Neil Peart News July

Tony R

I've made up my mind that I'm not buying the next album if there are more topics on faith or being faithless. His writing begins to lack creativity when he dwells on this.

Then again, I'm getting burned out on Rush. I'm ready to find myself interested in other bands.

Edited by circumstantial tree

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think NP is a total dick. He does express some humility in his writing, but there is a mindset that many people have wherein they think that what they believe puts them in the majority with most of the people on the planet. The sooner we all learn that is true the better we will all get along. Maybe.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 16 2011, 01:47 PM)
I've made up my mind that I'm not buying the next album if there are more topics on faith or being faithless. His writing begins to lack creativity when he dwells on this.

Then again, I'm getting burned out on Rush. I'm ready to find myself interested in other bands.

should he write about ayn rand and tolkien some more? or going bald?

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jul 16 2011, 03:56 PM)
Its this kind of holier than thou crap that he dislikes...and I agree. People that claim to know the "answer" because they're of a particular faith. It sickens me.

Me too. I stopped going to church largely because of this. I believe that all good religions are on the same path. Even without religion, there are millions of great people. Religion is unnecessary. If you want it, fine. But it has nothing to do with whether or not you are a good person or live an honest and good life.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 15 2011, 11:30 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MDLti7rJo

see end. geddy does indeed drop the f bomb smile.gif

I just lost a lot of respect for Geddy and the entire band. In 34 years of listening to this band and seeing them live many times, this is the very first time I have seen this happen. One of the great things we used to love about Rush was that they never resorted to that type of adolescent behavior and language. That was left for trailor trash like Roth and Rose.

Now it looks like Geddy is joining that pack. A sad day for Rush.

Alex and Neil need to address this with Geddy.

If I had my kids in the audience, I would be very embarrassed. There are a lot of little kids nowadays at Rush concerts. Shame on you Geddy. Shame on you.

4 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

hiya! bekloppt.gif what gives? smile.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 08:17 PM)
earthshine are you a conservative christian female from the 1950s?

geddy can say whatever he wants to say on stage, and if you are taking a baby to a concert to begin with, I'm sure you've sweared around your kids before

grow up

He can say whatever he wants. But I don't have to bring my kids to his concerts. Nor will many others. Has nothing to do with being Christian or conservative. It has to do with class. Bands that use the f bomb on stage show no class. Not even Zeppelin did such things. Yet, they had class. Something that Rush is losing it seems. I guess that Geddy is trying to "relate to" the younger foul mouthed generation. Honestly, it probably just happened. I would expect better of him. I thought he was beyond that.

Rush is going to end up like Yes if they are not careful. Right now, that band is a laughing stock at this point.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 08:17 PM)
earthshine are you a conservative christian female from the 1950s?

geddy can say whatever he wants to say on stage, and if you are taking a baby to a concert to begin with, I'm sure you've sweared around your kids before

grow up

He can say whatever he wants. But I don't have to bring my kids to his concerts. Nor will many others. Has nothing to do with being Christian or conservative. It has to do with class. Bands that use the f bomb on stage show no class. Not even Zeppelin did such things. Yet, they had class. Something that Rush is losing it seems. I guess that Geddy is trying to "relate to" the younger foul mouthed generation. Honestly, it probably just happened. I would expect better of him. I thought he was beyond that.

A. Led Zeppelin did drugs, trashed hotel rooms, slept with whores, and their drummer died choking on his own vomit. On an earlyish tour they had to almost force Plant to bathe. Great band. Classy? OK maybe they didnt drop the f-bomb.

B. Rush is a rock act. 35 years, one little f-bomb at the end of the tour. Cut them some slack, for goodness sakes.

That is all.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 16 2011, 08:35 PM)
B. Rush is a rock act.  35 years, one little f-bomb at the end of the tour.  Cut them some slack, for goodness sakes.

That is all.

I was just shocked after all these years. It seemed really out of character. I just hope it does not become a habit.

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 16 2011, 08:35 PM)
B. Rush is a rock act.  35 years, one little f-bomb at the end of the tour.  Cut them some slack, for goodness sakes.

That is all.

I was just shocked after all these years. It seemed really out of character I just hope it does not become a habit.

Just jiving. Id have been surprised as well..

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 16 2011, 08:43 PM)
Its sort of like the first time you hear your parents curse.... lol.

Well, it is one thing to speak like that a little in interviews or documentaries as he has done. But live in front of an audience? Especially with all those kids there.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 16 2011, 01:40 PM)
Yeah? Go read his last story, from last month I believe. I stopped reading when I got to the point where he says (and all those loonies.... woops... I meant people of faith).

What is he 10 years old? The dude is an immature child attacking huge groups of people not only on his albums, but even in his little blog posts.

Im not a person of faith, but I could never imagine writing something like that in a blog, knowing people are paying attention. Not unless I wanted to look like a total douchebag. [/quote]
I am a man of faith and I wish he would quit doing it too. I doesn't offend me, but it does rip me right out of what he was talking about. It is like he goes out of his way to make little digs. Towards the end of Far And Away he spends time saying that gaining the respect of his fellow man is a high goal for him. Then in the next section he says that he has no respect for anyone who believes in God.

I don't know why he bothers so much. I love the music and I enjoy reading his books. I wish he would keep the religion bashing to a minimum or eliminate it altogether.

If you don't want eternal life then don't worry, it won't fall on you. [/quote]
There's nothing wrong with not believing in god, but there is something wrong with attacking those that do on a constant basis. He not only uses multiple Rush albums as a vehicle for this, but he also does in his news posts.

I'm more indifferent about it. I would never say there is no god because I simply dont know and just never headed down that path, but totally understand why people have faith and what that does for them, and its a good thing. Not specifically being a worshiper doesnt make me a bad person. Im very moral and kind to everyone I meet. But he regularly crosses that line into just flat out insulting everyone that's different than him, and uses any way he can do it, Rush albums, his site, books.

Despite all the success he's had and all the people that hang on his every word, he really just a cranky bitter closed minded old man, no different than anyone else just like him.

If he were anyone else I would ignore, but since Im a fan it just annoys me that he goes on and on about this. I hoped S&A would be the end of it, but it seems like clockwork will be more of the same shit. If its the last Rush album, he would go out with just another album of attacking people different than him. Sometimes I wonder how Geddy and Alex feel about that, if they even care.

I don't care whether Peart believe in God or not. That is his choice.

But has he not tried to look deeper at things in life with all that he went through? And not only those things, but at the great things that have come back into his life; such as playing music, meeting a new wife and having a new child?! ohmy.gif

To him, it is all chance. Maybe it is.

But Peart is more and more calling people who choose to believe in any type of a Higher Power morons. As if to say they are stupid and he is smart and knows better.

I hope Peart continues to enjoy his life.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 16 2011, 01:47 PM)

should he write about ayn rand and tolkien some more? or going bald?

Cars.

Trees.

Storms.

Call letters to an airport.

Music.

Excitement.

The human experience.

Anything but religion, dear God.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jul 16 2011, 08:56 PM)
But Peart is more and more calling people who choose to believe in any type of a Higher Power morons. As if to say they are stupid and he is smart and knows better.

This is what I find off-putting about his remarks the last few years and ironically he's being just as bigoted and intolerant as those faith filled buffoons he considers bigoted and intolerant.

He's seemingly charming and witty in recent interviews until the mere mention of faith comes up. Case in point is the interview with George S. where he mentions that he considers a truck driver having a religious message on his rig as an "assault".

Now, c'mon. How much of an over-sensitive puss do you have to be to take that stance? If he wasn't so serious it would be laughable.