sammy. It wasn't even really Gary's fault in my mind, although that wasn't the greatest fit on the planet.

Well said. Totally agree.

As much as I'm looking forward to this album, I think I'll avoid the topics about it when it comes out/leaks. I mean, VH are screwed as far as critics are concerned. If they sound like classic VH, then they're rehashing, and if it's newer sounding, then it's not classic enough. They're kinda damned either way.

To be fair though, VH kinda brought this on themselves. First new album since 98 and first with DLR since 1984. The hype can help and hurt them pretty significantly.

I think MOST VH fans of the Roth era will dig it once the full cuts are out there. Are these 13 for 13 classics? I wouldn't necessarily (and can't practically, since I've only heard some in clip form) say that. But I think Roth era folks will be surprised at how much they like it. Yes, the hype can hurt...but these threads have gotten tons of attention on many different rock boards. People are really curious.

From what I've heard Tattoo is the anomaly and not the norm. Those looking to rock out will find it. The whole thing appears much heavier than anticipated.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 05:00 PM)
Click on that afspelan whatever next to the song. Click save and put that somewhere on your computer. You can overwrite the name at that point too with the song title (because the default file name is a million characters of gibberish). Do this for each song. Open real player (iTunes did NOT work for me) or some mp3 player on your computer and click the song. It might prompt you which software you want to read the song. Again, realplayer worked for me. Good luck!

iTunes won't work because they're WMA - Windows Media Audio - files. PC only, non-Apple software only. Windows Media Player, Winamp I think, RealPlayer like you said (they still make RealPlayer? I thought they killed that off a decade ago laugh.gif)

Macs can read WMA's with a program called Perian. It's still a hassle though. That's why people post MP3's, because they're platform neutral.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 27 2012, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 05:36 PM)
Here are all the clips in one file.  MUCH easier this way:

http://www.scottygonline.com/sample.mp3

That's what I'm talkin' about!

Thanks!

Yeah, seriously, thanks P-d! Imagine that - a link where you click and it just starts playing without any complications! smile.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 04:22 PM)
I think MOST VH fans of the Roth era will dig it once the full cuts are out there.  Are these 13 for 13 classics?  I wouldn't necessarily (and can't practically, since I've only heard some in clip form) say that.  But I think Roth era folks will be surprised at how much they like it.  Yes, the hype can hurt...but these threads have gotten tons of attention on many different rock boards.  People are really curious.

From what I've heard Tattoo is the anomaly and not the norm.  Those looking to rock out will find it.  The whole thing appears much heavier than anticipated.

goodpost.gif

VERY well said! Based on what I've heard (full songs and now several other clips), I'm inclined to agree. Some of those clips (from songs I haven't heard at all) sound VERY cool! yes.gif 1022.gif

Edited by rushgoober

I suppose for the hardcore Van Halen fanatic it's good enough but nothing so far comes close to matching the energy and excitement of the old stuff. So I'll probably pass on this new one. None of the three full songs I've heard is on par with the classic first 6 so I'll be happy to stick with those.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 27 2012, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 27 2012, 05:00 PM)

I was expecting Dave to sound A LOT worse based on his last solo albums and videos of his solo career on youtube. But it works fine for me.

Me too. And he's doing far less reaching than he did on Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More. Overall he should sound far worse than he did 16 years ago and I think his vocals are improved since then. No complaints. Elton John can't hit his high stuff anymore either. Part of it is mistreatment, part of it -- in DLR's case I mean -- is just not ever (really...EVER) being a very good singer. I actually expected him to sound much worse than what I've heard. He's exercising a FAIR AMOUNT of discretion. Again, see the two VH tunes from the '96 hits album where he ignored his limits far more often. One "wow" or whatever isn't killing it for me. He sounds like....ummm....Dave!

Part of Roths coolness was his stage antics and epic screams, like at the end of I'm the One and On Fire...he seems to have lost both of those ...so now the songs just seem watered down IMO. If he able to do some jumps off the drum riser then I might warm up some more laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 26 2012, 09:03 PM)
Hey, where did ya hear China Town and why ain't ya sharin...? wink.gif How does it stack up to the others? Can ya link it? ( I read you post...just beggin' for a hook up ) biggrin.gif

Oh and here's the clip from CSI with Stay Frosty playing underneath notable BECAUSE it picks up where the clip leaves off. Tasty EVH solo while they're at the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sJE7BsemxM&feature=share

China Town is on vhnd.com