How do you feel about them?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about them?

• They are a must have always
    • Only in the studio please
    • They are OK once in a while
    • I can take them or leave them
    • I don't care for them
    • I want more Alex in the backup vocals!

Geddy choirs. Actually, live I really don't care for them buit I was never a fan of pumped in vocals. Besides, I thought I heard a radio interview years ago where Geddy said they only liked to do on the record what they can do on stage, when the interviewer asked about how they get such a full sound live without extra musicians.

But for the poll, in studio releases I like them on occasion.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 30 2011, 01:33 PM)
Don't like them

SAME.

They were fine on 'My Favourite Headache' as it was Ged's solo album. In fact, they were all over VT, and I am sure it was a direct effect from his MFH sessions.

IMO, no need for them on a Rush record. The 'choirs' just cover up the music, and with Rush...that is a no-no! dazed025.gif

Both "Vapor Trails" and "Snakes & Arrows" are pretty heavy on the Geddy-choirs, and I feel they don`t need to repeat it much on their forthcoming album. Judging from "Caravan" and "BU2B", they seem to have left the choir-thing behind. A descision I`m totally fine with!

Depends, I thought it worked really well in Malignant Narcissism and Workin them Angels, they sucked on VT (mostly because it added to that wall of sound), they were fine on RTB. Personally, I can do with a minimal amount on the next album just because Ged seems to really like them. Use them wisely or replace them with guitar/drum solos.

I think they sound good when used sparingly. One of my favourite examples is studio version of Mystic Rhythms - the layered vocals really add atmosphere to the track. I've never liked the live versions as much as the original and I think this is one of the reasons why. But I also agree with those who say maybe it's time to give the Ged choir a bit of a break.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Nov 30 2011, 02:10 PM)

They were fine on 'My Favourite Headache' as it was Ged's solo album. In fact, they were all over VT, and I am sure it was a direct effect from his MFH sessions.

I agree, you can really feel a lot of similarities between HYF and VT. Almost to the point where after hearing VT, MFH sounds more like a Rush album than it did before we had VT. (does that make sense?)

As for the choir of Geds, as much as I love him, I think one is enough.

I probably wouldn't mind them if they were limited to a few songs, but hearing them on pretty much every Vapor Trails track and about half of My Favorite Headache has destroyed any chance that I might have had of appreciating them. Blech. Edited by StellarJetman

They're okay now and then. But I would like to hear more Alex in the background wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 1 2011, 04:51 AM)
They're okay now and then. But I would like to hear more Alex in the background wink.gif

Actually, I think that would be awesome as well. Amazing, but somewhat cheesy, things can be done with auto-tune if he isn't too far off key.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 1 2011, 06:46 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Dec 1 2011, 04:51 AM)

Actually, I think that would be awesome as well. Amazing, but somewhat cheesy, things can be done with auto-tune if he isn't too far off key.

Actually, on Neil's DVD, with the odd mix, I heard Alex quite loudly at the end of Marathon. Louder than Geddy. And he sounded good. I don't judge him too harshly in any case. I mean, look who he's singing with! You can't compare them. no.gif

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Nov 30 2011, 06:04 PM)
I think they sound good when used sparingly. One of my favourite examples is studio version of Mystic Rhythms - the layered vocals really add atmosphere to the track.

I agree, when used very sparingly I think it is kinda cool. But it's been used far too much in recent albums.

i've never liked the lead singer on backup vocals. its too bad alex can't sing better.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 3 2011, 07:58 PM)
All the choices seem to be ranging from good to neutral... Hmm...

Probably because the options are flawed... there's only one option for negative, while there are five for good/neutral/other. I wonder how it would look if it were just yes or no.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Dec 3 2011, 09:26 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 3 2011, 07:58 PM)
All the choices seem to be ranging from good to neutral... Hmm...

Probably because the options are flawed... there's only one option for negative, while there are five for good/neutral/other. I wonder how it would look if it were just yes or no.

I would personally say "I don't care for them" is more neutral than bad. But whatever, it doesn't matter.