wow!!

s_b_g

... i feel a need to shake up this part of the forum wink.gif ...

.. in that i would like to hear about bands and music that people like that were not formed in the 70's and 80's wink.gif and still producing stuff - come on folks - music is not just about nostalgia it's about vibrancy and excitement - so let's hear about bands that have rocked your world within the last 10 years (see i'm being mega generous giving you 10 years wink.gif )

d

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh...Disturbed and Godsmack.

About the only 2 I can think of, but that is going back a little more than 10 years.

Not much I care about most recent music these days.

a few that come to mind and other than muse, bands I have seen live.

between the buried and me

mastodon

muse

porcupine tree

buckethead

animals as leaders

scale the summit

and most recently- Kings Of Prussia. see thread below in MOTS. seeing these guys in July.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 8 2011, 01:45 PM)
eh...Disturbed and Godsmack.
About the only 2 I can think of, but that is going back a little more than 10 years.
Not much I care about most recent music these days.

Godsmack is pretty close to completely re-hashed AIC in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like them and have enjoyed seeing them live (3Xs IIRC), but they do seem a bit too AIC leaning.

Disturbed is an interesting band. I love when the lead singer actually sings as I feel he is an excellent vocalist. But the screaming turns me off and it's not just him. I know I sound like a dinosaur (nearly 55 so guess I am a dino!! LOL) but I also know what I like in music and one of the things I know I like is a singer that sings.

One of the other issues I have with modern stuff is that the guitar has kind been relegated to a background instrument in a lot of bands rather than a lead instrument. That's one reason I like Godsmack even though they do seem a bit too AIC leaning, because the guitar is a lead instrument for them.

How about Queens of the Stone Age?

Foo Fighters? (I know they've been around for more than 10 but they are relatively newish)

QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 8 2011, 03:34 PM)
.. in that i would like to hear about bands and music that people like that were not formed in the 70's and 80's wink.gif and still producing stuff - come on folks - music is not just about nostalgia it's about vibrancy and excitement - so let's hear about bands that have rocked your world within the last 10 years (see i'm being mega generous giving you 10 years wink.gif )

d

what's wrong with bands formed in the 70's and 80's?

just because one enjoys music created 30, 40, 50 (or more) years ago does not automatically relegate it to nostalgia

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 8 2011, 04:07 PM)
QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 8 2011, 03:34 PM)
.. in that i would like to hear about bands and music that people like that were not formed in the 70's and 80's wink.gif and still producing stuff - come on folks  - music is not just about nostalgia it's about vibrancy and excitement - so let's hear about bands that have rocked your world within the last 10 years (see i'm being mega generous giving you 10 years wink.gif )

d

what's wrong with bands formed in the 70's and 80's?

just because one enjoys music created 30, 40, 50 (or more) years ago does not automatically relegate it to nostalgia

no but it does limit your concert options. cool10.gif

its all good, listen to past but never give up on the present. this forum does tends to lean towards to older music IMO.

as i have said here before there are few things better than catching a up and coming band in a small local venue.

Alice In Chains and Foo Fighters out out albums lately that I love.

Porcupine Tree is also very solid.

Beyond that......not much of anything I've heard these days does anything for me.

Except for Rush, of course.

QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 8 2011, 04:34 PM)

d

I'm going to be mega generous and not tell you what I really think about this thread except tosay there are tons on new bands and new music discussed in MOTS. Why don't you look through the threads before you proclaim this forum needs a shake-up.

yes.gif

I kind of take exception to the idea that people listen to old music out of nostalgia. I listen to older as well as newer music and never do I get nostalgic about it. Most of the music I listen to (old and new) is timeless and I can relate it all to where I am (currently) in my life.

That said, some of the newer bands that I really like are:

Porcupine Tree

Opeth

Riverside

Mastodon

Karnivool

The Pineapple Thief

The Mars Volta

Tool

...and if you throw in some Led Zeppelin, Tull, Pink Floyd, Yes...it all works together and only adds variety. Nothing nostalgic about it. cool.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 8 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (s_b_g @ Jun 8 2011, 04:34 PM)
.. in that i would like to hear about bands and music that people like that were not formed in the 70's and 80's wink.gif and still producing stuff - come on folks  - music is not just about nostalgia it's about vibrancy and excitement - so let's hear about bands that have rocked your world within the last 10 years (see i'm being mega generous giving you 10 years wink.gif )

d

I'm going to be mega generous and not tell you what I really think about this thread except tosay there are tons on new bands and new music discussed in MOTS. Why don't you look through the threads before you proclaim this forum needs a shake-up.

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

I am only 14 years old so just about everything is 'new' to me. I mostly listen to 70s stuff. I don't think listening to old music is 'nostalgic' at all. Right now I'm still getting into fairly famous bands so I still have to whole underground scene to listen to. Maybe when I'm done listening to the 70s I will listen to newer stuff.

But wait! New music is usually crap! yes.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 8 2011, 09:18 PM)
I am only 14 years old so just about everything is 'new' to me. I mostly listen to 70s stuff. I don't think listening to old music is 'nostalgic' at all. Right now I'm still getting into fairly famous bands so I still have to whole underground scene to listen to. Maybe when I'm done listening to the 70s I will listen to newer stuff.

it WAS a good post, but that last line made you lose all credibility b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 05:01 PM)
if i didn't have that, i'd spend a lot more time digging through the present to find what's good.

And you would probably spend a lot of time finding nothing exciting.

I'm trying to think of a band from the last ten years that I've really found exciting and want more from. It's hard and it's not for lack of trying, my shelves are full of cd's from bands that I'm sure I'm gonna love and then I listen a few times and I'm done with it and never buy another.

I do like the Foo's but they've been around longer than ten years I think

I like the first few Killers cd's; I was enamored with Franz Ferdinand for a time; same with Chevelle; Wolfmother; the list goes on, they all seem to bore me after awhile and I go back to the old stuff.

But, I'm pretty old so I guess that's ok.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 8 2011, 09:23 PM)

I am referring to pop. I know some new rock is good. But most current pop and popular rap is most definitely crap.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 8 2011, 09:41 PM)

I am referring to pop. I know some new rock is good. But most current pop and popular rap is most definitely crap.

eyesre4.gif New music has always been crap! It's the oldest "opinion" on God's green earth! I've been listening to music since the 1970's, guess what, Pop music was crap back then, too.

There are only two types of music - good music and bad music.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 8 2011, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 8 2011, 09:41 PM)

eyesre4.gif New music has always been crap! It's the oldest "opinion" on God's green earth! I've been listening to music since the 1970's, guess what, Pop music was crap back then, too.

There are only two types of music - good music and bad music.

goodpost.gif Yes pop music has usually been bad, but now pop music is even worse. Especially because there is no real instrumentation.

CLUTCH RULES

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/248042_10150189654603743_170691943742_7052896_3510813_n.jpg