Worst concert you ever saw??

reani14

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 6 2011, 07:17 AM)
I don't know if this counts, but around 1991, in London, my then boyfriend took me to see, um, Bucks Fizz. Twice. That's all I'm saying...

ph34r.gif

Twice?

TWICE???

I know Pete Sinfield wrotethe lyrics to Land of Make Believe, but even so....

TWICE?????????????

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 5 2011, 09:17 PM)
Backstreet Boys 1999 tour

And you wonder Why this is one of the Worst ? wink.gif

RATT was easily the worst show I've seen. It was the Dancing Undercover Tour in '87. Poison was opening for them in support of their first album and they were even better than RATT. The sound was horrible, Steven Pearcy sounded bad, the backing vocals were downright strange--Juan Crocier was shrieking and Robin Crosby was singing 4 registers lower. I saw Iron Maiden two months earlier in the same venue (Hollywood Sportatorium, FL) and the acoustics weren't the problem--Maiden killed.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Oct 6 2011, 11:42 AM)
RATT was easily the worst show I've seen. It was the Dancing Undercover Tour in '87. Poison was opening for them in support of their first album and they were even better than RATT. The sound was horrible, Steven Pearcy sounded bad, the backing vocals were downright strange--Juan Crocier was shrieking and Robin Crosby was singing 4 registers lower. I saw Iron Maiden two months earlier in the same venue (Hollywood Sportatorium, FL) and the acoustics weren't the problem--Maiden killed.

trink39.gif

Interesting that Poison was your opening act though. We got Cheap Trick here in SC. I guess Poison joined them later in the tour? confused13.gif

I've really only been to a handful of concerts.. and I can't say I've ever really left a concert being disappointed. Maybe an opening band here or there, but really I can't say I can think of a worst show.

Hmmm...Not the WHOLE concert, but probably BOTH times I went to one of the H.O.R.D.E. shows it was Blues Traveler! (who ended the show) Both times I ended up walking out after two songs that all sounded the same with that God-awful harmonica sound! Talk about something that just goes RIGHT THROUGH YOU!!

All of the bands that preceded them were all great! (even the up and coming bands on the back stage) But BT was just bad!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 6 2011, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Oct 6 2011, 11:42 AM)
RATT was easily the worst show I've seen. It was the Dancing Undercover Tour in '87. Poison was opening for them in support of their first album and they were even better than RATT.  The sound was horrible, Steven Pearcy sounded bad, the backing vocals were downright strange--Juan Crocier was shrieking and Robin Crosby was singing 4 registers lower. I saw Iron Maiden two months earlier in the same venue (Hollywood Sportatorium, FL) and the acoustics weren't the problem--Maiden killed.

trink39.gif

Interesting that Poison was your opening act though. We got Cheap Trick here in SC. I guess Poison joined them later in the tour? confused13.gif

I was just going to post Ratt as well. Saw them on Out of the Cellar and the were OK. They were bad - just bad on Invasion.

I've been to a LOT of concerts since 1973 and most have ranged from OK to good to excellent to killer. However, there of course have been some bad ones.

Kiss on the Animalize tour. I know a lot of folks here love these guys and I had seen them in '76 and they were totally excellent. But by '83 they were without makeup, without Peter and Ace and without any "oomph". They spent literally half their time on stage talking/bullshitting and when they did play it was uninspired. It didn't help that Queensryche opened and since this was Seattle and they were local boys, needless to say they kicked MAJOR ass.

Motorhead opening for Ozzy on the Blizzard of Ozz tour. A complete wall of noise with no discernable melody or even seperate notes. Terrible. The other 3 people with me that night agreed completely. One of those folks was my cousin and to this day he brings up how bad "that band that opened for Ozzy in '81 was".

Guns n' Roses in Costa Mesa in like '91. Really a very fine performance once they finally took the stage (played a great version of November Rain months before it ever was heard elsewhere.....told the ex "that's gonna be a huge song"). Problem was we waited 3 hours from the time the opener, Skid Row finished and Gn'R hit the stage. Fukking boring.

Toby Keith a year and a half ago. The girlfriend likes country and I had taken her to Keith Urban about a year earlier and he was quite good so thought this might be too. Wrong. Other than the story about smokin' with Willie Nelson and waking up 8 hours later having missed a bunch of stuff he was supposed to be up for (because Willie's weed would basically kill a horse), the show was just boring as hell. Trace Adkins opened and was much more entertaining to me.

I've seen a number of metal bands on Ozzfests throughout the years I didn't like e.g. Crazytown, Methods of Mayham, etc. but it wasn't like they weren't good at what they did, I just didn't like what they did.

I've been fortunate in that to my recollection I've never seen anyone that was really trashed, not even Gordon Lightfoot (my first wife loved him and I went with her cuz she was so into him....not really my cup of tea) who was notorious for being shit faced drunk at concerts. Of course I only saw David Lee Roth once, with VH right after II came out so.....

If I think of any others, I'll post some more......

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Oct 6 2011, 04:13 PM)

Guns n' Roses in Costa Mesa in like '91. Really a very fine performance once they finally took the stage (played a great version of November Rain months before it ever was heard elsewhere.....told the ex "that's gonna be a huge song"). Problem was we waited 3 hours from the time the opener, Skid Row finished and Gn'R hit the stage. Fukking boring.

Funny, I posted pretty much the same thing. They always did that. Axl was such a prick

metallica 91? at maple leaf gardens toronto. I think it was the black album tour, instead of playing music, they were trying out eachothers instruments and making some sort of comedy show out of the whole ordeal.

With a twenty five minute sing-along of seek and destroy to top things off, made a dreadful concert even worse.

There was one time the Psychedelic Furs played with the Fixx and the Alarm, and the sound was bad - I don't think the band was, and the sound did improve, but it didn't do much for the beginning of the show.

Going to echo a lot of people here on Eddie Money. The beginning and ending of the show with the helicopter flyover is cool, and he's a crowd pleaser to his "ladies from the 80's" (a phrase I've actually used a lot since then), but his singing just isn't what it was. At the show I went to, his daugter not only sung backup, she actually performed lead for about 1/3 of the show (and I wasn't into her).

Agree that Rick Springfield was good - he was plucking kids out of the audience by their arms ohmy.gif and lining them up onstage and having them sing the chorus of "Don't Talk To Strangers", then dangling them back into the crowd after it was over!

Tommy Tutone - he's a REALLY nice guy, talked with me before the show and told me he liked my Fixx shirt, but he just didn't hold up onstage. I think he was under the influence, and it didn't have a good effect. I felt bad for him. That same night, Missing Persons was supposed to perform, and Dale Bozzio got sick, so the band played without her. A woman who owns a karaoke bar here in town stood in on a few songs, and I have to say she did really well.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Oct 6 2011, 08:04 PM)
There was one time the Psychedelic Furs played with the Fixx and the Alarm, and the sound was bad - I don't think the band was, and the sound did improve, but it didn't do much for the beginning of the show.

I've seen all those bands multiple times.

They all rock, all the time.

wink.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 6 2011, 10:57 PM)

Funny, I posted pretty much the same thing. They always did that. Axl was such a prick

Yeah, saw them in '92. Faith No More were fantastic. LOOOOONG wait for GNR to come on, and then it was a stop-start mess from beginning to end, and the endless clothing changes. Not exactly a man's man is he......

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Oct 6 2011, 05:13 PM)

Kiss on the Animalize tour. I know a lot of folks here love these guys and I had seen them in '76 and they were totally excellent. But by '83 they were without makeup, without Peter and Ace and without any "oomph". They spent literally half their time on stage talking/bullshitting and when they did play it was uninspired.

I saw them on that tour too and it sucked...exactly as described.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 7 2011, 05:18 AM)
QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Oct 6 2011, 05:13 PM)

Kiss on the Animalize tour. I know a lot of folks here love these guys and I had seen them in '76 and they were totally excellent. But by '83 they were without makeup, without Peter and Ace and without any "oomph". They spent literally half their time on stage talking/bullshitting and when they did play it was uninspired.

I saw them on that tour too and it sucked...exactly as described.

I saw that tour and ours was quite good , it was a couple days before they shot the dvd.

REO Speedwagon was the only disappointment for me back in '82 , just lifeless and dull and they played less than 90 minutes.

Also saw REO on New Year's Eve 1980 and it was great , Kevin Cronin sang his ass off...not that awful nasal thing he does now. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 7 2011, 01:50 AM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 6 2011, 10:57 PM)

Yeah, saw them in '92. Faith No More were fantastic. LOOOOONG wait for GNR to come on, and then it was a stop-start mess from beginning to end, and the endless clothing changes. Not exactly a man's man is he......

I should throw this one in, but not for the usual reasons....

I saw Guns N Roses, Sacramento 1993.

Some moron threw a bottle at the stage, hit Duff in the head, and knocked him out.

Axl said something like, "If you find the a**hole, kill him". then he threw his mic down, and walked off. The show was over.

This was shortly after a fan riot at another venue, and my friend and I turned to each other and said "Let's get the hell out here."

Too bad, they were on fire that night (and fairly prompt, for them).

Beck...He came out with a full 10 or so piece band and laid out one of the best openings I ever saw. Two songs in he grabs an acoustic guitar and proceeds to play songs on the acoustic that no one knew. He was dressed like the captain from Captain and Tennile...I walked out after 6 songs.

I guess when I saw STP in New Jersey in 2008. I happened to get a show where Scott Weiland was off his proverbial rocker and was an hour late as a result. It started to pick up once they got going, but there was still something off about it.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:18 AM)
I asked my father what was the worst show he's been to. He's seen dozens of shows and replied without any thought, Bob Dylan.

Yeah, when you get Bob on one of his off-nights he can be a bewildering bore.

I love the guy, and I've seen him light up a stage like a Catherine Wheel, but some nights(in particular one evening in Galway...fuuuuck, it was awful) it really is like listening to paint dry.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 8 2011, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:18 AM)
I asked my father what was the worst show he's been to. He's seen dozens of shows and replied without any thought, Bob Dylan.

Yeah, when you get Bob on one of his off-nights he can be a bewildering bore.

I love the guy, and I've seen him light up a stage like a Catherine Wheel, but some nights(in particular one evening in Galway...fuuuuck, it was awful) it really is like listening to paint dry.

I've seen Bob twice and he was excellent both times, especially '88 at the Gorge. But then the Gorge brings out the beat in most performers (like the last show of the 2011 Time Machine tour 1022.gif )