Good remakes?

circumstantial tree

Now, I still don't like the idea of remaking something. But a few nights ago, I watched the "My Bloody Valentine" remake on SyFy that came out a couple of years ago and decided FOR A REMAKE that it wasn't half bad. For once, a slasher flick was made that didn't have a "lusty teenagers get impaled, stabbed, etc..." plot that is so overplayed. And the plot overall was played pretty well I think.

Now, the original film, which came out in 1981 I still feel was better. Ironically, that plot did involve the lusty teen gets killed plot. And it was filmed in actual mines to give it a more frightening atmosphere. It was actually going to be rated X due to the gore and violence, most of which had to be taken out to make it an R rating, but still gory.

Some of the character names remained in the remake. The town's name was different. This time it was Harmony, PA, which was supposed to be a mining town. The original film, it was Valentine Bluffs.

The band "My Bloody Valentine" got their name from the original film, just so you know.

Any remakes you like?

edited to add: they repeated one particular death scene from the original that involved a spinning clothes dryer.

Edited by circumstantial tree

Assault On Precinct 13 - still think the original John Carpenter one's good. (Query: John Carpenter actually appeared in his own movie as one of the gang climbing through the windows - any idea which one he is?)

John Carpenter's The Thing.

Agree on MBV. Saw it opening day in 3D and it's one of the few movies where 3D actually makes sense and because of it, it's a rare cause that I'm for CGI gore in current horror movies. I prefer the good ol days of makeup gods like Baker and Savini. Plus, Tom "Miller Time!" Atkins is in it. Love Night of the Creeps.

Manchurian Candidate

Let Me In

Cape Fear

The Departed

The Crazies

Dawn of the Dead

3:10 to Yuma

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Italian Job

The Fly

Ocean's 11

Edited by invisible airwave

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 4 2011, 04:09 PM)
http://www.thefilminformant.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Footloose-2011-Poster-2.jpg

NOT!

is that Jennifer Aniston?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 5 2011, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Oct 5 2011, 08:09 AM)
http://www.thefilminformant.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Footloose-2011-Poster-2.jpg

NOT!

Jeez, wasn't the first one shitty enough?

Never saw the original.

Carpenter's The Thing

Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much

(good calls, EW77)

The Richard Lester versions of The Three Musketeers (and Four, made at the same time). That is THE quintessential 3M film(s), IMO.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Oct 5 2011, 02:55 PM)

The Thing- John Carpenter

I don't really think of that as a remake. It's a remake in the sense of Will Smith's I Am Legend is a remake of Heston's The Omega Man....i.e. not really.

Anyways, the movie was awesome. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 5 2011, 06:24 AM)

I don't really think of that as a remake. It's a remake in the sense of Will Smith's I Am Legend is a remake of Heston's The Omega Man....i.e. not really.

Sure it was;

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/burgeranacoke/MV5BMjA2ODczNDg5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM4MDAwMQ_V1_SY317_CR20214317_.jpg

My entry is The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Oct 5 2011, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 5 2011, 06:24 AM)

Sure it was;

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/burgeranacoke/MV5BMjA2ODczNDg5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM4MDAwMQ_V1_SY317_CR20214317_.jpg

I know about that movie but....

not that Wikipedia is the end all of knowledge, but this is what it had to say about Carpenter's The Thing:

Ostensibly a remake of the classic 1951 Howard Hawks-Christian Nyby film The Thing from Another World, Carpenter's film is in fact a more faithful adaptation of the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. which inspired the 1951 film, and not a remake in the conventional sense.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Oct 5 2011, 09:35 AM)
Does A Fistful of Dollars count?

Also, 13 Assassins. I don't even know what the original is like, but I doubt it's better than the new one.

Fist Full of Dollars counts in my book, as long as you include For a Few Dollars More

And as long as we are going to journey down that road let's include The Magnificent Seven.

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Oct 5 2011, 05:23 PM)

And as long as we are going to journey down that road let's include The Magnificent Seven.

Beat me to it! laugh.gif

How about Shakespeare? I liked Kenneth Branaghs' Hamlet. And Zeferelli's Romeo and Juliet was the best ever, IMO.