An Enemy Without

Which is your favorite?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes and Arrows

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 5 2012, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jan 5 2012, 01:14 PM)
S&A is among their 5 best, VT is among their 5 worst. T4E is in the bottom half.

It's amazing how different one Rush fan is to another. You think it's one of the top 5 best albums from one of the best bands of all time, and I think S&A is one of the worst albums Ive heard in the last 10 years of any band. Im not exaggerating. It's just total garbage to my ears.

Wide variety of likes and dislikes for sure.

I personally like all three albums listed very much and for various reasons. I cannot pick a "worst" album from my favorite band and to be honest, I don't understand the point of trying to do so but like you said, we rush fans are all very different from one another.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is more like it.

Vapor Trails gets my vote because it combines bad songwriting with crappy production. The music on S&A had no cohesion outside of the lyrics and most of it was very blah but it did have good production. T4E was the best of the three in that it had some decent songs on it but also had some very forgettable ones.

Starting with T4E the band started to lose me. I would be hard pressed to name all of the songs on those three records which would not be true of all of their other recordings.

If you substitute Roll The Bones for S&A, these probably would be my "mediocre bunch" but still not a "sorry bunch."

TFE is Rush's most mediocre record, RTB has some higher highs but also lower lows, VT has some great songs derailed by the arrangment and production.

Not "stinkers," but these would be my least favorite Rush albums.

Edited by They Bow Defeated

TFE by a mile.

It's either my 6th or 7th fav, depending on the day.

Vapor Trails and S&A are both rather bland, with S&A being slower and less dynamic, so I'll give 2nd place to VT.

Voted for S & A. Lot of good songs (Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Workin' Them Angeles, The Larger Bowl, The Main Monkey Business, The Way The Wind Blows, Hope & We Hold On). The others are ok. No songs I really don't like.

Test for Echo is a good solid album with a number of songs that I like (esp. Resist) but unfortunately the album is dragged down by Dog Years which I now just skip over. Can't take the song. Still it would be in 2nd place for me.

Vapor Trails is not one of my favorites. I have tried but just don't care for the album. Perhaps it is the production. Then again, sometimes it takes me some time to get to like some Rush albums and / or songs. Took me the better part of 20 years to get to like Presto and Counterparts but now I like both a lot. If it takes 20 years and I get to like the album thats fine. Hopefully it will age like those two (or like a good wine).

Till then Vapor Trails is in last place amount these 3.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jan 5 2012, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 5 2012, 03:09 PM)
I think S&A is one of the worst albums Ive heard in the last 10 years of any band. Im not exaggerating.

That's a pretty bold statement. There are a ton of bad bands and bad songs out there.

Well I havent heard every band on Earth. Im just saying of what Ive heard over the last 10 years, S&A is near the bottom of the list.

Another favorite band of mine is The Mars Volta (who I found out about through Neil). They put out an album called Octahedron which I really didnt like compared to their previous albums. I was very disappointed in it, but when I listen to it now compared to S&A it sounds miles better to me.

It tells me that even disappointing albums from other bands I like are much better than S&A. Rush doesnt even bother trying to play anything difficult at all anymore which irritates me as a musician. I love to play Rush songs, but if they are going to keep writing these average rock songs, then what the hell is left from what I used to love about them?

Even this song from Octahedron which I really dont love has some mean ass bass playing in the chorus. I cant even find any of this in any Rush songs anymore. When is the last time any of us heard Geddy play like that? 20+ years.

Song doenst start until 0:40

VT gets the vote..it's just alittle bit better then S&A,imo.

All three have good to great tunes on them.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 5 2012, 09:24 PM)
I think S&A is one of the worst albums Ive heard in the last 10 years of any band. Im not exaggerating.

That's a pretty bold statement. There are a ton of bad bands and bad songs out there.

Well I havent heard every band on Earth. Im just saying of what Ive heard over the last 10 years, S&A is near the bottom of the list.

Another favorite band of mine is The Mars Volta (who I found out about through Neil). They put out an album called Octahedron which I really didnt like compared to their previous albums. I was very disappointed in it, but when I listen to it now compared to S&A it sounds miles better to me.

It tells me that even disappointing albums from other bands I like are much better than S&A. Rush doesnt even bother trying to play anything difficult at all anymore which irritates me as a musician. I love to play Rush songs, but if they are going to keep writing these average rock songs, then what the hell is left from what I used to love about them?

Even this song from Octahedron which I really dont love has some mean ass bass playing in the chorus. I cant even find any of this in any Rush songs anymore. When is the last time any of us heard Geddy play like that? 20+ years.

Yeah, but lets see if The Mars Volta continues to write stuff like this into their 40s and 50s. They are much younger than Rush. Rock musicians play with the most piss and vinegar in their 20s and 30s.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 5 2012, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 5 2012, 09:24 PM)

Yeah, but lets see if The Mars Volta continues to write stuff like this into their 40s and 50s. They are much younger than Rush. Rock musicians play with the most piss and vinegar in their 20s and 30s.

They arent that much younger. They are in their mid-late 30s. Their bass player is in his mid-40s I think.

I dont think they will last as long as Rush, or be nearly as productive. They only have 5 studio albums out.

What Rush did was unusual due to when they came out, when it was normal for a band to put out 1-2 albums a year.

TMV is a great band, but with Octahedron I think they are already starting to slide, and I still think that album is way better than what Rush has done recently. That's my only point, I have a bunch of bands who have put out better albums than the 3 Rush albums listed here.

I chose VT since I do hear an energy in some of the songs that I dont hear on T4E or snakes.

Snakes is my favorite. I just can't get into the sound of Vapor Trails, and Test For Echo, while having one of my favorite Rush songs (Resist) also has some of my least favorites. While songs like Far Cry and We Hold On from Snakes aren't quite as high on my list as Resist, there aren't any that are way down in the ranks, either. On average, the album does better than Test For Echo.