Neil Peart News July

Tony R

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2011, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 18 2011, 11:56 AM)
phelps is a herring, its people like Rick Santorum that truly scare me

why? Because of his Christian beliefs?

No matter who runs for president, they all have some kind of belief that motivates them, religious or otherwise.

Rick Santorum is probably the real thing though as opposed to Obama who only goes to church for publicity purposes and photo ops.

mostly because he wants to legislate his religious convictions. I again refer to the Jefferson Principle. I also think your assessment of Obamas Church going not really fair, as he has been a practicing Christian most of his life. If I remember correctly when he was running for pres he was a radical christian under Jeremiah Wright. It wasnt till after he was elected he supposedly became a radical muslim. but im not gonna go much further with this as it is not the place I figure. yer more than welcome to come on MY SHOW and discuss it tho

Edited by ucsteve667

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 18 2011, 12:02 PM)

No matter who runs for president, they all have some kind of belief that motivates them, religious or otherwise.

Rick Santorum is probably the real thing though as opposed to Obama who only goes to church for publicity purposes and photo ops.

mostly because he wants to legislate his religious convictions. I again refer to the Jefferson Principle. but im not gonna go much further with this as it is not the place I figure. yer more than welcome to come on MY SHOW and discuss it tho

How do you know he wants to legislate his religious convictions?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2011, 11:03 AM)

mostly because he wants to legislate his religious convictions. I again refer to the Jefferson Principle. but im not gonna go much further with this as it is not the place I figure. yer more than welcome to come on MY SHOW and discuss it tho

really? sorry im late but i had to add to my last post

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 18 2011, 12:07 PM)

really?

yes, I'm really asking.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2011, 11:08 AM)

really?

yes, I'm really asking.

just look at his record and comments on womens reproductive rights for starters, but again, ya wanna go further with this...i have my own show for that

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 18 2011, 12:09 PM)

really?

yes, I'm really asking.

just look at his record and comments on womens reproductive rights for starters, but again, ya wanna go further with this...i have my own show for that

I'm not interested in your show.

Although, too bad about the unborn women whose rights (to life, free speech, and pretty much everything else) are ultimately denied.

I am shocked and offended that Neil would dare call Lynyrd Skynyrd a bunch of rednecks. f**k Neil Young!! Mess with the bull, ya get the horns. That's what my pappy learned me.

Focus, people! Focus! Your rage needs to be channeled towards something tangible.

I have come to the conclusion that this blatant attack on Southern Rock will eventually force me to burn all of my Rush albums. I need to rediscover Molly Hatchet and bask in my Confederate roots!

boarder.gif <---------- The snowboard sorta looks like the Stars and Bars, so I went with it.

tongue.gif

Personally, I like rednecks (the term originates with farmers whose necks get sunburned) who do an honest days work, and are underpaid, to provide the food we put on our tables.

Now, unless members of Lynard Skynard were farmers (I don't know, were they?), Neil kinda gave them an incorrect label.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2011, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jul 18 2011, 12:09 PM)

really?

yes, I'm really asking.

I'm not interested in your show.

Although, too bad about the unborn women whose rights (to life, free speech, and pretty much everything else) are ultimately denied.

i have an answer fer this, but ill save it for MY SHOW

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jul 18 2011, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jul 18 2011, 09:15 AM)
We are WAY into SOCN, IMO.

Concur

Yeah, I'm out.

bolt.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jul 18 2011, 11:50 AM)
Really?  All this hoopla and no popcorn.gif  emoticon?

I think it was a page or two back.

I think I've also seen beathorse.gif a couple times.

Pretty much the two most appropriate emoticons for this thread.

The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[10]

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political coalitions (Democratic Party) of the poor white farmers in the South.[11] The same group was also often called the "wool hat boys" (for they opposed the rich men, who wore expensive silk hats). A newspaper notice in Mississippi in August 1891 called on rednecks to rally at the polls at the upcoming primary election:[12]

The American definition of redneck vs. the Scottish one provided earlier. Alabama is located in the United States.

and since most "rednecks" tend to live on farms, I'm guessing the American use of the term is more apt.

When Neil used the term redneck, was he talking of those with Scottish descent or was he referring to the ones by the definition I provided?

"redneck" is used in a derogatory manner in the same way "negro" is.

hmmmm....food for thought.

I must be a redneck if....

Since I'm from North Carolina, had Scottish Presbyterians as ancestors on my mother's side.

In that case, I'm proud to be a redneck. Now, kiss my redneck, white scottish ass! smile.gif

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 18 2011, 12:35 PM)
The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts...men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks".[10]

By 1900, "rednecks" was in common use to designate the political coalitions (Democratic Party) of the poor white farmers in the South.[11] The same group was also often called the "wool hat boys" (for they opposed the rich men, who wore expensive silk hats). A newspaper notice in Mississippi in August 1891 called on rednecks to rally at the polls at the upcoming primary election:[12]

The American definition of redneck vs. the Scottish one provided earlier. Alabama is located in the United States.

and since most "rednecks" tend to live on farms, I'm guessing the American use of the term is more apt.

When Neil used the term redneck, was he talking of those with Scottish descent or was he referring to the ones by the definition I provided?

"redneck" is used in a derogatory manner in the same way "negro" is.

hmmmm....food for thought.

I must be a redneck if....

Since I'm from North Carolina, had Scottish Presbyterians as ancestors on my mother's side.

In that case, I'm proud to be a redneck. Now, kiss my redneck, white scottish ass! smile.gif

i only did that cause odlly enough i read something on that recently.

I guess I'm one of Neil's 'loonies' then. Gotta believe in something. Maybe he can write a song about me "The Looney Fat Man who walks in the Fast Food Restaurant!". LOL!

I still like Rush.

Edited by RUSHian62

QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 18 2011, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Jul 18 2011, 02:19 AM)
One more thing, this thread should probably be renamed, "Blog by Neil Peart: Peart Haters Voice Your Hate and Those Who Are Indifferent Make Rebuttals."

beathorse.gif

I prefer to think of it as horse-tenderizer. You get a lot more cash for it in Canada that way.

beathorse.gif drool1.gif user posted image

Lol! Maybe we should start a business in Canada that serves tender horse meat with a large portion of bacon on the side.

bacon.gif + beathorse.gif = drool1.gif

Although I didn't know you could even eat horse.

Peart is not a writer, he's a drummer who got a publishing contract because he's in a semi-famous band and the money grubbing publishers know full well his fan base will guarantee a fair amount of sales.

Let's be real for a sec.

If Peart still worked on the farm he'd not be having anything published except his tax forms.

This is the truth, don't hate me because I dare to speak it.

That is all.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Jul 18 2011, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (ioc @ Jul 18 2011, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Dobner has assumed control @ Jul 18 2011, 02:19 AM)
One more thing, this thread should probably be renamed, "Blog by Neil Peart: Peart Haters Voice Your Hate and Those Who Are Indifferent Make Rebuttals."

beathorse.gif

I prefer to think of it as horse-tenderizer. You get a lot more cash for it in Canada that way.

beathorse.gif drool1.gif user posted image

Lol! Maybe we should start a business in Canada that serves tender horse meat with a large portion of bacon on the side.

bacon.gif + beathorse.gif = drool1.gif

Although I didn't know you could even eat horse.

Yup. Canadians loves them some Secretariat on Rye. burger2.gif drool1.gif

I bet the bacon would go over well. We could call it Filly Mignon. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 18 2011, 03:06 PM)
Peart is not a writer, he's a drummer who got a publishing contract because he's in a semi-famous band and the money grubbing publishers know full well his fan base will guarantee a fair amount of sales.

Let's be real for a sec.

If Peart still worked on the farm he'd not be having anything published except his tax forms.

This is the truth, don't hate me because I dare to speak it.

That is all.

cool.gif

thats your truth...

but with almost 40 years of publishing under his belt I respectfully disagree

Wow, Geddy says the f-word for the first time that Neil can remember, and some folks on TRF have a meltdown? confused13.gif

I wasn't even sure from Neil's description whether this was said on stage, or afterward when the band was talking. Do we know for sure if he said that on stage at The Gorge? If so, does that really cause such strong negative feelings for some folks? unsure.gif

Edited by PariahDog