Steve Wilson - Grace For Drowning

Tony R

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i almost drowned in st maarten in the caribbean on an boat cruise. i didn't know how to snorkel. i was in a panic and couldn't get to shore and touch ground. was running out of energy and air and started to go under until the captain of the boat was bring people to shore in a little motor boat saw my distress and i grabbed on and pulled me to shore. man was i shaken up. i never got to that grace of peace stage. another 30 seconds i just might have. man was it scary as shit.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Sep 27 2011, 08:05 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 27 2011, 04:58 PM)
Well, this cries "I want to be King Crimson".

You say that like it's a bad thing

It is to an extent, because this seems way out of Wilson's realm. I swear, Robert Fripp could have ghost wrote half of this album. Now don't get me wrong, I love King Crimson. I just think Steven is going beyond his reach here. It's sort of what I expected though. I liked "Track One" and just got finished listening to "Raider II". The latter definitely sounds King Crimson with some Dream Theater influence.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 27 2011, 07:58 PM)

hahaha, you really think Steven Wilson of all people is desperate enough to have to resort to ripping off artists like King Crimson? He's created his own style that he's perfectly good at, which, as far as I'm concerned, creates the basis of the new album. The fact that it has heavy and noticeable King Crimson influence isn't a bad thing at all, and Wilson is far from being "out of his realm". Perhaps you just don't realize how large his realm truly is.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2011, 08:33 PM)

hahaha, you really think Steven Wilson of all people is desperate enough to have to resort to ripping off artists like King Crimson? He's created his own style that he's perfectly good at, which, as far as I'm concerned, creates the basis of the new album. The fact that it has heavy and noticeable King Crimson influence isn't a bad thing at all, and Wilson is far from being "out of his realm". Perhaps you just don't realize how large his realm truly is.

I never said that he was ripping them off, I was just saying he sounded too close to King Crimson. I highly respect Wilson for doing this album. He's really done well, but it just doesn't click with me yet. I'll listen to it again, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to actually like this album.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 28 2011, 03:18 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 27 2011, 08:33 PM)

I never said that he was ripping them off, I was just saying he sounded too close to King Crimson. I highly respect Wilson for doing this album. He's really done well, but it just doesn't click with me yet. I'll listen to it again, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to actually like this album.

Some moments do sound a bit like 70's Crimson, but the album(s) sounds A LOT like Steven Wilson.

There has always been a part of his music that was open to influances...

Early PT was very Floydish, PT started to be more metal around 2000 starting with In Abstentia when Steven got into metal bands, like Opeth or Meshuggah (no sure about the spelling...). Now he's really into KC, he's been remastering their whole catalog for a few years.

Besides, even KC dosen't sound like that these days tongue.gif

My copy came from Newburry Comics today....I haven't listen to it yet cause I'm watching the Rush concert on VH1 Classic, but the book looks amazing! The blue clothbook will go well with my grey Anesthetize deluxe edition really well!

Alright, listening to this again, I like it. Not as much as I thought it would have been (think about mixing 'Insurgentes' and 'In Absentia' together). Love the use of the mellotron in the "Deform to Form A Star" part of the album is absolutely perfect.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 28 2011, 09:47 PM)
Alright, listening to this again, I like it. Not as much as I thought it would have been (think about mixing 'Insurgentes' and 'In Absentia' together). Love the use of the mellotron in the "Deform to Form A Star" part of the album is absolutely perfect.

You Know, I almost agree.... I love the album, but the second disc does not live up to the first..... You could trim about 5 minutes off the epic, and about 2 off the last track and have fitted it onto 1 disc, and have had a masterpiece, instead of a great record..

That is after 1 listen however... I could change my mind.

Raider II is the best King Crimson song

After a few listens, my thoughts are still not concrete about the album. SW has annoyingly pulled a Billy Corgan and used two of the better songs as outtakes instead of releasing them on the actual album (Home In Negative & Fluid Tap).

Overall, it's too soon to tell. I think I was expecting a bit more jazz influence, which would've been cool on the more KC inspired songs. Raider II needs some serious Brufordesque insanity on the drums, rather than the restrained playing I hear, but the song is quite awesome otherwise

Postcard is great, as is Sectarian, Belle De Jour, and Remainder The Black Dog. The others haven't sunken in yet completely.

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Sep 27 2011, 08:36 PM)
So I just went to buy it from iTunes, and discovered that the 23 minute "Jazz Odyssey" is not included. Only on the actual CD's.

That bites!

angry.gif

Not sure what you mean. I got it on iTunes and Raider II was definitely included. I think what you're mistaking is where it says "Album Only" means that you cannot buy the song as an individual mp3, you have to buy the entire album in order to get that song.

Usually really long songs are labeled as 'Album Only'. Probably because it seems unfair to pay $1.29 for either a 3 minute song and a 23 minute song.