Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 21 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 21 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 21 2011, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 21 2011, 04:27 PM)
Steven confirmed the 2012 second leg, so hopefully those who couldn't see the show will have the opportunity next year.
http://starsdie.com/wp/steven-wilson-confi...2012-solo-tour/

If he doesn't come to texas I will commit suicide and come back to life a zombie in anger.

yes.gif I'm with you.

Unless it's like El Paso or somewhere insane like that. It'd take me less time to get to Chicago. laugh.gif

True that buddy, I didn't know yous was Texan 1022.gif howdy!

Actually, Mexico is in my backyard (almost literally) so maybe I can catch a gig there if it's not too far, but then I might come home in a bodybag laugh.gif

I hope he hits Austin, that's only 4 and a half hours away.

I'm in D/FW. It'd be nice to have him come here. PT played House of Blues. But, I'd go to Austin, Houston or San Antonio. trink39.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 21 2011, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 21 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 21 2011, 04:41 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Nov 21 2011, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 21 2011, 04:27 PM)
Steven confirmed the 2012 second leg, so hopefully those who couldn't see the show will have the opportunity next year.
http://starsdie.com/wp/steven-wilson-confi...2012-solo-tour/

If he doesn't come to texas I will commit suicide and come back to life a zombie in anger.

yes.gif I'm with you.

Unless it's like El Paso or somewhere insane like that. It'd take me less time to get to Chicago. laugh.gif

True that buddy, I didn't know yous was Texan 1022.gif howdy!

Actually, Mexico is in my backyard (almost literally) so maybe I can catch a gig there if it's not too far, but then I might come home in a bodybag laugh.gif

I hope he hits Austin, that's only 4 and a half hours away.

I'm in D/FW. It'd be nice to have him come here. PT played House of Blues. But, I'd go to Austin, Houston or San Antonio. trink39.gif

Maybe I'll see you there, that'd be neat tongue.gif

Hopefully he comes smile.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Nov 27 2011, 11:22 PM)
I just now am realizing how beautiful the choir on postcard is.

That just hit me the other morning when I was listening to it in bed. The choir really floored me, and it's like I hadn't noticed it as much before. Music can be great that way when it's done well.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 28 2011, 02:13 PM)
The choir is my favorite part. Postcard is the greatest song he's ever done imo.

I think it's so complex in the fact that it's so simple and he chose to write it justthat way with just those perfect lyrics on that perfect spot on the album. God that song is too beautiful and I never thought I'd say that about such a simple song tongue.gif wub.gif

ANd what's more beautiful is how Steven describes it. To paraphrase, "it may seem over the top, but I don't care anymore."

New interview

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/169345/9

He's already writing for a new solo album!!

I have actually also started writing new solo music as well. This music is specifically written for Adam and Theo and Marco and co to play. That is not what I was doing on the record so much. On the record I wrote without particular musicians in mind most of the time but now I am really pleased with this line-up I have got to play my solo music and I think that having a solo band I want to write for means I am sort of in that pocket creatively at the moment and I think that it is a good place for me to be.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 6 2011, 07:40 PM)
New interview

I have actually also started writing new solo music as well. This music is specifically written for Adam and Theo and Marco and co to play. That is not what I was doing on the record so much. On the record I wrote without particular musicians in mind most of the time but now I am really pleased with this line-up I have got to play my solo music and I think that having a solo band I want to write for means I am sort of in that pocket creatively at the moment and I think that it is a good place for me to be.

Well I'm really excited but above all I want to see the tour! 1022.gif

New interview

Looks like Porcupine Tree is well and truly on the back burner...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 6 2011, 10:08 PM)
New interview

sad.gif

It does look that way. I am really not happy about this but oh well. I would like new PT before new SW solo.

Maybe OSI will again recruit Gavin for a release. Blood was pretty good.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Dec 7 2011, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 6 2011, 10:08 PM)
New interview

sad.gif

It does look that way. I am really not happy about this but oh well. I would like new PT before new SW solo.

Maybe OSI will again recruit Gavin for a release. Blood was pretty good.

He's already confirmed to play on the new OSI that'll come out next year...

Starting to worry about PT's future...*

It is a good moody album. One that I feel with headphones is really nice after having a nice puff puff.

By no means does it even rival his output with Porcupine Tree.

It is clearly a departure. But Like I said in the PT thread I hear Incident influence all over the place on this album.

I enjoy disc one far more than disc two as well.

But overall a solid effort.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 16 2011, 12:52 PM)
Is his first solo album any good? How does it compare to Grace For Drowning?

It's good but I prefer Grace for Drowning far more.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 16 2011, 01:52 PM)

I like both. They have their own qualities that surpass each other. I actually prefer what SW is doing in his solo work over PT. The reason is that it is more emotional and expressive than any PT album but don't misunderstand, I love PT, it is just that I am more into his solo work right now. His solo stuff in my opinion really gives you a wide open view into the man that is SW (dark and twisted but beautiful).

Edited by friendlyfloridian

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 16 2011, 12:52 PM)

Two totally different styles between Insurgentes and GfD. Insurgentes takes some of the metal from Porcupine Tree and combines it with shoegaze influences. It's not that bad, and I prefer it more to GfD (though GfD is my favorite at the moment).