Rush is a "Power trio"(check Wiki)

gestet2112

What are your ultimate 3 Rush albums you'd pay HUGE to see LIVE?

Since the Rush catalog is so HUGE, if you have more than 1 group of 3 albums prioritize them in groups of THREE!

Each album would be played LIVE in its entirety in sequence.

If you choose albums pre GuP it assumes that Geddy's voice LIVE today would match his voice during the time the album was recorded for integrity/fantasy purposes.

As time goes by & your moods change & life experiences evolve, feel free to come back here to RE-PRIORITIZE your list & feel free to state WHY since we're all curious here.

Here's a sample:

1. 2112, AFTK, HEMISPHERES

2. RUSH, FBN, CoS

3.PeW, MP, SIGNALS

QUOTE (gestet2112 @ Jan 21 2012, 12:08 PM)
Since the Rush catalog is so HUGE, if you have more than 1 group of 3 albums prioritize them in groups of THREE!
If you choose albums pre GuP it assumes that Geddy's voice LIVE today would match his voice during the time the album was recorded for integrity/fantasy purposes.
As time goes by & your moods change & life experiences evolve, feel free to come back here to RE-PRIORITIZE your list & feel free to state WHY since we're all curious here.

Here's a sample:

2. RUSH, FBN, CoS
3.PeW, MP, SIGNALS

I notice your chosen trios are sequential!

I would love:

-Hemispheres

-Counterparts

-Vapor Trails

Can I also request Geddy's My Favorite Headache as an encore? tongue.gif

Three albums = more or less a 3 hour show. Making the assumptions set forth for me it would be:

1 Counterparts, Presto & 2112.

Why? IMO Counterparts & Presto have a lot of interesting material that I do not believe they have ever played live and which I would like to hear live. 2112 because it kick butt and is my favorite Rush album.

Open with Counterparts. Play it and the 1st half of Presto. Give the guys their break, let them resume with the title track to Presto and the 2nd half of the album. Then let it rip with 2112.

2. Fly By Night, Hold Your Fire, Power Windows.

Why? I like all 3 albums and I think it would be interesting to see how the last 2 translate to a complete live performance. Plus, again their is a fair amount of material that I have not heard live in person. Plus it would be neat to see them do Tai Shan (which I happen to like). How they would actually pull it off....

Open with Fly By Night. Play it and the first half of Hold Your Fire. Give the guys their well earned break, let them come back starting with "Lock & Key" and the 2nd half of Hold Your Fire. Then finish up with Power Windows.

I'd probably just go with my three favorites:

Caress of Steel

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Signals might be swapped in there depending on the mood I'm in.

Alternatively, I'd enjoy a set that looked like this:

Rush

Counterparts

Presto

Those are three albums I feel are very underrated and have a heck of a lot of good songs.

QUOTE (Mika @ Jan 21 2012, 04:37 PM)

Here's a sample:

2. RUSH, FBN, CoS
3.PeW, MP, SIGNALS

I notice your chosen trios are sequential!

I would love:

-Hemispheres

-Counterparts

-Vapor Trails

Can I also request Geddy's My Favorite Headache as an encore? tongue.gif

Sure np. Good suggestion. wink.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jan 21 2012, 08:43 PM)
And tickets would be much cheaper and/or venues would be much smaller...

Agreed. For example when Rush first started touring on the road they played small clubs/bars then became the supporting act in larger venues before they Headlined. Ideally a 3-5000 seat venue like Massey Hall in Toronto would be the best Live concert experience.

Hemi

AFTK

Sig

QUOTE (Majestyk @ Jan 23 2012, 02:20 PM)
I was watching Cheers the other day and Woody Boyd proclaimed that one of his wishes in life was to be a drummer in a power trio.  I have to wonder if the writer of that dialog was thinking about Rush.  smile.gif

I'm pretty sure later on in the episode he says it was Cream. I'm not positive though. Cheers trink38.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jan 21 2012, 11:20 PM)

2. RUSH, FBN, CoS
3.PeW, MP, SIGNALS

I could live with these

+1----That would be a perfect RUSH concert.

yes.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif cool10.gif 2.gif

2. RUSH, FBN, CoS

3.PeW, MP, SIGNALS

I could live with these

+1----That would be a perfect RUSH concert.

Sorry about the screw up, I posted wrong and tried to correct it... I was trying to say, although it wasn't the entire 3 LP's, I saw #1 in 1978.

Edited by youngoldman