Paul Stanley Hated Caress Of Steel

HereAgain

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rofl3.gif

Well, Paul's musical sensibilities are pretty simple, bless him. Not sure about the connection to The Elder, never thought about it before....

I don't blame him. The only songs I got initially were Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. It took me many, many years to grow to love Fountain. The remaining two songs I still don't like. It's definitely their weakest album from 1974-1987, but it's still 3/5ths of a great album.

I am still trying to get into Kiss's music after 40 years... The only thing that i can remembered of this band is the drum solo in Kiss Alive album.

QUOTE (RUDT @ Oct 14 2011, 03:45 AM)
I am still trying to get into Kiss's music after 40 years... The only thing that i can remembered of this band is the drum solo in Kiss Alive album.

Try Double Platinum, their 1978 compilation (originally a double album) - I still listen to it regularly to this day. Kiss were never great lyrically, but they never really tried to be - they were just good old fashioned fun rock and roll with catchy songs and kick-ass guitar.

Kiss saw them as like a Zep Jr. and Caress of Steel was a pretty weird leap from Fly By Night. I imagine Paul even liked the first three songs (ITIGB sounds like it could be a Kiss song), but got confused when The Necromancer came on.

Both bands rule in their own way. I actually even like Music from The Elder. laugh.gif

QUOTE (HereAgain @ Oct 13 2011, 11:30 PM)
I think it's hilarious how Rush showed Paul Stanley the early tapes of Caress and he just couldn't get into it. Is this why Kiss attempted The Elder?

Honestly not too many really liked that album when it came out. They sid in the doc that they werent even sure if they 'got it', meaning they were lost and didnt know what the hell they were trying to do. It was a commercial failure, Rush was playing very small places, sometimes only maybe 30 people showing up. They called it the down the tubes tour.

I remember reading an interview a while back about during the writing of that album they went to see Yes, and became very disheartened at how much better than Rush they were. That might have effected the quality of the album, with their morale being at rock bottom.

Geddy has even said I think right before the VT tour that its painful for him to listen to that album, that is hasnt aged well at all, which I totally agree with. It sounds really goofy to me now.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2011, 05:46 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Oct 14 2011, 03:45 AM)

Try Double Platinum, their 1978 compilation (originally a double album) - I still listen to it regularly to this day. Kiss were never great lyrically, but they never really tried to be - they were just good old fashioned fun rock and roll with catchy songs and kick-ass guitar.

goodpost.gif

Been a fan of Kiss since I was a kid. Their last album Sonic Boom was decent (MUCH better than Psycho Circus) but not in the same league as their 70s output.

QUOTE (HereAgain @ Oct 13 2011, 11:30 PM)
I think it's hilarious how Rush showed Paul Stanley the early tapes of Caress and he just couldn't get into it.

They don't say "he couldn't get into it." They say "he didn't get it" (i.e., understand it). There's a difference.

Perhaps he really hated it, perhaps not. The documentary doesn't say either way. All we know is that he didn't understand it.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I happened to catch an hour of BTLS on moviepix the other night. Geddy said that they were pretty high when they wrote COS, so there's a large part of the explaination there.

Not that they don't use drugs/alcohol through their lives, but maybe because of the commercial failure of COS, it was a lesson to the boys that too much indulging while in the creative process is bad for business (just like killing Pratt is, lol).

QUOTE (RUDT @ Oct 14 2011, 04:45 AM)

I gave up trying to like them years ago. From the time I was in my early teens well into my early thirties, I tried getting into the stuff they've done and I just can't. They have a few songs I consider flukes (because they're actually good) but overall, they just don't do anything for me.

And honestly, the makeup? That was over 30 years ago, guys.

QUOTE (Atomic @ Oct 14 2011, 10:30 AM)
I happened to catch an hour of BTLS on moviepix the other night. Geddy said that they were pretty high when they wrote COS, so there's a large part of the explaination there.

Not that they don't use drugs/alcohol through their lives, but maybe because of the commercial failure of COS, it was a lesson to the boys that too much indulging while in the creative process is bad for business (just like killing Pratt is, lol).

Yes, I'm absolutely positive there was no weed smoked during the creative process of 2112 or any albums after that! wacko.gif

That's ok, Paul hates The Elder laugh.gif I love it

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 14 2011, 04:49 PM)
That's ok, Paul hates The Elder laugh.gif I love it

Don't care for The Elder , but at least they tried something different other than Disco.

Caress is not one of my favorites but I don't hate it.

That's cool. I've never gotten into Kiss even though I am in their wheelhouse: male, like to party born in '66. When I was 10-12 years old I was literally the only kid that I knew that didn't like them. I just thought they sucked and preferred Zep and Sabbath.

I don't blame them for not getting into it. CoS is far from what was/is considered to be "good" sounding rock by the masses. The only songs I can get into are Lakeside Park and Bastille Day, and only when they're on a good sound system.

Yes COS is not a great cd, but it contains elements and energy that would be the start for the band to develop their own style by creating more mature and cohesive songs, like 2112. Fountain of Lamneth was a their first attempt to make a epic song, while it contains some nice parts, it was lacking in structure and cohesion. Necromancer contains a nice atmosphere, but a bit repetitive. As for the rest of the cd, the short songs was the continuation of Fly By Night.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 14 2011, 06:42 AM)
Kiss saw them as like a Zep Jr. and Caress of Steel was a pretty weird leap from Fly By Night. I imagine Paul even liked the first three songs (ITIGB sounds like it could be a Kiss song), but got confused when The Necromancer came on.

Both bands rule in their own way. I actually even like Music from The Elder. laugh.gif

I think I'm going bald is a joke on Kiss' I'm going blind wink.gif

PS Kiss is my favourite band with Rush and Queen...