wow!!

s_b_g

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 8 2011, 10:03 PM)

goodpost.gif Yes pop music has usually been bad, but now pop music is even worse. Especially because there is no real instrumentation.

hypothetical situation for you:

let's say I sit you down at a brand new mac computer running pro tools 9, give you a 88-key midi controller and a sheet of lyrics, and told you to make me a song that's even of equal quality to what's on the radio. doesn't even have to be better than that, just equal. Would you know what to do, and be able to complete the task successfully?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 8 2011, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 05:01 PM)
if i didn't have that, i'd spend a lot more time digging through the present to find what's good.

And you would probably spend a lot of time finding nothing exciting.

I'm trying to think of a band from the last ten years that I've really found exciting and want more from. It's hard and it's not for lack of trying, my shelves are full of cd's from bands that I'm sure I'm gonna love and then I listen a few times and I'm done with it and never buy another.

I do like the Foo's but they've been around longer than ten years I think

I like the first few Killers cd's; I was enamored with Franz Ferdinand for a time; same with Chevelle; Wolfmother; the list goes on, they all seem to bore me after awhile and I go back to the old stuff.

But, I'm pretty old so I guess that's ok.

i do love the innocence mission. of course they've been around since the 90's.

i do want to pick up some sigur ros albums at some point, as i've really liked what i've heard of them.

i did go through a big shoegaze/trip-hop/ambient/electronic music phase in the 90's, and I still love a lot of that stuff. If any of those genres continued to produce classics beyond the 90's, I don't know about them, but I'd be curious to find out more when time (and fundage) allows...

Edited by rushgoober

I love old music but here are some newer bands I enjoy:

Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Dream Theater, Astra, Mars Volta, Mars Hollow, Anathema, Black Country Communion, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, Radiohead, Beardfish, Black Keys, echolyn, Frost*, Moon Safari, District 97, Spocks Beard, Big Big Train, Haken, Karmakanic, Pure Reason Revolution, and more.

I'm only 15 so I don't consider old music nostalgic. If I like something I listen to it. I hate when people my age don't listen to music because I how old the band is.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Jun 8 2011, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 8 2011, 01:45 PM)
eh...Disturbed and Godsmack.
About the only 2 I can think of, but that is going back a little more than 10 years.
Not much I care about most recent music these days.

Godsmack is pretty close to completely re-hashed AIC in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like them and have enjoyed seeing them live (3Xs IIRC), but they do seem a bit too AIC leaning.

Disturbed is an interesting band. I love when the lead singer actually sings as I feel he is an excellent vocalist. But the screaming turns me off and it's not just him. I know I sound like a dinosaur (nearly 55 so guess I am a dino!! LOL) but I also know what I like in music and one of the things I know I like is a singer that sings.

One of the other issues I have with modern stuff is that the guitar has kind been relegated to a background instrument in a lot of bands rather than a lead instrument. That's one reason I like Godsmack even though they do seem a bit too AIC leaning, because the guitar is a lead instrument for them.

How about Queens of the Stone Age?

Foo Fighters? (I know they've been around for more than 10 but they are relatively newish)

I like Disturbed to but what are you talking about when you say he screams? He doesn't do that at all, at least when you compare him with other metal singers that do nothing but incoherant screaming and growling. David Draiman's vocals are very much a clean style of singing.

Besides Disturbed here are some other favorites over the last decade:

Black Label Society

Foo Fighters

Alter Bridge

Shadows Fall

Nightwish

Within Temptation

System Of A Down

Oh, so many newer bands to list all that I dig. And my tastes have expanded. Leading the pack is Porcupine Tree. Frost* is pulling up fast too. One more solid release from these guys will put them in the Best New Prog Band category.

But being all over the place with tastes, I will add Shinedown, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, Foo Fighters, Sick Puppies, tool, Symphony X, Vanden Plas...geez...it goes on and on.

I must admit to have fallen behind as far as new bands in the past decade. That's not to say there isn't plenty of good new stuff around (from newer and older bands). I hear plenty of interesting current stuff around, I'm just not able to connect the names of the bands to the music so much. However, I do intend on changing that in the near future.

Also, as goober was saying, I'm always picking up on great stuff I'd never heard before from the 60s/70s that is just fantastic. The main thing for me about the music from that era is the variety of influences and musical depth within it as well as an intelligence and importance that seems to be generally lacking in the more recent stuff.

Regarding pop music, there was loads of great pop music in the 60s and the 80s (and admittedly a lot of crap as well).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 8 2011, 10:22 PM)
Here are 5 current bands I enjoy:

TV on the Radio
Battles
Arcade Fire
Deerhunter
Grizzly Bear

Yes. Oh yes.

And,

Trembling Bells

The Unthanks

Arbouretum

Eternal Tapestry

John Grant

Wobbler

Wild Beasts

And So I Watch You From Afar

and plenty others.

Arch Enemy

Black Label Society

Sevendust

Skinlab

Tool

Alter Bridge

The Black Dahlia Murder

Cavalera Conspiracy

Gov't Mule

Derek Trucks

Neal Morse

Opeth

Otep

A Perfect Circle

Scar Symmetry

Warren Haynes

DevilDriver

Hatebreed

In Flames

Kingdom Of Sorrow

Machine Head

Nevermore

Symphony X

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 9 2011, 08:09 PM)
modern bands that have rock my world? None. As far as i concern, right now everything suck, with the exception of Transatlantic, the last real progressive band.

facepalm.gif

you don't like it, i don't care.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 9 2011, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 12:07 AM)
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Absolutely. Looks like Heidi Klum, sounds like Barracuda-era Ann Wilson.

I'd also add Jack White's White Stripes up to Get Behind Me Satan.

Never thought that I'd see another Grace Potter fan on a Rush board laugh.gif

She's probably my favorite female vocalist. I love the first 2 albums. The last one is good but way too overproduced.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 09:45 PM)
She's probably my favorite female vocalist. I love the first 2 albums. The last one is good but way too overproduced.

I actually learned about her earlier stuff only after hearing Paris. The first couple of albums she sounds a little like a cross between Sheryl Crow and the Black Crowes. The new album is a little more polished, but I like her classic rock feel. One of these days she's going to absolutely explode.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 9 2011, 09:25 PM)
modern bands that have rock my world? None. As far as i concern, right now everything suck, with the exception of Transatlantic, the last real progressive band.

facepalm.gif

you're entitled to your own opinion, but to say that "right now everything suck" (sic) is misguided and ignorant. at least you acknowledge ("as far as i am 'concern'") that you're ignorant, but if you know it, i don't understand why you wouldn't try to educate yourself. And Transatlantic isn't the "last real progressive band", either. Beardfish has released an album this year, The Tangent has one scheduled, The Flower Kings and Porcupine Tree have albums coming out, Opeth's new album is supposed to be growl-free (which means it will be real old-school style prog.) I might also add that i'm barely keeping up with the progressive scene, so what i've listed are simply the releases that are BIG ENOUGH that i've heard of them.

Why don't you try educating yourself a little before making such bold statements (or at the very least, humble yourself a little bit), and don't act surprised or offended when people question your "opinions".

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 9 2011, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 9 2011, 12:07 AM)
Grace Potter & The Nocturnals

Absolutely. Looks like Heidi Klum, sounds like Barracuda-era Ann Wilson.

I'd also add Jack White's White Stripes up to Get Behind Me Satan.

i love grace potter. what a powerful voice she's got!

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 10 2011, 05:02 PM)

I actually learned about her earlier stuff only after hearing Paris. The first couple of albums she sounds a little like a cross between Sheryl Crow and the Black Crowes. The new album is a little more polished, but I like her classic rock feel. One of these days she's going to absolutely explode.

I don't remember how I found out about her. This Is Somewhere was the first album I got back in February and its my favorite. The new one is good, but I don't get why Paris became such a big hit. Its a good song but there are much better songs on the album like Medicine, Tiny Light, and Oasis.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 10 2011, 04:16 PM)

facepalm.gif

you're entitled to your own opinion, but to say that "right now everything suck" (sic) is misguided and ignorant. at least you acknowledge ("as far as i am 'concern'") that you're ignorant, but if you know it, i don't understand why you wouldn't try to educate yourself. And Transatlantic isn't the "last real progressive band", either. Beardfish has released an album this year, The Tangent has one scheduled, The Flower Kings and Porcupine Tree have albums coming out, Opeth's new album is supposed to be growl-free (which means it will be real old-school style prog.) I might also add that i'm barely keeping up with the progressive scene, so what i've listed are simply the releases that are BIG ENOUGH that i've heard of them.

Why don't you try educating yourself a little before making such bold statements (or at the very least, humble yourself a little bit), and don't act surprised or offended when people question your "opinions".

yeah, well, everything suck, from porcupine tree to opeth and everything in the middle, a lot of posers, they are not real prog, you got the right to like them, but i don't care about nothing modern.

I'm mainly Prog', but other bands do float my boat occaisionally. The last 10yrs i quite like...

Riverside

The Answer

Frost* (recently disbanded)

There are several more.. (buggered if i can remember their names though!)

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 10 2011, 08:26 PM)

facepalm.gif

yeah, well, everything suck, from porcupine tree to opeth and everything in the middle, a lot of posers, they are not real prog, you got the right to like them, but i don't care about nothing modern.

There's more to the world of music than just prog, ya know. And I love how logical your arguments are, as well as how well they're supported and constructed. I'm not entirely sure how someone could like Transatlantic but not The Tangent, or The Flower Kings (surely you know that they are Roine Stolt's main band?), or anything else Neal Morse related (they're all the same damn thing really, Transatlantic included). But I digress - my main point has absolutely nothing to do with opinions and like/dislike for bands, it has to do with ignorance -- towards modern music, towards the (valid) opinions of others, and towards the English language. Guess who I'm talking about here. I'll give you a clue, it's somebody who probably don't care either way.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jun 8 2011, 05:41 PM)
radiohead is okay

soniamdisappoint.png

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 10 2011, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jun 8 2011, 05:41 PM)
radiohead is okay

soniamdisappoint.png

you think you're disappointed? you can't imagine how i feel about the fact that you didn't comment on my angry rants ITT sad.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 10 2011, 08:06 PM)

facepalm.gif

There's more to the world of music than just prog, ya know. And I love how logical your arguments are, as well as how well they're supported and constructed. I'm not entirely sure how someone could like Transatlantic but not The Tangent, or The Flower Kings (surely you know that they are Roine Stolt's main band?), or anything else Neal Morse related (they're all the same damn thing really, Transatlantic included). But I digress - my main point has absolutely nothing to do with opinions and like/dislike for bands, it has to do with ignorance -- towards modern music, towards the (valid) opinions of others, and towards the English language. Guess who I'm talking about here. I'll give you a clue, it's somebody who probably don't care either way.

Man, how much time you need to understand that im just trolling? Is my weekends hobby. Im sorry for the bad english, but i thik i have apologize for it quite enough.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (MCM @ Jun 8 2011, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 8 2011, 05:01 PM)
if i didn't have that, i'd spend a lot more time digging through the present to find what's good.

And you would probably spend a lot of time finding nothing exciting.

I'm trying to think of a band from the last ten years that I've really found exciting and want more from. It's hard and it's not for lack of trying, my shelves are full of cd's from bands that I'm sure I'm gonna love and then I listen a few times and I'm done with it and never buy another.

I do like the Foo's but they've been around longer than ten years I think

I like the first few Killers cd's; I was enamored with Franz Ferdinand for a time; same with Chevelle; Wolfmother; the list goes on, they all seem to bore me after awhile and I go back to the old stuff.

But, I'm pretty old so I guess that's ok.

i do love the innocence mission. of course they've been around since the 90's.

i do want to pick up some sigur ros albums at some point, as i've really liked what i've heard of them.

i did go through a big shoegaze/trip-hop/ambient/electronic music phase in the 90's, and I still love a lot of that stuff. If any of those genres continued to produce classics beyond the 90's, I don't know about them, but I'd be curious to find out more when time (and fundage) allows...

I've got an Innocence Mission disc around here somewhere. I saw them years ago when they played the fieldhouse at my college, they may have been the opening act for The Hooters.. can't quite remember those fuzzy days. I remember really being drawn in by the singers voice.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jun 10 2011, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 10 2011, 08:06 PM)

facepalm.gif

Man, how much time you need to understand that im just trolling? Is my weekends hobby. Im sorry for the bad english, but i thik i have apologize for it quite enough.

you know, there's a LOT of love in this thread right now. yes.gif

i can't be the only one who's noticed. no.gif