Your musical timeline

Lost In Xanadu

With the new Facebook "Timeline" thing they are introducing... what is your musical timeline. Go back as far as your memory lets you and list the music you listened to, albums, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs you bought and how it morphed and grew into what you listen to today. You don't have to list everything, just main influences.

For me...

Michael Jackson (childhood)

Bobby Brown/Paula Abdul (grade school)

Billy Joel/Huey Lewis/Eddie Money (middle school)

Beatles/Boston/The Police/Van Halen/Led Zep/Pink Floyd/Rush (High School)

Sting/Matthew Sweet/Gin Blossoms/Spin Doctors/Shania Twain/Garth Brooks (College)

I still listen to everyone listed with the exception of the Hip Hop stuff and the country. Well, not totally, there are still a couple songs hanging around that will always have a place on my iPod - but for the most part, no hip hop or country.

Cool thread!

Childhood

Cartoons and anime themes, songwriter Edoardo Bennato

Teen years

I have a clear memory of buying the single Eye of the Tiger by Survivor (from Rocky whatever).

Also, crappy radio pop and rock. Truly shameful things. Historic pop-rock band Pooh. Truly shameful too.

High school years, part One

Alan Parsons Project. Alan Parsons Project. Alan Parsons Project. Did I mention Alan Parsons Project? My gateway to prog. Also, some band named Pink Floyd.

High school years, part Two

I discover METAL! Black Sabbath! Iron Maiden! Mercyful Fate! Helloween! Metallica! Led Zeppelin! Other dreadful bands! The journey into prog continues: Crimson, Yes, ELP, Marillion, Tull. Also, I start listening to a band called The Beatles.

College years

Which wasn't college at all, but you get the picture. I get into The Who and never come out again.

Also, I keep reading great things about a band called Rush.

Young worker years

Tori Amos! The first woman to really appeal to my musical tastes. A little flirt with trip hop. Portishead. Morcheeba. Alpha. You have to go with the times.

Grunge comes along: Soundgarden only.

Old worker years (now)

World music but with style. Iranian metal. Armenian rock. Indian pop. The odd good pop song here and there. DIY artists. Underground bands like Hammers of Misfortune. Plus, obviously, more or less all of the above.

Childhood - The Monkees and The Partridge Family laugh.gif

Pre Teen - Kiss, Ted Nugent, Queen , Alice Cooper

Teen - Yes, Kansas, Black Sabbath, Van Halen , Judas Priest, Iron Maiden ect. and a Ton of Jazz

Adult - Speed/Prog/Power/ Death Metal , Allman Brothers ect.

Pre teen - ashamed to admit it but it was the top-40 bullshit of the mid 80s

First real 'band' that I liked was the J. Giles Band when Freeze Frame came out.

In 6th grade, Quiet Riot released Metal Health and I never listened to shitty music again.

In the summer between 6th grade and 7th grade I discovered Rush and became obsessed.

Around 9th/10th grade, I realized that there ACUALLY were other bands making good music than Rush and got into Zeppelin, Yes, The Who, Floyd, Hendrix (pretty much in that order)

Got to college and chilled out a bit cool10.gif . Got into the Grateful Dead (although I grew up with this for years with my older brother) and the Allman Brothers.

In my early adulthood, I pretty much got into EVERYTHING from the golden era of music ('68-'73).

A big part of my musical history was the formation of Gov't Mule. As many know, I love Warren Haynes' music (knowing him from numerous Allman Brothers sows). The formation of the Mule was huge for me. The long lost art of the power trio was re-invented. Why the hell hasn't there been any decent power trios since the 70's??????????????? Allen Woody (bass) is the shit. God, I miss him rose.gif

Recently, I've gotten into the Black Crowes again. The Warpaint album was the first album (released in modern times) in probably 15 years that I loved at first listen. Luther Dickenson is the perfect 'lead' guitar player for that band. They followed that up with 'Before The Frost' which is almost as good. What an awesome live band.

I have rambled enough. Good night. trink39.gif

0-8 years old: AM and FM radio of the early 70's and music played in supermarkets, parks, wherever music is played in public. Also TV variety specials like the Osmond Shows and the Sonny & Cher Shows, etc...

8-12: mid to late 70's hard rock, prog rock, folk rock, radio hits, etc....

12-15: early 80's heavy metal, NWOBHM, MTV generic pop

15-mid 20's: 80's and early 90's thrash, death metal, technical thrash/prog metal, etc....

last 20 years: everything I used to hate, everything I grew up on and also 60's music, music that people turned me onto from sites like this one and a bunch of other forums, and the last year and a half of collecting vinyl I've broadened my musical horizons by 100x over.

1967-1979

Lawrence Welk, The Partridge Family, Star Wars, The Bee Gees, The Village People blush4.gif

1979-1982

AC/DC, Ozzy, Reo Speedwagon, The Doors, 2.gif

1982-1985

2.gif

1985-1989

2.gif , Marillion, Pink Floyd

1989-1991

2.gif

1991-1995

2.gif ,Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins

1995-1997

Smashing Pumpkins

1997-2005

Howard Stern

2005-Present

Howard Stern and the humungous variety of music on Sirius/XM.

Edited by Invisible To Telescopic Eye

83-92: CCR, Michael Jackson, Weird Al, 80s pop, some metal.

92-95: I got into thrash and gangsta rap.

95-99: Started to branch out into all types of music, from Bjork to Rush. I was actually more into synth Rush at this time.

99-03: Still into a lot of different shit, but really got into underground hip hop. And the Misfits.

03-05: Love for hip hop faded. Still love the Misfits. When I got old enough to legally drink is when this Rush and metal obsession really kicked off.

05-Present: Decided Rush is my favorite band of all time. Fell in love with a bunch of older music and metal. Learned to appreciate a lot of different things.....except modern country. f**k that shit.

Up until ~7th grade - Beatles, Neil Diamond, whatevermyparentsputintheCDplayer

Then, in 8th grade, put a couple of albums on my iPod: Led Zeppelin II, AC/DC Back in Black, Rush Moving Pictures, Metallica The Black Album, and Styx The Grand Illusion. All were albums my dad liked and I thought I'd try.

Only 2.gif stuck at first, gradually got more and more by them. Found an appreciation for Zeppelin as well. Mom eventually told me to listen to Floyd - Dark Side and WYWH. Took a bit, but finally got into them enough.

Here's a couple of bands I know exactly when I got really big into them-

Styx - Summer on 2010 (with PoE)

Yes - Christmas of 2010 (got Fragile and CTTE)

King Crimson - Summer of 2011 (got In the Court on vacation)

Camel - spring of 2011 (hear Echoes on Goober's show), and then got really into them a couple of weeks ago

Caravan - Fall/Winter 2011

As for right now - getting into some Canterbury scene (Camel and Caravan), early Floyd, and lots of 70s King Crimson.

smile.gif 1022.gif

Childhood - Depends. Mostly whatever happened to be on the radio or whatever my dad put in the CD player. Only consistent bands I remember would be The Beatles, Rush, and Journey.

Teen Years - Around 13 I got more serious about music. Started getting into progressive rock and metal. Genesis, Tool, King Crimson, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Yes, things like that. I also got into more alternative music like Gorillaz and Coldplay when I turned 15. Michael Jackson was my main "pop" source.

High School Years, Part One - Freshman and Sophomore years were pretty much the above. I got back into Pink Floyd after almost 5 years without hearing them. Rediscovering a lot of bands. Still into Rush.

High School Years, Part Two - Now getting into the more "underground" scene and digging deeper into genres I already know. Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Tyler the Creator, Radiohead, Kayo Dot, Swans. Also getting into jazz classics like Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Getting into more 80s pop like Madonna.

First song I remember hearing = Sugar Sugar by the Archies...

My mum used to have a radio that seemed to play this song all the time.

My dad had a record collection that was a mixture of classical, Jazz & Blues.

First album owned = Junior Hit Parade (bought by my parents when I was about 3 or 4)

First single I bought = Blockbuster by The Sweet

First album I bought = Night Flight To Venus by Boney M blush4.gif

First album to change my life around = Led Zeppelin II (owned by my older brother)

This must have been some time in the late 70s and I began getting into rock music and was amazed by what a diverse genre it was.

First big gig = Theakston's Festival in 1982 headlined by Jethro Tull (it was also the first time I saw Marillion Live)

... I don't think that my tastes have changed much since then to be honest. I still detest most of the drivel that's in the charts and I still don't care if what I listen to is percieved as uncool by others.

I enjoy going on sonic adventures & trying new music (some I love, some I don't)... If you don't try something, you don't know what you are missing out on.

The advent of the internet has been fantastic in this respect... finding new music is so much easier these days but I am nostalgic about the days of rumaging through record shops browing through L.P. sleeves and wondering what magic is contained within.

Edited by Imaginos

Childhood: whatever pop music was the number one hit at the time

Pre-Teen: Over the top anime music, some death metal (ie Slayer)

Teen: Lighter, classic rock/pop rock (Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, Journey)

16-now: Rock and Roll/some metal (Rush, Zep, AC/DC, Sabbath, Dio, Metallica, Def Leppard, Wolfmother, Disturbed, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, etc)

childhood - Carpenters, Donna Summer, ABBA, various disco tunes.

pre-teen - Journey, Jefferson Starship, Pat Benatar.

early teen - Rush, Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Missing Persons, the Fixx. (of course Rush from this point onward)

mid teen - Venom, Metallica

late teens - Yes, Pink Floyd, classic rock of all kinds

early 20s - alternative and shoe gaze - Kitchens of Distinction, My Bloody Valentine, Lush, Chapterhouse, Enya.

mid and late 20s - new age. Clannad.

early 30s and onward - various kinds of music but an increase in interest of jazz and jazz rock. Progressive music that doesn't necessarily fit within the label of progressive rock such as Kate Bush.

3-5 - Steeleye Span, Mud & Showaddywaddy

6-10 - Status Quo, The Police, Abba

11-12 - Adam & The Ants, DuranDuran, Spandau Ballet, UB40

13-15 - Queen, Queen, Queen

16-17 - Zep, Floyd, Sab, Rory, Ry, Purple, Lizzy, Beatles, Stones

18-20 - Yes, Rush, Crimson, Curve, Television, Pixies, Steve Earle, REM, House of Love

21-22 - all things grunge

And then I started making money, so I started listening to everything and anything. Nothing's changed.

Childhood: Whatever my parents were listening to.

Pre-Teen: Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Meatloaf, Billy Joel, all classic rock bands my parents liked.

High School (Freshman year): Rush, Yes, ELP, Styx, Skynyrd, Beatles, Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Queen, Foreigner

High School (Sophomore Year - now): Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Anathema, Van Der Graaf Generator, Opeth, various prog bands. Also starting to listen to post rock and jazz fusion.

Most notable bands listed:

2000s - The Beach Boys and Led Zeppelin

2005 - Coheed and Cambria

2006 - System of a Down

2007 - Sonata Arctica

2008 - Rush, lawl.

2009 - Yes

2010 - ELO / ELP

2011 - King's X

My evaluation today:

Gods:

Devil Doll, Yes, Coheed and Cambria, Jerry Gaskill, Jon Anderson.

Good Bands:

Rush, King's X, ELP, Sonata Arctica, Ty Tabor, Bob Dylan, Steven Wilson, King Crimson, Gentle Gaint, Porcupine Tree.

Okay bands:

ELO, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, The Cure, Stratovarius.

Shit I can't believe I listened to:

System of a Down.

Childhood

My mom was a huge influence. The Beatles, Michael Jackson, lots of motown, Madonna, and countless other 60's/70's/80's rock and pop bands.

Pre-Teen

Green Day, Bush, and Stone Temple Pilots were my first foray into my own music. This was about 1994 and all these bands had breakthrough albums during that year that I adored.

Teen

METAL. Metallica was my band. I knew every single thing there was to know about them. I branched out into death metal, black metal, and every other kind of metal, and eventually progressive metal.

Late-Teen

Lots of progressive metal and rock. I listened to nothing but prog rock and obscure prog bands from around the world. Eventually I got tired of it and moved onto poppier bands like Coheed & Cambria, U2, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, etc.

Now

Skipping ahead, now I listen to virtually everything, with my main focus on bands that combine many many genres into a unified sound.

My top 5 current favorite bands are:

The Smashing Pumpkins

Coheed & Cambria

The Dear Hunter

Between The Buried & Me

Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Dec 25 2011, 11:58 PM)
My evaluation today:

Gods:
Devil Doll, Coheed and Cambria

Nice! On liking C&C!

What can you recommend by Devil Doll? I have Sacrilege, and enjoy it immensely and I wouldn't mind some other stuff.

Kiss (childhood - that phase lasted for awhile - age 7-11 or so)

Pop/Disco/Top 40 (BRIEFLY pre-puberty 11-12 before I found what really did it for me)

Hard Rock / Heavy Metal / NWOBHM - (age 12-16 or so) - Ozzy/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Van Halen/Deep Purple, Rush, etc.

Electronic (age 14/15 or so on) - Tangerine Dream/Vangelis/Jean-Michel Jarre, etc.

Psychedelic/Classic Rock (from age 15/16 on) - Grateful Dead/Jefferson Airplane/Pink Floyd/Moody Blues/Traffic/Beatles/Rolling Stones/Simon & Garfunkel/Jimi Hendrix/Jethro Tull/13th Floor Elevators, tons of more obscure groups, etc.

Progressive Rock (from age 19/20 on) - Yes/Genesis/Pink Floyd/King Crimson/PFM/Banco/Le Orme/Ange/Camel/Caravan, tons of more obscure groups, etc.

Krautrock (from age 19/20 on) - Popol Vuh/Can/Amon Duul II/Faust/Ash Ra Tempel/Tangerine Dream, etc.

Free Jazz/Avant-Garde Jazz (from age 21/22 on) - Sun Ra/John Coltrane/Ornette Coleman/Miles Davis/Pharaoh Sanders/Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc.

Shoegaze (from age 22/23 on) - Cocteau Twins/Lush/Slowdive/Mojave 3/Love Spirals Downwards, etc.

Ambient/Electronic (from age 24/25 on) - Pete Namlook/Tetsu Inoue/anything on the German FAX label/Robert Rich/Steve Roach/Vidna Obmana/Paul Schutze/Klaus Schulze/Terre Thaemlitz/Future Sound of London/Aphex Twin, Woob, etc.

Trip Hop/Alternative (from age 26 or so on) - Portishead/Air/Sneaker Pimps/Cardigans

And that's pretty much it - here I am at 42 and I listen to pretty much all of those genres - the only ones I've really abandoned are some of the top 40/disco I listened to on the radio as a kid and a lot of the heavy metal I used to listen to.

Childhood early 60s: Music was not really played in the house, music was for church. Parents did not listen to music at home or in the car. There were no devices to play music with the exception of a portable record player. On this I would listen to a Peter Pan record, Snoopy and the Red Baron and my older sister's Beatles 45's. Maternal grandmother had a really nice stack of 40s Big Band 78 rpm records and a beautiful player, I really loved that. Television was the main medium for music... Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan ( Beatles, The Who, Stones... etc!).

Preteen late 60s: Favorite TV themes Green Hornet, The Munsters , Johnny Quest, Mission Impossible.

Started listening to the local radio top 40.. but this was the late 60s smile.gif

Early teens early 70s: Older brother had a stereo! He was out so I decided to check it out. I put on this record called "Masters of Reality" Whoa! Exposed to this at 12 years old. Later that year first album bought with Xmas money... "Machine Head". I wanna be a highway star! This was the time I really started to listen to albums/buy music. Stevie Wonder "Innervisons", Jethro Tull "Aqualung"were my first eight track tapes.

Moving on to Pink Floyd, Elton John, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Queen, LZ, Yes, Stones on and on.... until 1975

I bought an album called "Caress of Steel" because I really liked the cover... , "Fly by Night" and "Rush" were bought the next day. 1976 the first real doubt about AOR. A band called Boston released an album. To my ears this was the most artificial sound I had ever heard. I mention this because at this point I think I started to listen to music more critically.

Late Teens: Continued with the "Album Rock"... but things were changing. Metal was pretty much dying for me. 1978. Now it was the Talking Heads, Patti Smith, Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Clash, Blondie, Zappa, Springsteen but I am still into a band called Rush. Another influence was creeping in via the local artists I would see frequently Joe Ely, Butch Hancock. I went to get some BBQ at a place called Stubbs and heard this guy named Stevie Ray Vaughan jammin. Damn he was good I thought.

1980s: I went to my first of many Bluegrass Festivals. Eno was becoming the center of gravity for me I realized...Talking Heads, Fripp, King Crimson, Devo. I am also still listening to VU, Patti Smith, Kraftwerk other electronica/ambient. Still listening to a band called Rush.

1990s: Listening to a lot of different things... jazz, classical, western swing, hip-hop, albums of my youth, not interested in grunge at all. Jimmie Dale Gilmore, King Crimson would be the artists I would consistently buy all recordings. Liked Tool, Sonic Youth, Bjork Then came an album called "OK Computer" Still listening to a band called Rush.

00s: Wilco, Radiohead, Black Keys, all the stuff previously mentioned and music I did not listen to and did not appreciate in the previous decades. Still listening to a band called Rush.

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Dec 26 2011, 04:07 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Dec 25 2011, 11:58 PM)
My evaluation today:

Gods:
Devil Doll, Coheed and Cambria

Nice! On liking C&C!

What can you recommend by Devil Doll? I have Sacrilege, and enjoy it immensely and I wouldn't mind some other stuff.

Dies Irae is a masterpiece, not a boring part.

How did you hear of them? Progarchives?

Childhood: Bay City Rollers, Jackson 5

Pre-teen: KISS

Teen: Rush, VH, all other 80's metal...Prog: Yes, Floyd

College: Springsteen, Dead....also the college bands: Smiths, Cure, New Order...then Grunge....

20's: Guided by Voices, Superchunk, Replacements

Now: Grateful Dead, Rush, Springsteen, Classic metal (ie Maiden, VH, Sabbath, etc). Also still into the lo-fi stuff in varying degrees...

Edited by greg2112

Seventies

Big Brother's music: Led Zep, Sabbath, Hendrix, CCR, CSN(Y), Grand Funk

Big Sister: Earth, Wind, and Fire, Chicago, Beatles

Mom: Jim Croce, Neil Diamond, 50s jams

Dad: Hank Sr.

early Eighties

My time: NWOBHM, Beatles, Sabbath, Priest, RUSH, Savatage, Metallica

late Eighties

Freestyle music and dance oriented music like Dead or Alive and Nu Shooz (hanging with girls at clubs didn;t work with Metal)

Nineties

Started enjoying different genres/mood music like mellow Neil Young and bands like The Sundays.

Also Bush, STP, AiC, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden

2ks

Disturbed, Porcupine Tree, Angels and Airwaves

Recent

Death Cab for Cutie, Silversun Pickups, Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold

Edited to add Skrillex

Edited by Ancient Ways