Neil Peart News July

Tony R

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 10:09 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 08:56 PM)
But Peart is more and more calling people who choose to believe in any type of a Higher Power morons. As if to say they are stupid and he is smart and knows better.

This is what I find off-putting about his remarks the last few years and ironically he's being just as bigoted and intolerant as those faith filled buffoons he considers bigoted and intolerant.

He's seemingly charming and witty in recent interviews until the mere mention of faith comes up. Case in point is the interview with George S. where he mentions that he considers a truck driver having a religious message on his rig as an "assault".

Now, c'mon. How much of an over-sensitive puss do you have to be to take that stance? If he wasn't so serious it would be laughable.

He also mocked "fat people" in Ghost Rider but has put on the pounds himself. Hes just a dude.

Edited by lerxt1990

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a fan of Rush and always will be, but Neil is going too far. I don't care about the topics he writes about for CA as long as the music is good, but all his blogs and interviews are ridiculous. I have no interest in reading anything else he writes. I'm not offended by the bashing, but he's beating this topic to the ground. Give it up already. I love his music and he is one of the best drummers out there, but he is making himself seem like an ass while insulting many of his fans.

As for Geddy swearing, I could care less. I'm sure all the kids at that show have heard worse.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 16 2011, 10:26 PM)
I'm still a fan of Rush and always will be, but Neil is going too far. I don't care about the topics he writes about for CA as long as the music is good, but all his blogs and interviews are ridiculous. I have no interest in reading anything else he writes. I'm not offended by the bashing, but he's beating this topic to the ground. Give it up already. I love his music and he is one of the best drummers out there, but he is making himself seem like an ass while insulting many of his fans.

As for Geddy swearing, I could care less. I'm sure all the kids at that show have heard worse.

you could *not* care less laugh.gif wink.gif

Did any kids get to watch the documentary yet? oh the horror.

i get a kick out of people who find out adult musicians at adult concerts do adult things. Now i myself have never heard Ged swear on stage, but would have gotten a kick out of it happening for that reason. Kinda adds something given how he never really does, although ive heard plenty in interviews and the movie do it. he seems to be the one guy in the band that routinely does iot in interviews anyway. I also get a kick out of people who bring a 11-12 year old to a RUSH, Slayer etc concert and get upset by what we do in the seats.

You should know better to either not bring yer pre-teen to a show that adults are predominately at, or should explain to them what and why everything you see and hear may not be the best path to follow.

Its great to share you "experience" with yer kid and all, but is it really the right time in their maturity level to do it? Some kids can make the proper judgements at earlier ages, some not so much yet. Its up to the parent to make the decision on whats best fer yer kid.

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 16 2011, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 16 2011, 10:26 PM)

you could *not* care less laugh.gif wink.gif

oops.gif doh.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:18 PM)
if you guys nitpick about geddy swearing and neil not believing in a phony made-up character, then you guys aren't even rush fans.

So how do you know it is "a phony made up character"? You sound like a Neil wannabe. rofl3.gif

So all Rush fans should believe in the same things and have the same opinions on things? Sounds like something out of an Ayn Rand story! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:18 PM)
if you guys nitpick about geddy swearing and neil not believing in a phony made-up character, then you guys aren't even rush fans.

So how do you know it is "a phony made up character"? You sound like a Neil wannabe. rofl3.gif

So all Rush fans should believe in the same things and have the same opinions on things? Sounds like something out of an Ayn Rand story! rofl3.gif

If Neil says so, then it must be true! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:26 PM)
seriously, people like earthshine give rush fans a bad name.

coming on kinda strong, ain't cha newbie?

BTW, a lit blunt in one hand and an unread Fountainhead in the other wearing a 2112 t-shirt doesn't define "The Rush Fan". As it turns out, there is no such thing as "THE" Rush fan (like we're goths or something). We like Rush music. That's it. That's what we have in common.

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want. And THAT blade cuts on both sides.

Edited by ioc

no I don't believe everything that neil believes, and I don't take a trip to france every year and I'm not a big baseball fan.

all I'm saying is that there's not anyway to know if there is any type of god or not, and I'm saying that it makes rush fans look silly as a whole when people like earthshine say things like IT IS EMBARASSING FOR A ROCK N ROLL MUSICIANS TO SAY SWEAR WORDS ON STAGE AT A ROCK N ROLL CONCERT.

now I could understand if rush was playing at your church if you got mad that he said a dirty word - but considering jimi hendrix was simulating sex with a guitar in like 1968, geddy lee saying THE ALMIGHTY F WORD (gasp! hold me) in 2011 isn't gonna shake the earth.

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 16 2011, 10:06 PM)

BTW, a lit blunt in one hand and an unread Fountainhead in the other wearing a 2112 t-shirt doesn't define "The Rush Fan". As it turns out, there is no such thing as "THE" Rush fan (like we're goths or something). We like Rush music. That's it. That's what we have in common.

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want. And THAT blade cuts on both sides.

Whoever goes around forcing people to believe as they do?

Christians or Muslims or an atheist group putting up billboards or having "honk if you love Jesus" bumper stickers on their cars is hardly forcing.

Forcing, like, you know...involves force. It just seems Peart thinks that others who disagree with his viewpoint on the matter are virulent, screeching hatemongers with a gun to his head making him go to church.

Frankly I think he read Dawkins' "Watchmaker" book and has been spouting the same stuff ever since.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 16 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 08:17 PM)
earthshine are you a conservative christian female from the 1950s?

geddy can say whatever he wants to say on stage, and if you are taking a baby to a concert to begin with, I'm sure you've sweared around your kids before

grow up

He can say whatever he wants. But I don't have to bring my kids to his concerts. Nor will many others. Has nothing to do with being Christian or conservative. It has to do with class. Bands that use the f bomb on stage show no class. Not even Zeppelin did such things. Yet, they had class. Something that Rush is losing it seems. I guess that Geddy is trying to "relate to" the younger foul mouthed generation. Honestly, it probably just happened. I would expect better of him. I thought he was beyond that.

A. Led Zeppelin did drugs, trashed hotel rooms, slept with whores, and their drummer died choking on his own vomit. On an earlyish tour they had to almost force Plant to bathe. Great band. Classy? OK maybe they didnt drop the f-bomb.

B. Rush is a rock act. 35 years, one little f-bomb at the end of the tour. Cut them some slack, for goodness sakes.

That is all.

Careful. You're actually making sense there.

I wouldn't come down too hard on Geddy for cursing. Peart seemed to indicate it was a spur of the moment, emotional thing. I must say that I'm happy that their shows are kid friendly overall. Some don't have a problem with exposing young kids to R rated behavior, but some do.

I won't take my 12 year old to a Foo Fighters concert because Dave Grohl can't talk for three minutes without using the 'F' word 500 times.

It all goes back to respect, love and tolerance. I mean, would you go to your girlfriends house for the first time and start talking about oral sex at the dinner table in front of her parents? Regardless of what you feel about the subject, it's just plain bad taste.

OK Sermon over

Keep the faith

Clem

What is even more amazing than Ged dropping the 'f-bomb' is that how much of society still thinks the 'f-bomb' is off limits. lmfao What was that monologue Carlin did years ago, about the 7 words you can never say on TV? Well what do you know, since then, 3 of these words get said on TV, and this forum, on a regular basis! yes.gif And I'm tellin' ya now it looks like f*ck just might have a chance to be added to that list, making it the 4th word you will occasionally hear on TV.

So it looks like society finally caught onto reality in how those 3 words are used, and they aren't really that big of a deal after all now were they? Here are the 4, including the f-bomb, people can look up the other 3 if they want, I won't list them here. lol 1. Shit 2. Piss 3. Tits 4. F*ck Some info from Wiki below on how these 4 have been heard on TV, and this is unedited at Wiki but I know TRF will correct this so no biggie...

Some of the words on Carlin's original list have since been used to some degree on broadcast television in the United States. The word tits was uttered on the first episode of The Trials of Rosie O'Neill in 1990, sparking some controversy. It has been also uttered more recently in the popular Jimmy Kimmel video "I'm f***ing Ben Affleck," in which Ben Affleck utters "Hey, Sarah, he's got bigger tits", which originally aired on the After Oscar special of the ABC show Jimmy Kimmel Live after the 80th Annual Academy Awards, all without incident. The word "piss" (usually used in the context of the phrase "pissed off") has been commonplace since the 1980s. The word shit was heard on rare occasions in the 1990s, for the first time in an episode of Chicago Hope spoken by Mark Harmon, and later in the season eight episode of ER in which Dr. Mark Greene dies. The word "shit" was also spoken in several episodes of NYPD Blue. CBS currently airs the show "Shit My Dad Says" based on a Twitter feed but they spell it "S#!T" and pronounce it as "bleep".

Producers have often implied the word f**k, although usually obscuring the word with a background sound effect or a beeping sound. One of Carlin's later additions to the list, fart, is also used frequently. Turd is regularly used on broadcast TV, though in performance Carlin explained that you can say it, "but who wants to?"

On March 10, 2002, CBS aired "9/11", a prime-time special featuring first responders during the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. It contained a number of utterances of the word "f*ck."[11] One notable early use of this word on American television occurred a few years after Carlin made his list, when the documentary Scared Straight!, which included numerous utterances of the word and its derivatives, was broadcast uncensored.

The FCC has often looked at the context of the use of a word when judging whether it is objectionable. This has at times led to controversy, such as when a bureau of the FCC deemed the utterance of the word f*cking (as an intensifier) in January 2003 at the live Golden Globe Awards broadcast by Bono, the front man of the band U2, not indecent under its criteria since they said that under the context of its use it was not intended to describe or depict sexual and excretory activities and organs.[12] The full FCC, however, later reversed the decision in early 2004, though a fine against Bono has not been levied. In December 2003 Congressman Doug Ose, citing the incident, introduced legislation in the US House of Representatives that would have explicitly deemed six of the words profane (tits was excluded but asshole added).

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 11:32 PM)

Christians or Muslims or an atheist group putting up billboards or having "honk if you love Jesus" bumper stickers on their cars is hardly forcing.

right on!

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 10:32 PM)

Forcing, like, you know...involves force. It just seems Peart thinks that others who disagree with his viewpoint on the matter are virulent, screeching hatemongers with a gun to his head making him go to church.

Frankly I think he read Dawkins' "Watchmaker" book and has been spouting the same stuff ever since.

Are you trying to refute something I said or are you agreeing? I can't quite tell.

As it turns out, that isn't force at all. I've never read anything from him to indicate that he feels anyone is putting a gun to his head, although many people [simply by virtue of statistical probability] who disagree with him ARE virulent, screeching hatemongers.

Anyway...back to the point. I only said:

What Peart really believes is that you should believe what you want so long as it doesn't mean trying to force someone else to believe what you want.
Meaning he's indicated that people should be free to believe and express whatever they want with one exception...if what they want is to deny someone else that freedom. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

While having nothing to do with my comment, on the subject of using force: Hope this isn't considered quibbling, but I did say TRYING to force...it is near impossible to literally FORCE someone to think differently.

But in terms of actually using force (physical or otherwise) or bringing pressure to bear in an attempt to compel someone to change or at least forsake their beliefs is a time honored tradition with examples too numerous to list here. It always seems to emanate from any ideological extremism. I have first hand experience of this; which, while a bit too personal to share on the internet, does give me some perspective here.

In a milder sense, personal verbal attacks are a form of coercion to silence those who would disagree with one...an example of which was at the heart of my original reply.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 16 2011, 06:59 PM)
Good god, perhaps Ged was just caught up in the moment.

Sheesh. You'd think he gutted a hog on stage or something.

This made me LOL!!

laugh.gif