• La Villa Strangiato
    • Freewill*
    • YYZ
    • Show Don't Tell
    • Leave That Thing Alone*
    • Driven*
    • Ceiling Unlimited
    • Malignant Narcissism

The ultimate question is whether or not the intro to Cyngus X-1 should be considered a solo.

Also, my mistake with adding the asterisk to Freewill. I was ify on adding that song, too, but the playing during Alex's solo is just insane, and it starts off with just Geddy and Neil, so...

I think this will start a slippery slope, deciphering bass solo from bass line tongue.gif

Edited by Kenneth

Closer to the Heart* [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Hemispheres (intro) [ 1 ] [12.50%]

La Villa Strangiato [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Freewill* [ 1 ] [12.50%]

YYZ [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Show Don't Tell [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Leave That Thing Alone* [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Driven* [ 1 ] [12.50%]

Ceiling Unlimited [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Malignant Narcissism [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Total Votes: 8

^ ha.

QUOTE (Drummerrobin @ Jun 24 2011, 02:35 AM)
There's a bass solo at the end of Witch Hunt. I think it's only on the album version.

Ah, so there is. Nowhere near Ged's best, but it still should be on the list!

In the future, I'll make an updated, complete version.. And probably exclude freewill, otherwise it will make the 'solo' criteria too complex. And, who knows, maybe Clockwork Angels will actually be released some day, and that album will have a bass solo somewhere on it!

I went with Driven. I think the bass work is immense on the entire album but this bad boy grabs you and shakes the shit out of you.

Then when it is played live you suddenly realise I'm right

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Jun 24 2011, 07:28 AM)
I went with Driven. I think the bass work is immense on the entire album but this bad boy grabs you and shakes the shit out of you.

Then when it is played live you suddenly realise I'm right

Have to agree

I love the bass in all of these songs, especially Driven and Show Don't Tell.

However, I voted for the end jam of CttH live. Makes me feel good every time I hear it on a boot or something. And then Alex comes in... 1022.gif

Ill go with YYZ for difficulty, mainy because he plays those 3 little solos in the middle and he often doesnt play the 2nd one well, especially these days, so Ill go with that. You know it's hard if the guy that wrote it cant even play it right all the time. Edited by trenken

As soon as I read the thread title, the bass solo from Freewill jumped in my head. I would have said Vital Signs too, but that isn't on the list. I do happen to love Leave That Thing Alone's live solo, but since the bass solo from Freewill jumped in my mind first, I'll have to go with that one.

All of those are great but I would have to say his best SOLO, or my favorite atleast is Show Dont Tell. Its so creative and uses so many technical skills (harmonics quick hammer and pull offs etc.) its great! Ahh..im going to listen to that right now biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Jun 24 2011, 11:54 AM)
All of those are great but I would have to say his best SOLO, or my favorite atleast is Show Dont Tell. Its so creative and uses so many technical skills (harmonics quick hammer and pull offs etc.) its great! Ahh..im going to listen to that right now biggrin.gif

Its very good but its not as hard to play as that second solo fill in YYZ or even the one in La Villa. I have a harder time with both of those than that Show Dont Tell solo.

Do the bass parts in the beginning and end of Red Barchetta constitute as bass solos?

I went with YYZ... it doesn't get much better than that.

I love the solo in Show Don't Tell as well

I had to go with Driven from the Different Stages solo. For a moment you think he is done and then... DAMN can a man play the bass that cool and still be human? You decide. I'm a fanboy and can't be objective. GeddyFinal.gif

He's been having a lot of fun with LTTA on this tour. Watching him enjoy it is half the fun for me!