last movie you watched

sonicjams

Alien_Covenant_Teaser_Poster.jpg

I liked this one.

There's a certain elegant visual aesthetic to the Prometheus movies, that the earlier Alien movies lacked. A more complete use of Giger's world, not just the alien itself, but all the world around it.

I fully agree!!! I really liked this one, it's much better than Prometheus.

Covenant still hasn't arrived here. I'll probably watch it (no thanks to Prometheus). I liked the first hour or so of Prometheus but it got worse and worse the closer it got to the end. Especially the last half hour was a big let down.

I thought this movie was extremely boring. It's also one of those movies where you yell at the screen because the characters are so stupid. Also the baby alien was hilarious.

I liked this one.

There's a certain elegant visual aesthetic to the Prometheus movies, that the earlier Alien movies lacked. A more complete use of Giger's world, not just the alien itself, but all the world around it.

Covenant still hasn't arrived here. I'll probably watch it (no thanks to Prometheus). I liked the first hour or so of Prometheus but it got worse and worse the closer it got to the end. Especially the last half hour was a big let down.

I thought this movie was extremely boring. It's also one of those movies where you yell at the screen because the characters are so stupid. Also the baby alien was hilarious.

Yeah?

So far the Alien series has gotten worse and worse. I'd grade them like this...

Alien: A+

Aliens: A

Alien 3: C

Alien Resurrection: D

Prometheus: F !!!

Covenant: (tbd)

I liked this one.

Yeah?

Just watched Aliens again a few days ago. Let's just say it hasn't aged well. And everything after that is crap.

I liked Prometheus. Sorry. And like I said...Prometheus and Alien Covenant, visually, were stunning.

I liked this one.

Yeah?

Just watched Aliens again a few days ago. Let's just say it hasn't aged well. And everything after that is crap.

I liked Prometheus. Sorry. And like I said...Prometheus and Alien Covenant, visually, were stunning.

I last saw Aliens about 10 years ago and the part that I thought was too cheesy was Ripley pulling "a Rambo" and blasting all the eggs. Grunting/roaring while doing so. Roaaaarrrrr.....

But I've seen it a million times and still get a kick out of it. "Game over man. Game over."

I liked this one.

Yeah?

I pretty much agree with this except I would give Aliens an A+.

• Like 2

I liked this one.

Yeah?

What would you give Covenant?

http://www.crescenttheater.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Quad_AW_32462-Wind-River-e1501442990166.jpg

A good movie, I liked it. It was quite dark, however. (I knew that going into it.)

One thing that bothered me was the text at the beginning of the movie that said, "Based on actual events."

After the movie, I tried to find the specific case it was based on and instead I found this interview with writer/director Taylor Sheridan on NPR:

TAYLOR SHERIDAN: Thanks for having me.

SIMON: And I gather this film is based on an actual story.

SHERIDAN: It's based on thousands of actual stories just like it.

SIMON: How so?

SHERIDAN: This issue with sexual assault against women on the reservation - I mean, it's existed since the inception of a reservation system. But, really, in the past 15, 20 years, it's exploded. And it gets no attention, which is the motivation for writing the film.

SIMON: Women who are - to understand it, I guess we have to say bluntly - sexually assaulted, raped and then disappear - sometimes found, sometimes not.

SHERIDAN: Yes, that's correct.

So it's not based on "actual events" any more than most movies are based on actual events. Still, a decent movie though and it does give you something to think about.

Maybe there's a difference between "based on actual events" and "based on a true story". I can imagine them being the same or different depending on how I'd like to think.cou

Yeah, but in my mind, it should have been based on a specific incident. It would seem that almost every movie could be based on "thousands of stories just like it". It's too vague IMO. Fast and the Furious could be based on thousands of street races for example. I know why Sheridan did it, I just think he could have had a text epilogue at the end of the movie talking about the events that inspired the making of the movie that would have been more honest.

I liked this one.

Yeah?

What would you give Covenant?

D-

http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/movie/movie_poster/white-hunter-black-heart-1990/large_5Z3ASotQIsGwO25AMf40O9XgUWc.jpg

I can appreciate what he was trying to do but I didn't enjoy it all too much except for a couple of scenes.

Grade: D+

It's never pulled me in...one day but in no hurry.

slmOR9Tm.jpg

Hell or High Water. It was really, really good; better than I expected. Modern west film noir bank robbery movie. It would have been even better in a real theater since it was beautifully filmed in New Mexico; so many scenes had expansive scenery and lighting that are hard to appreciate on a home TV. Jeff Bridges was nominated for an Oscar but I thought Chris Pine did the best job acting; one of the best roles I've seen him in. Interesting ending as well.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1