Would It Kill Somebody To Throw Us A Bone?

presto123

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Feb 16 2012, 12:48 AM)
QUOTE (Svartmetall @ Feb 15 2012, 05:39 PM)
#Why are we here?
We want to hear!
Throw some bones
Throw some bones

But still we all wait
For the release date
Throw some bones
Throw some bones#

rofl3.gif Classic:) Let me add:

Why won't it happen

Because I'm crappin

Throw some bones

Throw some bones

Jack Relax....only be 8 more months max....

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Feb 15 2012, 10:17 PM)
Didn't you hear? It came out yesterday. They decided on a Valentine's Day release because there are seven love songs on it. Three of them are power ballads.

I got it. The power ballads are awesome. My fave is "God Loves You, and So Do I." Unexpected coming from Neil, but man, what a great track! yes.gif 1022.gif

tongue.gif

If Rush would just get back to creating cinematic music, and an alleged concept piece gives them the opportunity, then I will be happy even if the album is a dud. For me, Rush's strength has always been in their playing - just look how well-received TCE was on the last tour - and making the music match the content, that is what drew me too them. These days we seem to get music stitched on to lyrics because it's "worthy" rather than it bringing anything to the lyrical themes. Contrast the atmosphere and emotion in the music of Subdivisions with the relatively straightforward fare that accompanies "Armor and Sword". Rush are brilliant musicians and the best received tracks live are where they demonstrate their chops and their inventiveness.

To be brutally honest, so much time has passed that I don't really care much anymore. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I loved the first two tracks, but since I don't, I'm not expecting a lot. I already know there's no chance of me loving the entire album, but at this stage in their career, that chance was remote anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the album and quickly ingest it the day it comes out, but my enthusiasm level at this point is low. Too many years have passed and too many delays...

I do hope, however, that them being on a new label gets them a major publicity push, as they've released studio albums so infrequently now, that they have nothing really to build on in terms of public interest, other than their longevity and continual status as icons. Unless something changes in the marketing scheme, however, I foresee only hardcore existing fans will be interested in this album.

Edited by rushgoober

Each day, I'm more and more concerned that this album is going to be another S&A in a sense. Sure, S&A had its good moments, but it was still mediocre at best. I'm really worried that the guys are making new music JUST to make some old fans happy and remember the "old days". Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I've only known this band since around 1998 when I was four, so 13/14 years of listening to Rush is nowhere compared to the fans who have listened for almost 40 years now.

But I'm holding out hope here. Perhaps this is going to be their last 'big thing' in the studio. Maybe it will be their swan song. One last album, one last really gigantic tour, hang up the guitars and sticks, and call it a career. I would be happy with that and I'm sure many others would be too. And I don't want to see them retire...but I don't want to see some very long time "fans" constantly beat the band up for not making "Hemispheres" or "A Farewell to Kings" every year.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 16 2012, 11:31 PM)
Each day, I'm more and more concerned that this album is going to be another S&A in a sense. Sure, S&A had its good moments, but it was still mediocre at best. I'm really worried that the guys are making new music JUST to make some old fans happy and remember the "old days". Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I've only known this band since around 1998 when I was four, so 13/14 years of listening to Rush is nowhere compared to the fans who have listened for almost 40 years now.

But I'm holding out hope here. Perhaps this is going to be their last 'big thing' in the studio. Maybe it will be their swan song. One last album, one last really gigantic tour, hang up the guitars and sticks, and call it a career. I would be happy with that and I'm sure many others would be too. And I don't want to see them retire...but I don't want to see some very long time "fans" constantly beat the band up for not making "Hemispheres" or "A Farewell to Kings" every year.

I would be thrilled and ecstatic beyond belief if they made an album of the caliber of S&A!

No, it's far from their finest album, and I actually rate it 14 out of their 18 studio albums, but still it was so easily their best since CP, and prior to that, HYF.

It also contained what I thought were 3 fantastic songs (Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels and the absolute classic Armor & Sword), 3 high-quality instrumentals, and a couple of other very good tracks to go along with some minor clunkers. Still, that much good or great material was so much more than I ever expected. If the next album is even half as successful, I'll be happy for a couple more great tracks, as after all, this is almost definitely going to be their last studio effort...

QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 17 2012, 12:31 AM)
Each day, I'm more and more concerned that this album is going to be another S&A in a sense.

Each day more and more... why? You're not getting information each day. You don't know anything more about it than you did a year ago, with the exception of the one recent news item from the album's novelist. Why would you grow increasingly worried about it?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Feb 17 2012, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 17 2012, 12:31 AM)
Each day, I'm more and more concerned that this album is going to be another S&A in a sense.

Each day more and more... why? You're not getting information each day. You don't know anything more about it than you did a year ago, with the exception of the one recent news item from the album's novelist. Why would you grow increasingly worried about it?

Lack of info in a world where info is accessed in the blink of an eye can f**k with a person's mind

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 17 2012, 01:36 AM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 16 2012, 11:31 PM)

I would be thrilled and ecstatic beyond belief if they made an album of the caliber of S&A!

No, it's far from their finest album, and I actually rate it 14 out of their 18 studio albums, but still it was so easily their best since CP, and prior to that, HYF.

It also contained what I thought were 3 fantastic songs (Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels and the absolute classic Armor & Sword), 3 high-quality instrumentals, and a couple of other very good tracks to go along with some minor clunkers. Still, that much good or great material was so much more than I ever expected. If the next album is even half as successful, I'll be happy for a couple more great tracks, as after all, this is almost definitely going to be their last studio effort...

huh.gif

unsure.gif fing.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Feb 17 2012, 09:56 AM)
I would  be thrilled and ecstatic beyond belief if they made an album of the caliber of S&A!

It also contained what I thought were 3 fantastic songs (Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels and the absolute classic Armor & Sword), 3 high-quality instrumentals, and a couple of other very good tracks to go along with some minor clunkers.  Still, that much good or great material was so much more than I ever expected.  If the next album is even half as successful, I'll be happy for a couple more great tracks, as after all, this is almost definitely going to be their last studio effort...

unsure.gif fing.gif bolt.gif

confused13.gif

Care to elaborate?

FWIW, I want to know as little as possible about the new recording before I listen to it. I'd rather have the opportunity to form my own impressions rather than have those impressions influenced by what someone else thinks after they listen to it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 17 2012, 11:20 AM)
i remember geddy saying they had a smoking jam that created far cry. sorry ged but i don't hear it. what's more frustrating is they are probably going to add it to the playlist again on the next tour. brutal.

OMG so frustrating. So frustrating I may not even go see the show if Far Cry is played!

Dammit! Argh!!

Maybe it was not a smoking jam but they were smoking jam while playing...?

that might give them the idea things were a bit wilder than they really were?

Can't say because I never smoked jam.

I thought the Main Monkey Bussiness at times sounded like something you might hear coming from the pa speakers on a Jungle excursion Ride at Disney Land. Kind of plodding along while watching the mechanical rhinos and elephants...

Edited by druid13

There are a few classics on SnA for sure but too many plodding straight ahead songs by Rush standards. I appreciate their willingness to go outside the box a bit but the last thing I want to hear on a Rush record is folk, blues, and Irish shanty(Hope).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 17 2012, 12:36 AM)
I would  be thrilled and ecstatic beyond belief if they made an album of the caliber of S&A!

It also contained what I thought were 3 fantastic songs (Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels and the absolute classic Armor & Sword), 3 high-quality instrumentals, and a couple of other very good tracks to go along with some minor clunkers.  Still, that much good or great material was so much more than I ever expected.  If the next album is even half as successful, I'll be happy for a couple more great tracks, as after all, this is almost definitely going to be their last studio effort...

I agree with most of this assessment. Workin' Them Angels and Armor and Sword are stand-out tunes for me as well (I'm not the biggest Far Cry fan, though; I often skip it and go right to A&S). I dig all three instrumentals, especially MalNar. I can't stand Spindrift, but I rate all of the other songs in the decent-to-good range, and I'd actually rank the album on the whole about sixth out of Rush's studio efforts.

So I'd be quite happy with a new record at the S&A level of quality. If Caravan and BU2B are any indication, I think I've got a lot of great material to look forward to.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 17 2012, 01:08 AM)
To be brutally honest, so much time has passed that I don't really care much anymore. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I loved the first two tracks, but since I don't, I'm not expecting a lot. I already know there's no chance of me loving the entire album, but at this stage in their career, that chance was remote anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the album and quickly ingest it the day it comes out, but my enthusiasm level at this point is low. Too many years have passed and too many delays...

I do hope, however, that them being on a new label gets them a major publicity push, as they've released studio albums so infrequently now, that they have nothing really to build on in terms of public interest, other than their longevity and continual status as icons. Unless something changes in the marketing scheme, however, I foresee only hardcore existing fans will be interested in this album.

Why would you are if being on a new label gets them publicity? People either like Rush, or they don't?!?! Do you think that gaining popularity and winning them a Grammy or getting inducted into the R&R HoF is a big deal? who care?!?!

As long as it's another quality album from them, it's fine with this old fan!

I could care less if I hear anything on the radio because I DON'T listen to radio...I have my CD player in my house and car, and my iPod, and can program my OWN day! Some dimwitted DJ playing a Rush song isn't going to make me happy whatsoever?!?!

I must admit its getting frustrating, to be waiting day after day from some kind of news from the RUSH camp concerning the release date of Clockwork Angels. At least release another single so we can keep salivating!

drool1.gif