That rush kid in my class

circumstantial tree

Were you ever known in your high school as "that guy that likes Rush (groan)"?

I was. When other bands like Motley Crue and Ratt came around on tour, the next day in school you'd see a lot of tour shirts from those bands and others.

When I came to school the next day after seeing Rush on their Power Windows tour, only two of us were wearing shirts from the concert. sad.gif

The other person was a girl. I asked about the show and she said she was given that shirt by her boyfriend. That could mean two things: she was too embarrassed to be a Rush fan or she was telling me she wasn't single (presumptuous!)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there was like 3 of us, but Im talking 1978-1985 era

That's me right now. They day of this year's concert I wore my shirt to school (as I had to go straight to the concert after my last class) and everyone asked me who Rush was/if they were homosexual (I was wearing the MP/TM tour shirt with the huge starman on it).

Thankfully my girlfriend has started taking a liking to the band. She even came over during a jam session I was having with a friend and sung RTB and CTTH while we played it on drums/guitar. wub.gif

I digress, bug I'm glad there are two others with me who like Rush.

I knew other kids who were fascinated by certain bands as I was with Rush. One girl I know was totally into Led Zeppelin. Somebody else I knew was fanatical about Madonna. And another was very into Bon Jovi.

So each of us had a strong attachment to a band.

Me and about 7 guys! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 10 2011, 09:27 PM)
I was the Queen guy.

Poof!!!!!!!

Daddy and his friends were Queenies, but grew up to be Rushies.

On the S&A tour Six - count 'em six -of his 1970s schoolmates went to see Rush in Brum.

The 70s, apparently you should have been there, Rush were still good.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 10 2011, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 10 2011, 09:27 PM)
I was the Queen guy.

Poof!!!!!!!

Daddy and his friends were Queenies, but grew up to be Rushies.

On the S&A tour Six - count 'em six -of his 1970s schoolmates went to see Rush in Brum.

The 70s, apparently you should have been there, Rush were still good.

Well you weren't there either so how would you know?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 10 2011, 05:21 PM)
Most people know me as the guy that listens to that "weird shit".

That's me. People think I'm a druggie and they think prog is a drug ph34r.gif

A friend told me that he was talking to one of his friends and his friend asked about me and where I got this drug called prog laugh.gif rofl3.gif

I was invisible in high school, so it didn't matter to anyone what I was....

....until senior year, when word got out that I was a pothead. Then I became visible..... laugh.gif

There were a bunch of us...can't even count. Girls too. My friend's older sister played PeW for me one night and when I got to high school, they used to spin records over the PA in the cafeteria during lunch periods. ESL was a common occurrence. This was between 82 and 87 or so.

It was the late 80's/early 90's...

I wasn't so much, but Rush was one of the bands one of my two best friends was into, along with a lot of classic rock. The other was into 80's synth-rock. Every other kid was a Dead-head.

One of the funniest things my synth-rock friend did was to queue up Styx's Mr. Roboto on the stereo, turn up the volume, and let it fly. I think that CD really did fly when the not-so-mellow Dead-heads registered their disapproval 2funny.gif So totally worth it, though!

Archived