Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Dec 16 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 16 2011, 01:52 PM)
Is his first solo album any good? How does it compare to Grace For Drowning?

I like both. They have their own qualities that surpass each other. I actually prefer what SW is doing in his solo work over PT. The reason is that it is more emotional and expressive than any PT album but don't misunderstand, I love PT, it is just that I am more into his solo work right now. His solo stuff in my opinion really gives you a wide open view into the man that is SW (dark and twisted but beautiful).

goodpost.gif I'm also more into his solo stuff currently. Insurgentes is just as great as GFD imo.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Dec 16 2011, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Dec 16 2011, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Dec 16 2011, 01:52 PM)
Is his first solo album any good? How does it compare to Grace For Drowning?

I like both. They have their own qualities that surpass each other. I actually prefer what SW is doing in his solo work over PT. The reason is that it is more emotional and expressive than any PT album but don't misunderstand, I love PT, it is just that I am more into his solo work right now. His solo stuff in my opinion really gives you a wide open view into the man that is SW (dark and twisted but beautiful).

goodpost.gif I'm also more into his solo stuff currently. Insurgentes is just as great as GFD imo.

+3

I gained more interest in his solo stuff the moment he announced that he finished recording GFD and his solo tour. And I wouldn't gotten into his work with Bass Communion if it wasn't for that artistic Lasse Hoile curtain video at the start of his solo tour shows. While I favor GFD more at the moment, I still think that it's tied with Insurgentes as one of his all time best albums he's put out ever.

Like many here, I think it is safe to say that GFD is my "album of the year", and even above some of the PT albums, could be considered Wilson's Masterpiece, at least one of them... the album is honestly one of those albums that only comes along "every once in a while"

That being said, I do have one criticism about the album, and that is (and as a prog fan this might be considered blasphemous) the last 2 tracks of the album (the epic Raider II, and LDIHCFME) I feel run on a bit too long, and that a bit of fat could be cleared away from both tracks, especially towards the end of Raider II..

Raider II in specific kind of reminds me of Pink Floyds epic Echoes, not so much musically, but that in even though I love the song, I feel that there is alot of fat or padding to lengthen the song for the sake of making it longer...If you remember around 2003 or 04, Pink Floyd released a 2 disc compilation album also named Echoes, on which contained a 15 minuted abridged version of Echoes... But that version does not do what many edits do by merely presenting a watered down version of the longer/main version of the track. No in fact that version trimmed alot of the padding present in echoes and presented a slighty shorter but more concise version of the song, by trimming small sections throughout the song... 8 bars here.......4 bars there.....etc. Raider II I feel could have benefited from a similar treatment... Great track, but slightly overlong.

LDIHCFME, I feel needs to end a bit sooner... It feels like the last 3 minutes just make way for an overlong fadeaway... once agian great track, but a bit too much fat at the end.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 17 2011, 07:03 AM)
Like many here, I think it is safe to say that GFD is my "album of the year", and even above some of the PT albums, could be considered Wilson's Masterpiece, at least one of them... the album is honestly one of those albums that only comes along "every once in a while"

That being said, I do have one criticism about the album, and that is (and as a prog fan this might be considered blasphemous) the last 2 tracks of the album (the epic Raider II, and LDIHCFME) I feel run on a bit too long, and that a bit of fat could be cleared away from both tracks, especially towards the end of Raider II..

Raider II in specific kind of reminds me of Pink Floyds epic Echoes, not so much musically, but that in even though I love the song, I feel that there is alot of fat or padding to lengthen the song for the sake of making it longer...If you remember around 2003 or 04, Pink Floyd released a 2 disc compilation album also named Echoes, on which contained a 15 minuted abridged version of Echoes... But that version does not do what many edits do by merely presenting a watered down version of the longer/main version of the track. No in fact that version trimmed alot of the padding present in echoes and presented a slighty shorter but more concise version of the song, by trimming small sections throughout the song... 8 bars here.......4 bars there.....etc. Raider II I feel could have benefited from a similar treatment... Great track, but slightly overlong.

LDIHCFME, I feel needs to end a bit sooner... It feels like the last 3 minutes just make way for an overlong fadeaway... once agian great track, but a bit too much fat at the end.

I agree with a lot of that. I have three main contenders for album of the year and I honestly cannot pick. GFD is incredible and is SW's crowning achievement IMO.

Also, I agree with the endings of RII and LDIHCFME. Overly long intros/outros of silence is probably my least favorite thing that a musician can do. King Crimson does that a lot and it bothers the f**k out of me. But overall, I feel like both songs are very strong otherwise.

Strange...any mention of the live album appears to have been deleted. Either it was revealed w/o SW's knowledge and/or they pulled it until SW makes a formal announcement about it. Apparently the news was coming from Marco Minneman's website under his discography. IDK if it's still there or not.

And another thing I noticed was that SW mention the album being a 70 minute highlight...that looks more like an hour...he could've easily added Postcard and Harmony Korine on there to make it 70 minutes like he said it would be.

Edited by PolarizeMe

From what the dates show, that might be it for US shows....oh well, I saw and met him in NYC so I don't feel bad at all. I'll have to just pick up the live CD and BluRay this time around.

Oh and I'm really interested in this new "long piece" he's doing. The setlist is going to be the same based on what he said on his Facebook.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (tjtull @ Feb 6 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Feb 5 2012, 06:37 PM)
Steven recently did a Q&A with the Stars Die.com fansite. One of the questions that Steven answered happens to be mine.

http://starsdie.com/wp/steven-wilson-2012-...your-questions/

Nice Q&A, thanks for posting. Which Q was yours?

My question was the one about the out of print/limited edition Bass Communion albums. I'm assuming that all forthcoming 5.1 mixes from BC, PT, solo, etc. will be BluRay.

The question about another CD release of a live PT album was really interesting. Didn't know that SW has enough room in his house to store 20 years worth of live performances. He should really get all of the unused songs from the Coma Divine, Arriving Somewhere...and Anesthetize shows released someday.

Confirmed on Steven's facebook page just recently that the new live album 'Catalogue/Preserve/Amass' will be available to pre-order in about 48 hours from Headphone Dust. This is a limited edition of 3,000 copies and looks like it will just be a regular CD. Track listing is:

1. No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun (10.54)

2. Index (5.03)

3. Deform to Form a Star (8.29)

4. Sectarian (7.22)

5. No Part of Me (6.04)

6. Veneno Para Las Hadas (7.28)

7. Raider II (24.47)