Ok Rush haters... so it's Geddy's voice?

Soni

Geddy's voice aside, Rush music isn't "sexy" and has no swagger.

Tell that to my wife! cool.gif

But you are right, I think the mainstream rock fan likes music that is more in tune with the whole "sex drugs and rock 'n' roll" mentality. I know on the classic station here in town -- well, before they took it off the air after 20+ years and replaced it with a hip hop station, but that's another story -- Working Man was the one Rush song that got the most airplay. I think because its that blue collar, simple, loud, gutteral type of sound that most fans like. They don't want music that makes them think, outside of thinking about sex. Which, again, explains the popularity of AC/DC. confused13.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Ged's high pitched singing, especially on the earlier records. However, it's definitely an acquired taste. I remember being put off a little at first listening to 2112, but grew to like it over time. Some folks don't have the patience to "get it", they just move on the the next band. I think Moving Pictures was so widely accepted partially due to Geddy toning things down a notch (ok, the songs also rock).

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 25 2012, 12:31 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 25 2012, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 24 2012, 08:55 PM)
Too bad Brian blew his voice out on thr For Those About To Rock tour and has been painful to listen to ever since.

I agree. All the live videos I've seen(not many though) I have always been let down by Johnson's voice. You just can't do that to your voice every night and get away with it.

I cant even listen to the studio stuff...

Can't say I agree with you there. That gravelly, growly voice fits those power riffs on BIB to a T. I think the reason it's so popular is because just about every song on there could be a rock single. Top notch from top to bottom. AC/DC's Moving Pictures if you will.

no power or range anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sq7VfI5X90

Im not a big fan of their songs, but good lord does that sound great, and so does Brian. They're aging pretty well.

Any singer will tell you it is VERY hard to sing like him. He sings really high, with power. Like Geddy did when he was young, except Brian was able to keep it up for far longer.

Sammy Hagar is also in that group. He still sings as high as young Geddy and hasnt lost much quality at all. Dont like his songs at all either. Not too into these basic rock songs with empty lyrics.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 25 2012, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 25 2012, 12:31 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 25 2012, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jan 24 2012, 08:55 PM)
Too bad Brian blew his voice out on thr For Those About To Rock tour and has been painful to listen to ever since.

I agree. All the live videos I've seen(not many though) I have always been let down by Johnson's voice. You just can't do that to your voice every night and get away with it.

I cant even listen to the studio stuff...

Can't say I agree with you there. That gravelly, growly voice fits those power riffs on BIB to a T. I think the reason it's so popular is because just about every song on there could be a rock single. Top notch from top to bottom. AC/DC's Moving Pictures if you will.

no power or range anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sq7VfI5X90

Im not a big fan of their songs, but good lord does that sound great, and so does Brian. They're aging pretty well.

Any singer will tell you it is VERY hard to sing like him. He sings really high, with power. Like Geddy did when he was young, except Brian was able to keep it up for far longer.

I dont think he lasted beyond his 1st 2 records so I disagree

Regarding Brian Johnson's vocal. The singer from Cinderella was about the closest in style that I can recall. They didn't last beyond the hair metal years as far as I know.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 25 2012, 11:41 AM)
Regarding Brian Johnson's vocal. The singer from Cinderella was about the closest in style that I can recall. They didn't last beyond the hair metal years as far as I know.

I saw Cinderella live probably around 2003 or so and Tom Kiefer (singer) sounded amazing. I kept thinking how can a guy growl/scream like that and sound so good. He sounded just like the record.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 24 2012, 08:27 PM)
I think another reason why Geddy gets a bad reputation is because he wasn't showy or flashy and didn't have the same stage presence as guys like Robert Plant and Axle Rose. They had a certain "cool" image while Geddy was a guy wearing a kimono in a prog rock band. Its probably not just his voice.

I don't think so. To a large extent I believe it's mostly his voice. Some people just don't like it. I personally do.

And what's wrong with the kimonos they used to wear??? tongue.gif

When I first heard the early Rush my first thought was "Wow! He can really sing high!" I loved it. I also love his voice in the later albums.

It's part of what I admire about the band.

Edited by LyndseyG

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 26 2012, 05:41 AM)

Ask Earl all about Cinders!! wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 25 2012, 07:43 PM)
I think another reason why Geddy gets a bad reputation is because he wasn't showy or flashy and didn't have the same stage presence as guys like Robert Plant and Axle Rose. They had a certain "cool" image while Geddy was a guy wearing a kimono in a prog rock band. Its probably not just his voice.

I don't think so. To a large extent I believe it's mostly his voice. Some people just don't like it. I personally do.

Personally, I thought Ged looked rather sexy in that kimono..! tempted.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 24 2012, 12:42 PM)
THEN WHY IS THIS THE BEST SELLING ROCK ALBUM EVER??!!
http://s2.e-monsite.com/2010/02/23/58435588acdc-back-in-black-cover-jpg.jpg
I just don't get it...
seriously!

Nice new av

and great point

AC/DC is obnoxious

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 25 2012, 03:57 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 24 2012, 12:42 PM)
THEN WHY IS THIS THE BEST SELLING ROCK ALBUM EVER??!!
http://s2.e-monsite.com/2010/02/23/58435588acdc-back-in-black-cover-jpg.jpg
I just don't get it...
seriously!

Nice new av

and great point

AC/DC is obnoxious

AC/DC Rocks! Sure all the records sound the same but they Rock. Angus comes up with some great riffs.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jan 25 2012, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 25 2012, 03:57 PM)

AC/DC is obnoxious

AC/DC Rocks! Sure all the records sound the same but they Rock. Angus comes up with some great riffs.

only riff by him i like:

http://youtu.be/o018byLnMFM

I don't really like anything else about them.. She's got the jack, It's a Long Way to the Top if you want to suck big balls... etc.

I totally was hooked on Rush cause of Geddy's singing, if you listen to some of rush's softer stuff like Tears, or Available Light especially Available light, he has a wonderful and a powerful voice. he sings in tune

if you were to replace Geddy's singing with some else, it wouldnt work. it wouldnt be Rush anymore IMO anyways

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 24 2012, 07:37 PM)
I love Brian Johnson's voice. He isnt really trying to be a good skilled singer, not trying to do something he's unable to do well. So he just goes for a very high pitched distorted bluesy kind of sound. Very unique and original.

Geddy on the other hand is trying to do something age wont allow him to do well anymore, so it's painful to listen to, at least in live recordings anyway.

You have got to be kidding with this tripe.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jan 26 2012, 12:01 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 24 2012, 07:37 PM)
I love Brian Johnson's voice. He isnt really trying to be a good skilled singer, not trying to do something he's unable to do well. So he just goes for a very high pitched distorted bluesy kind of sound. Very unique and original.

Geddy on the other hand is trying to do something age wont allow him to do well anymore, so it's painful to listen to, at least in live recordings anyway.

You have got to be kidding with this tripe.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 25 2012, 02:43 PM)

Compared to the mullets, there was nothing wrong with the kimonos. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 24 2012, 09:27 PM)

I have to disagree, only FANS would even know he went thru the kimono phase, especially back then when there was no internet. Back then it was based on radio play and the bottom line is, some people just don't like his high voice. My brother's wife thought that RUSH had a female lead singer until about a year ago. She is in her early 30's and did know the basic popular RUSH songs. Yet she still didn't like who she thought was a female lead singer because "she" sang so high and sometimes screechy. So it all comes down to a matter of taste, IMO.

I have known people who hated Geddy's voice, but I forced them to listen to RUSH constantly (I had the car so you listen to my RUSH!) and they ended up not only liking RUSH but liking Geddy's voice. I think if more people just gave them a chance, that is if their only gripe is the voice, they would end up RUSH fans.

QUOTE (Queslington @ Jan 25 2012, 09:53 PM)
I love Geddy's voice, but my opinion doen't really count because my other favorite voices are James LaBrie, Ronnie James Dio, Maynard James Keenan, and Les Claypool. unsure.gif

I love Ronnie James Dio's voice!

But your opinion matters as much as any other opinion on this forum, although some would like to believe otherwise. ohmy.gif

The Ged's unique vocals are what gave RUSH

their identifiable sound, back in the 70's.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 24 2012, 05:51 PM)
Brian Johnson's voice isn't nearly as whiny as geddys...its more of a high pitched growl..I love geddys classic vocals, but I get why people rip on it.

Especially the Kings/Hemispheres voice. I know these two are beloved here, by IMO this is the era that keeps them out of the Hall of Fame.