Neil Peart News July

Tony R

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 16 2011, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 16 2011, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:26 PM)
seriously, people like earthshine give rush fans a bad name.

coming on kinda strong, ain't cha newbie?

BTW, a lit blunt in one hand and an unread Fountainhead in the other wearing a 2112 t-shirt doesn't define "The Rush Fan". As it turns out, there is no such thing as "THE" Rush fan (like we're goths or something). We like Rush music. That's it. That's what we have in common.

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want. And THAT blade cuts on both sides.

Whoever goes around forcing people to believe as they do?

Christians or Muslims or an atheist group putting up billboards or having "honk if you love Jesus" bumper stickers on their cars is hardly forcing.

Forcing, like, you know...involves force. It just seems Peart thinks that others who disagree with his viewpoint on the matter are virulent, screeching hatemongers with a gun to his head making him go to church.

Frankly I think he read Dawkins' "Watchmaker" book and has been spouting the same stuff ever since.

Are you trying to refute something I said or are you agreeing? I can't quite tell.

Christians or Muslims or an atheist group putting up billboards or having "honk if you love Jesus" bumper stickers on their cars is hardly forcing.
As it turns out, that isn't force at all. I've never read anything from him to indicate that he feels anyone is putting a gun to his head, although many people [simply by virtue of statistical probability] who disagree with him ARE virulent, screeching hatemongers.

Anyway...back to the point. I only said:

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want.
Meaning he's indicated that people should be free to believe and express whatever they want with one exception...if what they want is to deny someone else that freedom. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

While having nothing to do with my comment, on the subject of using force: Hope this isn't considered quibbling, but I did say TRYING to force...it is near impossible to literally FORCE someone to think differently.

But in terms of actually using force (physical or otherwise) or bringing pressure to bear in an attempt to compel someone to change or at least forsake their beliefs is a time honored tradition with examples too numerous to list here. It always seems to emanate from any ideological extremism. I have first hand experience of this; which, while a bit too personal to share on the internet, does give me some perspective here.

In a milder sense, personal verbal attacks are a form of coercion to silence those who would disagree with one...an example of which was at the heart of my original reply.

goodpost.gif

Good grief. THIS AGAIN? Seriously, is it such a huge threat to anyone's faith that NEP doesn't have the same one as they? Really? You should ask yourself why it bugs you so much. Insecurity, maybe?

And whoever asked whether he explored "deeper meanings" after what happened to his family... How the hell do you know he didn't? What, just because he didn't come around to YOUR way of thinking he didn't do any soul searching? That's pretty f#%king arrogant. We don't have any idea what he did or didn't think about. What makes you think YOU do?

I wish the Neil-haters would just skip these threads. Every. Damn. Time. they come in and whine about what Neil wrote or didn't write. Okay. We know. You don't like what he writes. Please spare the rest of us your whinging and complaining about the same damn thing.

beathorse.gif

And as for Geddy's dropping an F-bomb. Get over it. One time in 35 years he says f#%k and some folks are all insulted. Childish much? sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 16 2011, 11:02 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:26 PM)
seriously, people like earthshine give rush fans a bad name.

coming on kinda strong, ain't cha newbie?

BTW, a lit blunt in one hand and an unread Fountainhead in the other wearing a 2112 t-shirt doesn't define "The Rush Fan". As it turns out, there is no such thing as "THE" Rush fan (like we're goths or something). We like Rush music. That's it. That's what we have in common.

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want. And THAT blade cuts on both sides.

Whoever goes around forcing people to believe as they do?

Forcing, like, you know...involves force. It just seems Peart thinks that others who disagree with his viewpoint on the matter are virulent, screeching hatemongers with a gun to his head making him go to church.

Frankly I think he read Dawkins' "Watchmaker" book and has been spouting the same stuff ever since.

Are you trying to refute something I said or are you agreeing? I can't quite tell.

As it turns out, that isn't force at all. I've never read anything from him to indicate that he feels anyone is putting a gun to his head, although many people [simply by virtue of statistical probability] who disagree with him ARE virulent, screeching hatemongers.

Anyway...back to the point. I only said:

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want.
Meaning he's indicated that people should be free to believe and express whatever they want with one exception...if what they want is to deny someone else that freedom. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

While having nothing to do with my comment, on the subject of using force: Hope this isn't considered quibbling, but I did say TRYING to force...it is near impossible to literally FORCE someone to think differently.

But in terms of actually using force (physical or otherwise) or bringing pressure to bear in an attempt to compel someone to change or at least forsake their beliefs is a time honored tradition with examples too numerous to list here. It always seems to emanate from any ideological extremism. I have first hand experience of this; which, while a bit too personal to share on the internet, does give me some perspective here.

In a milder sense, personal verbal attacks are a form of coercion to silence those who would disagree with one...an example of which was at the heart of my original reply.

Not sure I was disagreeing with you but trying to point out that folks on both sides of the issue tend to be extremely sensitive & whiney and resort to accusing the other side of using "force" when in actuality they simply disagree.

Peart can say whatever he likes, it's no skin off of my nose, but I just find it lacking in class to constantly berate people who don't think as he does. Kinda small & petty for such a seemingly nice & smart dude.

As for folks bringing up this same old topic: it wouldn't be brought up so much if Peart didn't bring it up so much. Every. Single. Blog. And. Song. And. Book.

I have this image in my mind of Neil getting on his motorcycle, riding through small towns, carrying a large sign that says "I have an opinion on everything and will be critical of your way of life" complete with background music "...start spreadin' the news..." rofl3.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 17 2011, 08:25 AM)
I have this image in my mind of Neil getting on his motorcycle, riding through small towns, carrying a large sign that says "I have an opinion on everything and will be critical of your way of life" complete with background music "...start spreadin' the news..." rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif

Dude that killed me! Good one.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 17 2011, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 17 2011, 08:25 AM)
I have this image in my mind of Neil getting on his motorcycle, riding through small towns, carrying a large sign that says "I have an opinion on everything and will be critical of your way of life" complete with background music "...start spreadin' the news..."  rofl3.gif

rofl3.gif

Dude that killed me! Good one.

with his little friend, um, security, taking pictures of him pointing at objectionable billboards.

I am always somewhat amazed and disappointed at the amount of attention the "Neil's Beliefs" issue gets on this forum. To me, Neil's starkly obvious deficiency as a writer is that, for such an eloquent lyricist, his prose is utterly, mind-bogglingly, stultifyingly DULL.

Like the starship Enterprise going to warp, I go into skim-reading mode whenever I partake of the News Weather Sport dispatches on his site. I just scan my way down the blocks of bone-aching tedium as fast as I can, trying to find mention of Ged and Al in particular, and of the band/gigs/music as a whole.

I am pretty sure that one could construct a piece of software that, given an input of three types of bird-species, a few cactus varieties, and the names of various towns and cities etc., could spit out similarly unedifying drivel. It seems that whenever Neil puts fingers to keyboard, the point that he misses wholesale is that good writing embodies tension followed by resolution. That is what makes good stories tick, but that notion eludes our man completely. Were Neil not famous for his day job, no publisher would ever give the green light to one of his books. Truth be told, it bothers me that there are many excellent, unpublished writers out there whose work will never see the light of day because of issues of fashion or plain bad-luck, yet Neil has managed to get into print multiple times with his 'just add water' approach to writing.

As regards Ged using the F-word - so flippin' what? I am surprised he has not used it more at times. Moreover, if people are worried about their children hearing such language at a gig, what are they doing taking pre-pubescent youngsters along to a rock concert in the first place? Rock music is grown-up stuff, so one should be unsurprised at grown-up 'content' from the audience and the band equally.

Why do these threads on Neil's writings ALWAYS devolve into complaints about his critical views on religion?

FFS, he didn't bring it up ONCE in this month's News, Weather, and Sports entry.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 17 2011, 10:06 AM)
Why do these threads on Neil's writings ALWAYS devolve into complaints about his critical views on religion?

FFS, he didn't bring it up ONCE in this month's News, Weather, and Sports entry.

Mara, I don't think it's so much about his opinions on religion, although that is part of it. He can't seem to write anything without passing negative criticism about somebody.

Great entry, I really enjoyed it. I have driven down a lot of those same roads and seen the same places, it was nice to be reminded of them. I was a bit surprised at the number of miles he covered on the tour. That is a lot of riding, especially in first gear on a graveled road. It was also heartening to hear how much he enjoyed the tour and the fans.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 17 2011, 09:06 AM)

Because he's the one talking about this stuff. We wouldnt talk about it if he didnt. It will never stop until he stops He uses his position of influence to constantly remind us of his beliefs so obviously it's going to keep coming up here.

It's one thing to put it in a song here and there such as freewill, but it seems like he can only write about 2 things, riding his bike, which is not exciting to anyone but him, and religion. He sure doesnt like to write about the one thing all of us care about, Rush, so this is probably never going to end.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 17 2011, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 17 2011, 10:06 AM)

Mara, I don't think it's so much about his opinions on religion, although that is part of it. He can't seem to write anything without passing negative criticism about somebody.

In his writings, Neil does often come off as arrogant, opinionated and judgmental, not just about religion but about, well, almost everything. I think that Neil wants to make sure that people know for good or for ill exactly who he is, perhaps in a spirit of "I'd rather be derided for what I am than celebrated for what I am not," and so must constantly assert the things that he most strongly believes to minimise the possibility of illusions. Perhaps he is driven even harder to do so by the fact that elimination of such illusions is impossible. This upsets people who, whether consciously or not, want to believe that the people who create things about which they care deeply are people of noble character with whom they would have a lot in common and could be friends. I think that, basically, Neil wants the world to know that he and most people probably would not enjoy sitting down with each other for a natter.

What I don't entirely understand is why the people that it bothers keep going back for more. Surely by now people know what to expect from Neil's blogs? Maybe the perennial complainers like being annoyed and/or disappointed. Or maybe they're just doing something similar to what Neil is doing because they don't want anyone to assume that their loving Rush as a band means that they agree with Neil's beliefs and opinions. Sort of like the way that Rush fans often feel a need to let non-fans know Tom Sawyer isn't their all-time favourite Rush song wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 17 2011, 11:01 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 17 2011, 09:06 AM)

Because he's the one talking about this stuff. We wouldnt talk about it if he didnt. It will never stop until he stops He uses his position of influence to constantly remind us of his beliefs so obviously it's going to keep coming up here.

It's one thing to put it in a song here and there such as freewill, but it seems like he can only write about 2 things, riding his bike, which is not exciting to anyone but him, and religion. He sure doesnt like to write about the one thing all of us care about, Rush, so this is probably never going to end.

OK, but that's a totally different topic from THIS MONTH'S entry.

Which, incidentally, has a pretty positive tone overall. No grumping about "I hate touring, glad it's over". In fact, he made a point of going on about how much he loves and appreciates Rush audiences.

I usually skim through Neil's newsletters finding bits that peak my interest. When Ghostrider came out, (at first) was fascinated by his detailed observations and opinion., But it quickly became tiresome which for the most is part were i stand now with his writing. I think this is a therapeutic release for Neil (thinking out loud) and feels there's a audience, who get a chance to peer into the window of his personal life without having to make contact with anyone. On his constant history lessons,"The Civil rights movement- Selma march" I already knew all that he wrote about, and hope most Americans know also. Being a history buff myself i like to indulge in local history when traveling and bore my wife with little facts about the past schla03.gif laugh.gif I thought it was refreshing to hear how much he appreciated the fans and in the end was very satisfied with time machine tour. I know I was!!! CLEVELAND ROCKED!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think many miss that Neil's blogs seem catered more to riding affectionados than music fans. So if you are bored to tears, it is likely that you are not one who enjoys stories of touring on a motorcycle. I myself enjoy doing that so I like to read the blogs (though, I confess, I find myself skimming a lot of his writing...he's not especially engaging to me) Edited by ioc

As far as his views on religion go, the truth is that a blog is by it's very nature an editorial, not investigative journalism. I think there are so many blogs that try to pass themselves off as more than a public journal that maybe the line between them is getting fuzzy. At this phase in his life, Neil appears to be contemplating how so many people, who are generally good, can be so hateful championing and supporting belief systems that profess to be based on love, while simultaneously fomenting violence. I find that to be a legitimate observation. Whatever my personal spiritual beliefs are, it is difficult to deny it. So, that is what he writes about. I can't fault him for that, though I wonder at his apparent inability to reconcile the disparity between belief, faith and dogma. I don't have it all figured out; but there is no moral or intellectual conflict for me in figuring out where "belief" can go horribly wrong...be it religious or scientific in nature. Edited by ioc

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 17 2011, 01:01 PM)
At this phase in his life, Neil appears to be contemplating how so many people, who are generally good, can be so hateful championing and supporting belief systems that profess to be based on love, while simultaneously fomenting violence. I find that to be a legitimate observation. Whatever my personal spiritual beliefs are, it is difficult to deny it. So, that is what he writes about. I can't fault him for that, though I wonder at his apparent inability to reconcile the disparity between belief, faith and dogma. I don't have it all figured out; but there is no moral or intellectual conflict for me in figuring out where "belief" can go horribly wrong...be it religious or scientific in nature.

yes.gif

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 17 2011, 02:01 PM)
As far as his views on religion go, the truth is that a blog is by it's very nature an editorial, not investigative journalism. I think there are so many blogs that try to pass themselves off as more than a public journal that maybe the line between them is getting fuzzy. At this phase in his life, Neil appears to be contemplating how so many people, who are generally good, can be so hateful championing and supporting belief systems that profess to be based on love, while simultaneously fomenting violence. I find that to be a legitimate observation. Whatever my personal spiritual beliefs are, it is difficult to deny it. So, that is what he writes about. I can't fault him for that, though I wonder at his apparent inability to reconcile the disparity between belief, faith and dogma. I don't have it all figured out; but there is no moral or intellectual conflict for me in figuring out where "belief" can go horribly wrong...be it religious or scientific in nature.

goodpost.gif

Neil's riding between shows as much as he does really makes him a liablity to the band.

The off track riding too on days off. He is really putting himself and the band at a risk as even he has shown before. I don't know why he keeps doing it. I really hope he never has an accident or an incident. He is not immortal or invincible, even if he is an atheist or agnostic or whatever he is.

It seems also that the only time he has on the road now with Alex and Geddy is when they are onstage together. I remember the days when they all rode on the tour bus together.

I'll be honest, though, I do wish he wouldn't lay it on so thick in his lyrics that end up on Rush albums. When you spell something out so specifically like he tends to do lately, it makes it difficult to sing along when you don't feel that way or feel exactly the opposite.

I mean, most everyone can get behind themes exposing the evils of hatred, prejudice, violence, dishonesty, and the like. But to spell out choices people make as being inherently related to such, as if those choices of belief are capable of nothing but evil and evil does not exist apart from them, is imbalanced and pretty short-sighted. You are going to alienate a lot of people from embracing the larger, more important theme and end up creating less enjoyable music.

For instance, I can be writing about the horrors of religious zealots or Siberian Gulags without having to name them specifically to illustrate a point. Even Red Sector A didn't specifically name the Nazi regime because Neil wanted it to have a broader meaning; and said as much. There's no real reason he can't accomplish the same thing about hypocrisy and hope without railing on a specific ideology.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 15 2011, 11:30 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MDLti7rJo

see end.  geddy does indeed drop the f bomb smile.gif

I just lost a lot of respect for Geddy and the entire band. In 34 years of listening to this band and seeing them live many times, this is the very first time I have seen this happen. One of the great things we used to love about Rush was that they never resorted to that type of adolescent behavior and language. That was left for trailor trash like Roth and Rose.

Now it looks like Geddy is joining that pack. A sad day for Rush.

Alex and Neil need to address this with Geddy.

If I had my kids in the audience, I would be very embarrassed. There are a lot of little kids nowadays at Rush concerts. Shame on you Geddy. Shame on you.

popcorn.gif

Even Neil seemed shocked by it. He seems to rationalize it at the end of his long article, but I can tell even he didn't like it. I imagine if he brings it up, it might go like this:

(THIS IS PURE SATIRE! JUST FOR FUN! Do NOT take it seriously! smile.gif )

Neil: "You really told them what you felt that last night Dirk."

Geddy: "Yeah, Pratt. It was a f***ing great tour."

Neil: "I was just a little...surprised! (said with a smile and a good natured smile). smile.gif

Geddy: "f**k man! It's rock 'n' roll!"

Neil: "But when we use those words, we become like some of them". Then takes a drink from The Macallen. trink38.gif

Geddy: "Them? Lerxst are you getting all this?"

Alex: schla03.gif

Neil: Yeah, them! The ones I like to call 'The Wal-Mart shoppers'. Those who come to our shows to 'party' and who wouldn't know Hemingway from Hemispheres. The over 250 lb. people who have been getting drunk and stoned the whole day of the show."

Geddy: "Well, they pay for their tickets too."

Alex: "Does anybody know the score on the World Cup?"

Neil: "Not sure. I can ask Michael to check. As long as it is not Japan! Or the U.S.! Neither deserve to win and neither deserve to be there."

Neil calls Michael on his cell.

Neil: "Japan just won. More proof there is no God. I mean look at how they treat their women? You know that those women felt they had to win. Or else..."

Geddy: "Pratt, it is just a game. I am cool with it. Look at how great they are getting in baseball."

Neil: "Bet nobody over there dropped the f bomb when they won. Yet America sure bombed them."

Geddy: "We got a song from it."

Neil: "That hopefully educated Americans and the world."

Neil: "Ged, I don't know what's come of you. First, you fight again to make us play Closer to the Heart which you know I DO NOT want to play EVER again!!! Yet, I play it to make YOU happy! Then, you go and drop the f bomb without even telling us or even asking us what we think of it! I know Lerxst was embarrassed, as was I! I wanted to run even FASTER than I do off that stage!" angry.gif

Geddy: "Neil, you're homesick for Carrie and Olivia. You'll be better after getting home to them."

Neil: "That's ANOTHER thing! Carrie heard about it, texted me and asked 'Did he really say that?' She later called me, we talked and she said, 'I am glad Olivia was not there. Now or when she is a little older.' I didn't know what to tell her. I know that....(sobs a little) Selena would not have liked it. She always thought more of you. And us."

Geddy: (After a long pause) "Well, man. I am sorry. I really am."

Neil: "I tried to cover for you in my blog. Tried to do 'damage control'".

Geddy: "Thanks man. Guess I'll see you back in the studio. And to get ready for the next tour."

Alex: "There is no 'next tour'. I am leaving". rofl3.gif

Neil: "Shut up!" (with a smile) smile.gif

Geddy: "No, I am leaving. Got too much solo material in the can." wink.gif

Neil: "Are you serious?" ohmy.gif

Geddy: "(With a smile) Nah!!!!! We hold on!" smile.gif

2.gif

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 08:17 PM)
earthshine are you a conservative christian female from the 1950s?

geddy can say whatever he wants to say on stage, and if you are taking a baby to a concert to begin with, I'm sure you've sweared around your kids before

grow up

He can say whatever he wants. But I don't have to bring my kids to his concerts. Nor will many others. Has nothing to do with being Christian or conservative. It has to do with class. Bands that use the f bomb on stage show no class. Not even Zeppelin did such things. Yet, they had class. Something that Rush is losing it seems. I guess that Geddy is trying to "relate to" the younger foul mouthed generation. Honestly, it probably just happened. I would expect better of him. I thought he was beyond that.

There is one thing I think you are forgetting. These guys aren't prophets sent down from the heavens, they are human beings just like the rest of us. So once in 30+ years of doing shows, Geddy says the foul, heathen mother of curse words and you claim that it diminishes the bands class? Give me a break, when did everyone start becoming hypocritical, pompous, idiots?

Geddy as far as I'm concerned you can say whatever the hell you want to say my friend, same goes for the rest of the band. Human, all too human.

signs015.gif