Jacobs Ladder

oldphilly

Cant deal with there only being 3 verses of lyrics. The music isnt wild enough for it to be a legit instrumental, not like YYZ or La Villa, but there's so few lyrics.

Ive always liked it, but indifferent about this kind of song writing. Sounds like it isnt complete. Just my opinion.

Edited by trenken

It sounds very Genesis-y to me smile.gif

QUOTE (oldphilly @ May 19 2011, 03:27 PM)
best song ever...that is all

i happen to LOVE that song...i like the exit...stage left version over the studio, but still- that's a kick-ass tune right there!!

alex lead work is so HOT on that track, and who doesn't love a little flanger??

Love it.

Very droney and hypnotic. Love this type of songwriting. No regard to commercial appeal. Just pure indulgence, which in my opinion is what being an artist is about. I dont think the term "self-indulgent" applies to music really. The artist should make the music for themselves first and foremost. We, the listeners, always have the choice to skip the song. Its a take it or leave it situation.

It's a great song, second weakest on the album next to Different Strings. The album is near perfect so who am I to judge one diamond from another?

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 19 2011, 06:35 PM)
Meh. Least best song off of PeW. Kind of ruins the flow, the amount of actual kick-butt instrumentel is not that high.

cool10.gif

Interestingly, I just began to enjoy this song, along with Natural Science. I gave them both multiple listens, but I simply couldn't enjoy them. I decided to give them a try again about a week ago, and both tracks are growing on me.

Unfortunately though, I can't stand the beginning part of Jacob's Ladder. I think the first time I ever listened to the song, it was a cover by Sebastian Bach, and I cringe every time I hear the section. As soon as the first verse passes, and the heaviness kicks in around 1:19, it becomes great. Time will tell though. The beginning may grow on me, which wouldn't be surprising since time has been my greatest asset in enjoying songs that I originally were turned off by.

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ May 19 2011, 06:35 PM)
Meh. Least best song off of PeW. Kind of ruins the flow, the amount of actual kick-butt instrumentel is not that high.

I agree completely. Maybe it's the fact that it's constantly talked about around here, but I just don't get the hype. It just kind of drags along and I'm never really grabbed by it.

no.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif tongue.gif

Great song...best song ever...I just don't agree.

I was SO looking forward to hearing this live on the Time Machine tour considering Alex's comments about playing it before the tour started.

Not knowing the setlist ahead of time, I was very dissapointed. Still had a great time, but it could have been better.

Great tune. If I had rank Rush songs, it would be somewhere in the 9-13 range depending on my mood at the time.

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ May 20 2011, 12:12 AM)

Unfortunately though, I can't stand the beginning part of Jacob's Ladder. I think the first time I ever listened to the song, it was a cover by Sebastian Bach, and I cringe every time I hear the section.

You answered your own question laugh.gif

One thing for sure Portnoy seemed to poop all over the party in the first few minutes of that "Working Men" cover....holy be jeezuz man...give the parts some space....mastubatory drumming to be found in great supply!