Best Ged song intro on live album?

laughedatbytime

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 22 2012, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM)
Geddy's "banter" is so stilted and forced that it's comical.

I still prefer it to Springsteen's 5 minute stories, though.

But both pale in comparison to Peter Gabriel's stories with Genesis in the early 70s.

"I am Britannia!"

No doubt, Gabriel was the master. The hour concert video from 1973 with Gabriel is my favorite music video ever.

"I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one two buckle my shoe lol

This is a song about scotland, this is called resist (DS)

This song is called hold your fire lol while introducing mission in Glasgow 2/10/07

This is the spirit of radio!

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jan 22 2012, 06:27 PM)
"Hello Oregonians" while playing the Sleep Country Amphitheater in Ridgefield (just north of Vancouver), WASHINGTON
(OK, in fairness, he's not the first guy in a band to say the same thing and the venue is located in what is basically a suburb of Portland, OR)
I love the fact that the 2 times I've seen them at The Gorge Amphitheater that he has mentioned what a beautiful place it is (cuz it's true).

Okay, I'm not from Oregon or WA - I came down to that show from Canada - but where else would Oregonians go to see Rush? I assumed that the majority of people at that show were from Oregon, since they played at WRA the year before and they also played at the Gorge in 2011. On the other hand, if I was from WA, I guess that intro might have bothered me.

As for Geddy's intro's, I like them cuz they're short and to the point. My favourite is when he introduces Neil's drum solo on ATWAS, "the professor on the drum kit!"

2.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

When I saw them in 2010 in St. Louis Geddy asked the crowd about some pigeon incident. Apparently some band, don't remember who, was pooped on by pigeons and they left the stage. In a funny and very unrehearsed sounding moment Geddy cocks his thumb at Alex and says, "Don't worry, we aren't leaving no matter how many pigeons shit on him."

"Because we're about a hundred, we have to take a short break" NEVER gets old laugh.gif And I don't how often he says this, but after his usual "We've got about 100 songs for you tonight" in Hershey last April, he continued, "I hope you've been to the bathroom!" He also complimented New York on its State Fair while in Syracuse for that show. I thought it was nice that he said that, even if he didn't get to see much of it.

QUOTE (Apollo @ Jan 23 2012, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jan 22 2012, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM)
Geddy's "banter" is so stilted and forced that it's comical.

I still prefer it to Springsteen's 5 minute stories, though.

But both pale in comparison to Peter Gabriel's stories with Genesis in the early 70s.

"I am Britannia!"

No doubt, Gabriel was the master. The hour concert video from 1973 with Gabriel is my favorite music video ever.

"I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"

yes.gif If you are referring to Shepperton 1973, then yes, that is one of the best concert videos ever.

Robert Plant was the best at between song banter.

He is more clever and funny than most people realize.

There is a website dedicated just to the banter he came out with.

http://www.rambleonzep.com/

Just one example: 1975-02-16 St-Louis

"I think after that one should say, amen. Now it's no good shoutin' for a drum stick - we've got hours to do yet. Right, so now where were we? So. In between, uh, Kansas City, do you know where Kansas City? Yeah? Our friend, Mr Bonham, got arrested there about four years ago. Remember that, John, the jail? Fantastic..."

-----------------

"I said he was one of the best. He's the best! John Bonham! Oh dear, and I've known him since he was a child. Childhood friends, childhood friends. It's amazing we've walked so far together. Anyway, I'm gonna hop on one foot for a bit."

-----------------

"Good eveening! John Bonham... the 'Heavy Metal Kid'... takes to the drums."

Edit:

OK, another example: 1977-06-21 Los Angeles

(Bonham's cymbal needs repairing and Plant is killing some time)

"Some trouble with the musical equipment up here. Right now, the man who fought, the man who fought against the elements... The man who fought food poisoning. The man who drinks Heineken. The man who doesn't get out of bed. The man who hasn't got a cymbal...

"The man who's having a chat with his man who knows the man who tunes Jimmy's guitar who comes from Scotland, and doesn't know the man they call Tim, but does know Audrey from Dallas. Thank you. Shh, hang on...

"The man who now learns how to construct his own drum kit. The man who's not very professional. Shut up, wait a bit, shhh. The man who said he could go back to a building site anytime, and we all agreed. The man who's holding up the show. The rhinestone cowgirl. Come on, Bonzo, get on with it. That's what the quaalude stagger is...

"The man who played the Los Angeles Aztecs and beat them 10-1 by himself. The man who, one wonders, is he worth waiting for, and doesn't really realize there's a curfew here. A childhood friend. A man who many people once said, 'Never heard of him', John Bonham. Over the Top!"

Edited by Scobie

Commercial recordings?

Probably the Lakeside park intro from All The World's A Stage and the intro for Jacob's Ladder on Exit...Stage Left....Mostly because those are so different than the usual faire.

There's a few that haven't been released, one of which was the intro to Cold fire which was mentioned earlier.

I like it a lot more when he goes off the grid.

At least he got out of the "Thank you, Thank you very much" rut. Even my wife joked about that one for a while....

Yea I think I remember Ged stating in an interview that his stage banter being sort of ordinary resulted from the fact that he was not comfortable speaking to the crowd -- in fact, notice on all of the early footage of the band with Rutsey, and notice he is the one doing all the introductions and in-between song banter.

Then once Ged got more comfortable I think it became more a feeling of necessity. Sort of like, "I guess we need to say something!" The feeling that they needed to connect with the audience on a more personal level.

Now I think he is more easy going about it. He does throw in the odd funny comment but most of it is still rehearsed. "We need to go away for some brain surgery"...."We have wayyy too many songs to play" or "We have about a million songs to play for you"...

Actually they should let Al say more! Not necessarily the old rants, but more in-between interaction with the audience.

Oh, and my fave Ged live moment: "One, two, buckle my shoe!" (ATWAS)

Edited by wilb1972

'Hope to see you again sometimes - bye, bye'

Always a great moment at the end of a show especially when you know you have a ticket for the next one.

This is the one that always reassures me that they are coming back.

The day Geddy stops saying this is when you will KNOW for Sure that it is the end of the band.

"We hope to see you all again sometime,,,,,Thank you! Goodnight!

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 23 2012, 01:18 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jan 22 2012, 05:23 PM)
a-one two three FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUR

Love that one! trink39.gif

Oh....Noooooeeeeessssss

I think the stand-up comedy routine the gedster

does , right before RUSH plays Coldfire is classic!

Another favorite is: " This is a song about a car...Red Barchetta"

I remember at the Hold Your Fire show Geddy saying something to the audience like "why are you all looking up there?....We're over here!". Everybody in the audience knew that red balloons were going to be dropped from the ceiling but didn't know exactly when it was going to happen.

"We have another RED song for ya...this is called Red...Sector...A!"

"here's one you might remember... this is called Subdivisions"

QUOTE (Phantom @ Jan 23 2012, 08:08 PM)
On Counterparts tour, as they went into playing " Cold Fire ", Alex is playing a country/western guitar twang, and Geddy says talks of the new direction of the band... Country and Western

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocBngOFeFY

wow, that was amazing,ged sounds great here yes.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Jan 25 2012, 04:32 AM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Jan 23 2012, 08:08 PM)
On Counterparts tour, as they went into playing " Cold Fire ", Alex is playing a country/western guitar twang, and Geddy says talks of the new direction of the band... Country and Western

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocBngOFeFY

wow, that was amazing,ged sounds great here yes.gif

From A View From The Palace pro shot DVD boot. A must have.

Edited by driventotheedge