Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

I saw the Orlando show last night and all I can say is that it was absolutely awesome. The House of Blues is a great venue because there isn't a bad seat in the place. All of the musicians did extremely well. For those that think that John Wesley might have had a problem with the material, think again. He was upfront and center with SW the whole show. The sound quality rivaled even Rush's sound from the TM tour. And for my money, this concert absolutely blew away any concert I've seen this year, in terms of performance, sound quality and originality. Edited by friendlyfloridian

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Nov 9 2011, 05:13 AM)
I saw the Orlando show last night and all I can say is that it was absolutely awesome. The House of Blues is a great venue because there isn't a bad seat in the place. All of the musicians did extremely well. For those that think that John Wesley might have had a problem with the material, think again. He was upfront and center with SW the whole show. The sound quality rivaled even Rush's sound from the TM tour. And for my money, this concert absolutely blew away any concert I've seen this year, in terms of performance, sound quality and originality.

Originality? I heard SW ripped off a bunch of songs from Nate2112 unsure.gif

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Nov 9 2011, 08:13 AM)
I saw the Orlando show last night and all I can say is that it was absolutely awesome. The House of Blues is a great venue because there isn't a bad seat in the place. All of the musicians did extremely well. For those that think that John Wesley might have had a problem with the material, think again. He was upfront and center with SW the whole show. The sound quality rivaled even Rush's sound from the TM tour. And for my money, this concert absolutely blew away any concert I've seen this year, in terms of performance, sound quality and originality.

Great to hear!! Can't wait to see him in Chicago next week!

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 9 2011, 01:59 PM)

who or what is Nate2112?

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Nov 9 2011, 12:34 PM)

who or what is Nate2112?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=68761

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 9 2011, 04:38 PM)

who or what is Nate2112?

lame

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Nov 9 2011, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 9 2011, 04:38 PM)

who or what is Nate2112?

lame

Wow....those lyrics were so original...no seriously those lyrics are 10x better than what SW can do... *end sarcasm* Oh wait a minute, no it's not because it's been done before, which goes to show how unoriginal kids can be today.

Edit: I'm just speaking the truth. I believe those lyrics are plagiarism and many including my English teacher would agree with me.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Someone bring this thread back on topic. Seems we are rubber necking a train wreck.

SW mentioned during the show that John Wesley joined the tour because the other guitarist was denied entrance into the US. And then SW said to John, "Don't f**k up the rest of the show." laugh.gif

Seriously, SW then mentioned to us that JW had exactly 4 hours to learn the material. You will notice in my pics that SW is helping JW with the chords and progressions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/polajenko/Stev...039868665831762

Fun stuff!

Edited by friendlyfloridian

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ Nov 10 2011, 10:54 AM)
SW mentioned during the show that John Wesley joined the tour because the other guitarist was denied entrance into the US. And then SW said to John, "Don't f**k up the rest of the show." laugh.gif

Seriously, SW then mentioned to us that JW had exactly 4 hours to learn the material. You will notice in my pics that SW is helping JW with the chords and progressions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/polajenko/Stev...039868665831762

Fun stuff!

Now that is awesome!

I love "Index" but some seem to regard it as filler. I think the video is great too.

I wish I had gone down to Lomdon to catch the show but I was really expecting him to throw in some gigs nearer to home. sad.gif

Still, there's always the new year. f**k the new PT album... tongue.gif

I think Jordan Rudess may make a guest appearance tomorrow night. He posted this video on youtube and facebook.

The description says "For some reason I am practicing my buddy Steven's Deform to Form a Star." unsure.gif

Since he played on both solo albums and is going to be playing a solo show the next day in NYC its likely that he will make a guest appearance!

Just met Steven at the signing, I asked him if he heard Moving Pictures in 5.1, he said he has yet to hear it and it's high on his must to hear list. Regarding the unreleased Porcupine Tree track Cryogenics, in his words, "It's so bad. It's really bad. You don't wanna hear it." He signed my deluded edition of Grace for Drowning, Insurgentes, and a SW postcard signed with my name. And yes, I got a picture with him. wink.gif

He only played 2 songs, Postcard and Deform to Form A Star. He jokingly said they deliberately did not rehearse for the performance. Rehearsed or not, it was fantastic. Can't wait for the show tonight!

Just got back from the show and signing. I left the house at 8:30 and I literally just walked in the door, so its been a long day.

The signing was great. He signed my deluxe edition Grace For Drowning and I got a picture with him! Steven's really approachable and a very cool guy. The 2 songs were phenomenal. I stood right near him since I got there so early.

After killing some time in J&R Records (the best record shop I've been to btw) I went to the theater and got in line early. I was able to get really close to the stage. There was only 1 row of people ahead of me and I was almost right in front of his keyboard.

I was really pissed since the show was supposed to start at 8 but it didn't start until 9:30. (I also found out that I don't like Bass Communion since they were playing the new album the whole time and it was so monotonous and sleepy sounding.) As for the wait, I heard a bunch of different reasons. Some were saying it was technical difficulties and I heard someone else say it was the venue's fault.

The 90 minute wait was totally worth it though. This show was simply a breathtaking experience. The band was in top form, and I would say that they were better than PT. Raider II was so good live. Marco tore it up on the drums. Nick Beggs, who I wasn't familiar with played the stick for most of the songs. Steven was of course as awesome as always and his voice sounded really good tonight.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 01:33 AM)
Just got back from the show and signing. I left the house at 8:30 and I literally just walked in the door, so its been a long day.

The signing was great. He signed my deluxe edition Grace For Drowning and I got a picture with him! Steven's really approachable and a very cool guy. The 2 songs were phenomenal. I stood right near him since I got there so early.

After killing some time in J&R Records (the best record shop I've been to btw) I went to the theater and got in line early. I was able to get really close to the stage. There was only 1 row of people ahead of me and I was almost right in front of his keyboard.

I was really pissed since the show was supposed to start at 8 but it didn't start until 9:30. (I also found out that I don't like Bass Communion since they were playing the new album the whole time and it was so monotonous and sleepy sounding.) As for the wait, I heard a bunch of different reasons. Some were saying it was technical difficulties and I heard someone else say it was the venue's fault.

The 90 minute wait was totally worth it though. This show was simply a breathtaking experience. The band was in top form, and I would say that they were better than PT. Raider II was so good live. Marco tore it up on the drums. Nick Beggs, who I wasn't familiar with played the stick for most of the songs. Steven was of course as awesome as always and his voice sounded really good tonight.

So. Cool. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm glad you had a good time.

I have to say, I'm very jealous of you all who are getting to see this show. sad.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 02:33 AM)

That basically explains how my whole day went. I have to say that show was probably better than the Radio City show PT played. Steven was a super nice guy at the signing and everyone who was getting autographs had time to talk with him which was awesome. I was standing at the same exact spot you were at. I was also a row behind the front and I was in between Steven and Wes.

As for the one hour of Bass Communion, according to Steven's manager Andy Leff, that whole Bass Communion with film backdrop was placed their to fill the hour gap of when the opening act would come on stage. It makes perfect sense cause Steven didn't go onstage till 9:30 and the show ended at 11:30. For me personally, I digged what I heard off of Cenotaph, especially the one that had a beat to it, but I won't lie and say the hour wait didn't piss me off like the others cause it did.

The set was superb and I wished I could go back and relive it over and over again. Harmony Korine rocked harder and louder than in the studio, the No Twilight intro was awesome, Raider II and Get All You Deserve were just epic and Venero Paras Las Hadas was a tearjerker. I would go as far as to say this was THE best concert I've ever been to period. I've never screamed so much at a show before, my voice is completely shot today. Everyone was fantastic, Marco and Nick Beggs really impressed me the most, Nick's backing vocals sounded amazing. Wes did an awesome job even though reading off a telepromter. And we all know how Steven was. I found it funny when Steven rocked the skinny jeans, I was like "Why is their something unusual about him?" at first. If you heard a guy that screamed "Rock the skinny jeans!!!" early on in the set, that was me.

Edit: Steven was selling Cenotaph at the show but I was informed that the CDs were all sold out before the start of the US leg.

Edited by PolarizeMe

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Nov 12 2011, 02:28 PM)
http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae82/jv...teven%20Wilson/

I couldn't take a lot of pictures since one of the ushers told me to stop. I was able to take a few pictures of the encore though.

Nice! I didn't really take many pictures myself, I bought my camera with me but decided not to use it because I didn't want to risk getting it confiscated, plus it's a really expensive one too. I only took about 5-7 pictures with my iPhone and aside from the two with Steven w/the mask, the rest were either bad or too dark cause it was the Bass Communion backdrop. I stood in front in the space between Steven and Wes and I swear there were a couple of times when Steven looked at the audience he was looking directly at me.