Dog Years vs. I Think I'm Going Bald

drbirdsong

Which song is the worse one?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the worse one?

• Dog Years
    • I Think I'm Going Bald
    • Other

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Sep 20 2011, 01:39 PM)
Dog Years is, without a doubt, worse. Bald is a great song!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/wee_hee.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started the poll based on all the slamming of both songs over time. I have even taken a poke at ITIGB on occasion, but I don't HATE either song. This will cause problems, but I find CoS to be about my least likeable album. There are some fine moments and good songs, but as a whole it just doesn't do it for me and right there in the thick of it is that goofy bald song.

"I think we were high when we recorded most of that record and it sounds like it." - Geddy Lee

I don't think either song is their worst song ever..

either lyrically or musically.

Dog Years,lyrically, speaks about the times

were living in..Peart's just being honest/truthful.

Anything wrong with that???? imo--nope.

As far as ITIGB is concerned, never have really liked it that much.

Edit-- Red Tide is by far their worst song, imo.

Edited by go2wrk@95974

They're about the same for me, and I don't hate either. I like the mixture of humor and wistfulness common to both. I crack up when Geddy says "I think I'm...I'm going bald." The delivery is just hilarious (and I'm not saying this to make fun of bald people, since I've lost a lot of my hair myself, and it's mighty unattractive on a 38-year-old woman)!

My least favorite Rush song is Freeze, but I still far from hate it.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 19 2011, 11:46 PM)
The overwhelming consensus seems to be that Dog Years is the worse song that Rush ever did. I always thought it was I Think I'm Going Bald. I actually like the first one and cringe a bit at the second. What do you think?

And, oh yeah, please feel free to chime in on your own worse choice.

I love those two songs!

I think Rivendell and Heresy are the only songs I ever skip when it comes up in the shuffle.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
They're about the same for me, and I don't hate either. I like the mixture of humor and wistfulness common to both. I crack up when Geddy says "I think I'm...I'm going bald." The delivery is just hilarious...

Yeeeeah... well, for me, I'm not looking for hilarity in my Rush songs. Humor, wit, satire, sure. But jokes, no. I'm not looking to laugh.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Sep 20 2011, 06:47 PM)
They're about the same for me, and I don't hate either. I like the mixture of humor and wistfulness common to both. I crack up when Geddy says "I think I'm...I'm going bald." The delivery is just hilarious...

Yeeeeah... well, for me, I'm not looking for hilarity in my Rush songs. Humor, wit, satire, sure. But jokes, no. I'm not looking to laugh.

Yeah, I'm glad the boys have the awesome senses of humor they do, but in their songs? Doesn't work for me.

The only time it really works for me that springs to mind is in Red Lenses, but that's more clever word play than overt attempts at humor.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Sep 20 2011, 05:52 AM)
the fact it was written in all seriousness just makes it a piece of shit.

I refuse to believe that Neil didn't have his tongue planted firmly in cheek for this one. Taken that way, it's good fun.

The tortoise part is unforgivable, however.

Going Bald isn't all that bad. It's got the raw energy of youth and it's clearly a joke.

Dog Years has a couple of cool riffs but the lyrics, the whole idea, the name, and the fact it was written in all seriousness just makes it a piece of shit.

I keep seeing comments that the lyrics of these two songs are silly, goofy, jokes, etc. but I don't think so. It makes me question whether these folks have even thought about what these songs are really about. ITIGB isn't about merely losing one's hair any more than Dog Years is about dogs. There's thoughtful and intelligent ideas to be found in both of them.

Dog years was fun.....plain and simple. Its not a bad song at all...only the "I take myself too seriously and think every Rush song needs to be an epic written about Sir Gawain the Green Weenies with his legions of brown fecal mutants" Rush fan gets worked up over the lyrics ....I am sorry. Not only that I think it was commentary on how people view life...and how keeping your head up your arse is not the way to go through it.

Get over it man...it was a fun song. Good riff and groove too.

I can think of other songs by Rush that seem far clumsier than Dog Years.

Edited by druid13

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 21 2011, 09:56 AM)
Going Bald isn't all that bad. It's got the raw energy of youth and it's clearly a joke.

Dog Years has a couple of cool riffs but the lyrics, the whole idea, the name, and the fact it was written in all seriousness just makes it a piece of shit.

I keep seeing comments that the lyrics of these two songs are silly, goofy, jokes, etc. but I don't think so. It makes me question whether these folks have even thought about what these songs are really about. ITIGB isn't about merely losing one's hair any more than Dog Years is about dogs. There's thoughtful and intelligent ideas to be found in both of them.

Yeah, that must be it. I just haven't thought about it at all. I've been a fan for over 20 years, been talking about the band and the music online since my alt.music.rush days on Usenet back in '92-'93, but you're right - I just haven't thought about the stupid lyrics no.gif

I'm not speaking for anyone else, but for me, I know exactly what the songs are about. I know exactly what Peart was trying to say with the lyrics, the ideas and concepts that he was addressing. The execution of those ideas, the lyrics themselves, suck. They are jokey. They are failed attempts at humor, and they fall very flat.

As I said, I don't want hilarity in my Rush music. Wit, humor, satire - but not jokes. Not hilarity. I don't expect - or want - to laugh because you know... jokes get old. You can only hear a joke so many times (the precise number is 17, oddly) before you just stop laughing at it. And then you're left with a song that tries to make you laugh, fails, and you go... ehhhh... I think I'll go listen to something else. Because this is ridiculous.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 21 2011, 10:40 AM)
Dog years was fun.....plain and simple. Its not a bad song at all...only the "I take myself too seriously and think every Rush song needs to be an epic written about Sir Gawain the Green Weenies with his legions of brown fecal mutants" Rush fan gets worked up over the lyrics ....I am sorry. Not only that I think it was commentary on how people view life...and how keeping your head up your arse is not the way to go through it.

Come on down off that high horse sometime and join us mere mortals on the ground, because I don't think anyone here wants your sympathy. You can feel sorry all you want, but your opinion about us is only one step removed from our opinion about these lyrics.

But I do enjoy your hypocrisy when you say that we're all retards for thinking that these two songs aren't very good, but then you go on to say that you can think of other Rush songs that are "clumsier". Well done.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Sep 21 2011, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Sep 21 2011, 10:40 AM)

Come on down off that high horse sometime and join us mere mortals on the ground, because I don't think anyone here wants your sympathy. You can feel sorry all you want, but your opinion about us is only one step removed from our opinion about these lyrics.

But I do enjoy your hypocrisy when you say that we're all retards for thinking that these two songs aren't very good, but then you go on to say that you can think of other Rush songs that are "clumsier". Well done.

Look I have felt from day one after hearing the T4E premeire on the radio in 96..97? that Dog Years was going to be one of those tunes that certain Rush fans would throw hissy fits over. Right Away. All these years later and we still have people posting about it. And I do feel its for the same reasons basically...

Far more clumsy Rush tunes? OK here goes...

From the same album:

Limbo...sounds like a song they forgot lyrics to...the "Chorus" section ( bass and ride cymbal ding daga ding) very clunky and does not really work.

Tears from 2112.....could have been sung by Neil Diamond.

Songs that are terribly overrated

Time Stand Still, Mission, Bravado, Red Sector A...

Songs terribly underrated (should be given a 2nd shot)

Hand over Fist, Red Lenses, Digital Man ( thankfully brought back), Grand Designs, Middletown Dreams, Cut to the Chase

In many cases the songs being pushed out there for consumption were not the songs I think were the freshest stuff for that album...

Take counterparts..."Ring of Fir"..I mean "Cold Fire" was pushed..while Double Agent was a far cooler song. Even Cut to the Chase?

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 20 2011, 07:36 AM)
QUOTE (Babycat @ Sep 20 2011, 02:18 AM)
Neither. Not voting (sorry).

Too bad there wasn't a Like em Both option.

I can't quite understand why so many people are down on Dog Years. I really like that song and think it was one of the better songs on the album. For a while after it came out I wondered why it didn't get any airplay. I guess I know why. I haven't listened to Bald" in ages but as I remember it was pretty good too.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 20 2011, 12:37 AM)
facepalm.gif

How could any real Rush fan rip on "I Think I'm Going Bald?"
It's one of the most underrated songs in their musical canon.

You do know why the boys wrote that song right?

It was to pay homage to KISS for their song "Goin' Blind." After all Rush did open for KISS over 100 times back in the early Seventies.

"Dog Years" is pure dog shit and should not be compared to something off of the EPIC MASTERPIECE "COS."

"Carve Away The Stone" VS "Dog Years" would have been better.

I hate "Carve Away The Stoned" One of the worst songs ever written.

cool10.gif

Agreed...Though as much as I agree with you about Carve, I would substitute Superconductor, the only song I think that could beat DY in a worst of battle.