Dress codes

Mara

What's your company (or school) require as far as clothing?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What's your company (or school) require as far as clothing?

• Uniform
    • Professional (i.e., suits & ties, nylons for women in skirts)
    • Business casual (khakis, polos & jackets acceptable)
    • "All we ask is that you please not come to work naked"
    • I work at home, frequently in pajamas or sweats

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:11 PM)
Mine's the "just dont come to work naked" policy, but I have been provided with T-shirts/sweatshirts with our company logo on them. I'm not forced to wear them, though. I do anyway, because I think it's polite to wear a company shirt when out on installations in peoples' homes and whatnot. Just so they know I'm not some creepy lookin guy hangin out in their kitchen tongue.gif

Too many instances of "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY KITCHEN?" Eh Tarky.

tongue.gif

Right now: whatever I want until grad school and then I have to wear decent clothes (unless grad school doesn't pan out).

Best job ever? Barn job. I got to wear jeans and nasty t-shirts and my favorite pair of boots. When I exercised horses then I wore my cheesy looking breeches and usually a tank and sports bra. My favorites were the DQs (Dressage Queens) who came out in Armani to clip their horses. I kid you not. Those women are made of money and let you know it. Thankfully my trainer was/is a cowgirl at heart and gave lessons in wranglers. But I got paid decently to wear muck clothes at the barn and play around with ponies. I miss that job so much.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 26 2011, 03:15 PM)
Work: No jeans, black pants and any colour shirt is ok, laminate

School: no jeans, scrubs/LuLu's and a t-shirt with running shoes

Clinic: Uniform polo shirt, khaki pants and running shoes, laminate and holster

So no jeans in all those places... can you guess what I wear on my off time? wink.gif

Lemme take a stab at this one

Nada?

wink.gif tongue.gif wub.gif biggrin.gif rofl3.gif

I teach at a school where the students are required to wear uniforms. In our case it is called "Standard Student Attire" (SSA), because I guess calling them uniforms would be considered politically incorrect. The students can wear solid red, royal blue, navy blue or white collared shirts, and khaki, black or navy blue bottoms, whether they be pants, shorts, skirts or skorts. Now this may sound lovely and adorable, however the reality is far from it. The kids who show up to school filthy dirty day after day are still filthy dirty. Then the problem is that they may only have 2 sets of SSA (this school is in a rather poor area of town), no washing machine, no money for the laundry mat and show up with the same white shirt, with the same burrito from lunch 3 days before smeared across their sleeve. I REALLY am not exaggerating here. I have literally had to talk to some of my first graders (yes, first graders) about how they could run some water in the bathtub with dishwashing detergent, put their clothes in, slosh it around a little, rinse, wring them out and hang them over the shower rod with a towel on the floor. Sad. Oh, and sometimes they wear filthy dirty clothes because their parents are just bozos. Whoops, sorry.

Then there's the progressive discipline plan that goes along with SSA. First time they're not in compliance - a note home with a reminder, second time - another note and no recess, third time - all the above and a meeting with the parents. Then there's the walk of shame to the nurse's office to change out of non compliant clothing - all this is on the poor students, when it's really their parent's fault.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

We have casual business attire where I work. On fridays, we can wear jeans. I'm just glad that they don't have a Hawaiian shirt day. wink.gif

But, I found a trick to the 'jeans only on fridays' rule. I now buy jeans that are khaki color. Feels like jeans, looks like khaki pants.

I am opposed to requiring kids to wear uniforms in schools. I would move if our school made our kids wear a uniform. I am a big fan of self-expression and creativity.

Edited by Cowtothesky

QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 26 2011, 06:53 PM)
Right now: whatever I want until grad school and then I have to wear decent clothes (unless grad school doesn't pan out).

Best job ever? Barn job. I got to wear jeans and nasty t-shirts and my favorite pair of boots. When I exercised horses then I wore my cheesy looking breeches and usually a tank and sports bra. My favorites were the DQs (Dressage Queens) who came out in Armani to clip their horses. I kid you not. Those women are made of money and let you know it. Thankfully my trainer was/is a cowgirl at heart and gave lessons in wranglers. But I got paid decently to wear muck clothes at the barn and play around with ponies. I miss that job so much.

Oh good lord, the DQ's. I hear you. And no helmet, ever. Never mind skull protection while riding - they have to have that baseball cap so they can pull their expensive blonde ponytails through the back.

My only gripe about barn attire is that long pants can be a bitch in the summer heat.

Have a uniform at work. Black trousers and a shirt with the restaurant name and logo on it.

We are free to choose footwear, so long as it is 'closed footwear'. I have seen me coming into work wearing black trousers, black shirt, and a pair of bright yellow trainers. Really, the only footwear I haven't yet worn to work are ski's.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Apr 26 2011, 05:41 AM)
I teach, so it's usually business casual. Dress pants with a button down shirt (no tie), or maybe a polo when it gets warmer. Casual Fridays are awesome

Same here. They'd like to see me in a tie, but not for what I make.

QUOTE (happenstance @ Apr 26 2011, 06:59 PM)
I teach at a school where the students are required to wear uniforms. In our case it is called "Standard Student Attire" (SSA), because I guess calling them uniforms would be considered politically incorrect. The students can wear solid red, royal blue, navy blue or white collared shirts, and khaki, black or navy blue bottoms, whether they be pants, shorts, skirts or skorts. Now this may sound lovely and adorable, however the reality is far from it. The kids who show up to school filthy dirty day after day are still filthy dirty. Then the problem is that they may only have 2 sets of SSA (this school is in a rather poor area of town), no washing machine, no money for the laundry mat and show up with the same white shirt, with the same burrito from lunch 3 days before smeared across their sleeve. I REALLY am not exaggerating here. I have literally had to talk to some of my first graders (yes, first graders) about how they could run some water in the bathtub with dishwashing detergent, put their clothes in, slosh it around a little, rinse, wring them out and hang them over the shower rod with a towel on the floor. Sad. Oh, and sometimes they wear filthy dirty clothes because their parents are just bozos. Whoops, sorry.

Then there's the progressive discipline plan that goes along with SSA. First time they're not in compliance - a note home with a reminder, second time - another note and no recess, third time - all the above and a meeting with the parents. Then there's the walk of shame to the nurse's office to change out of non compliant clothing - all this is on the poor students, when it's really their parent's fault.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

I have the same situation where I work(inner city, low income). We keep stuff in the office for the kids to change into, and I try to catch them first thing in the morning so they can change and pretend they are late.

No more walk of shame. The secretary calls the parents if it happens too often, and asks if they need another uniform. Someone who is dirty day after day needs to be reported to CPS.

Being poor isn't an excuse for being dirty. Many of our parents wash clothes in the bathtub too.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Apr 27 2011, 07:57 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 26 2011, 07:13 AM)
jacket off

Watch the language pal. wink.gif

Someone caught me jacket off at work tongue.gif

You know I always thought "casual Fridays" was a bullshit rule. By having that, it seems like companies are throwing some stupid little cookie at employees to lighten their spirits. Jeans and a t-shirt won't make me feel better or more positive because I'm still at f***ing work tongue.gif !! I reckon either you should dress professionally all the time or look like a casual slob ( wink.gif ) all the time. I don't mind either way but having 1 day a week is like some childish rule that they might've incorporated at my Catholic elementary school...

"Okay kids, tomorrow is a special day! You don't have to wear the school uniform! ((kids screaming 'hurrah!')). But any inappropriate clothing and we WILL smack your knuckles with a wooden ruler. Now, let's turn to the New Testament. Revelation, Chapter 1."

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Apr 27 2011, 05:11 AM)
Mine's the "just dont come to work naked" policy, but I have been provided with T-shirts/sweatshirts with our company logo on them. I'm not forced to wear them, though. I do anyway, because I think it's polite to wear a company shirt when out on installations in peoples' homes and whatnot. Just so they know I'm not some creepy lookin guy hangin out in their kitchen tongue.gif

But you still are a creepy lookin' guy hangin' out in their kitchen...you're just wearing the company logo is all tongue.gif pokey.gif

I firmly believe I would have been quite unhappy if uniforms had been made mandatory at my high school. I express myself through my clothing, my values, my interests, my artistic expression... all through whatever I wear. I love it.

And the fact is, I don't have much of a social life outside of school. Lame, perhaps, but true. Every friend I have is either at school or at church, if only because I don't have time nor the interest in parties, going to a lot of movies, hanging out at the mall all day, etc. The only place I really put together an outfit for is school.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 26 2011, 12:56 PM)
I firmly believe public schools should have uniforms.
I would back it 100% Too many kids get picked on because they wear K Mart or Walmart clothing because its all they're parents can afford. While others walk around in Abercrombie and Fitch and act like there shit don't shit because they're parents have money.
Kids can be cruel little shits who deserve a good smack in the head for an attitude adjustment.
Bring on school uniforms!
By the way, My kid has nice clothes so this is not the reason for my feelings. I just feel horrible for kids who get picked on. I have felt deeply about it since I defended the kids who got picked on when I was a kid. I would gladly get into fist fights to defend other kids and I quite often did.

You would think uniforms would get rid of this problem. Fact is (and I know this from 9 years of Catholic school, uniform-wearing experience), kids will find other reasons to pick on you: your coat, your lunch box, the car your family drives, etc. OR how you look in the uniforms themselves, which most of the time are unflattering lol.

Sucks!

we don't have one officially, but as a group we are well versed in the casual friday look.

unsure.gif although I have seen some tshirts and shorts and flip flop sandals worn here by staff eh.gif - I wince but basically ignore it.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 27 2011, 11:02 AM)
I would back it 100% Too many kids get picked on because they wear K Mart or Walmart clothing because its all they're parents can afford. While others walk around in Abercrombie and Fitch and act like there shit don't shit because they're parents have money.
Kids can be cruel little shits who deserve a good smack in the head for an attitude adjustment.
By the way, My kid has nice clothes so this is not the reason for my feelings. I just feel horrible for kids who get picked on. I have felt deeply about it since I defended the kids who got picked on when I was a kid. I would gladly get into fist fights to defend other kids and I quite often did.

You would think uniforms would get rid of this problem. Fact is (and I know this from 9 years of Catholic school, uniform-wearing experience), kids will find other reasons to pick on you: your coat, your lunch box, the car your family drives, etc. OR how you look in the uniforms themselves, which most of the time are unflattering lol.

Sucks!

True...as a high school teacher I find that sometimes kids will go out of their way to find something. I have one student who had the chutzpah to turn it around. He asked the kid what kind of shirt he was going to be wearing when his parents cut him off and his limited brain didn't allow him to have a job that supported his "abercrombie allowance". I ignored it and it shut the kid up.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 27 2011, 12:02 PM)

Sucks!

Kids just have to suck don't they!

Sucks!

I have friends who've gone to Catholic schools and basically.. ditto on the above post.

Kids -- teens especially -- will always find something to be mean about. It's literally inevitable.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 27 2011, 10:45 PM)

Sucks!

I have friends who've gone to Catholic schools and basically.. ditto on the above post.

Kids -- teens especially -- will always find something to be mean about. It's literally inevitable.

Its kind of odd that everyone says that teens are the ones who are most likely to make fun of others for their clothes. When I was in middle school, the kids (age 10-14 mostly) would constanty make fun of each other for not wearing Hollister and American Eagle. Once I got to high school, it changed drastically. Practically no one gets made fun of for not wearing "popular" clothes anymore.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 27 2011, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 27 2011, 10:45 PM)

Sucks!

Its kind of odd that everyone says that teens are the ones who are most likely to make fun of others for their clothes. When I was in middle school, the kids (age 10-14 mostly) would constanty make fun of each other for not wearing Hollister and American Eagle. Once I got to high school, it changed drastically. Practically no one gets made fun of for not wearing "popular" clothes anymore.

It's been my experience that in middle school, it's clothes.

In high school, it's everything else -- size, race, hairstyle, financial situation, etc. And lots of stereotyping. It saddens me greatly.. sad.gif

I was looking for a 'What are you wearing today?' thread, as I'm sure we have one somewhere...and while doing a search, I found this one.

My company has uniforms for the guys who work in the manufacturing plant (which is attached to the office space; it's all the same building); those are just grey shop fatigues. But what I don't get is that almost half of the people who work in the office wear that uniform, too.

Then we have a few who do the business casual thing, and I can't adhere to that. I don't own any khaki pants, or Chinos, or anything like that...ugh. No.

Essentially, we have no dress code in the office. There are a couple people who wear short-sleeved shirts and jeans every day.

I had been wearing button-down shirts and jeans, for quite awhile (the shirt is never tucked in, though, when I do that)...and I just decided to start dressing better than that, now. Honestly, I was not feeling good about just not caring. And there are studies that have been done, even entire books written, about how the way we dress influences the way we feel. And I felt I needed to do something that would help me change my attitude for the better.

So anyway...I've just gone professional. Shirt and tie and dress pants are now standard for me. And I really do feel better. I know that might not do anything for other people, if they tried it. But I do feel better about myself- which, honestly, I need right now.

Oh, and I look better, too. :LOL:

• Like 3

I was looking for a 'What are you wearing today?' thread, as I'm sure we have one somewhere...and while doing a search, I found this one.

My company has uniforms for the guys who work in the manufacturing plant (which is attached to the office space; it's all the same building); those are just grey shop fatigues. But what I don't get is that almost half of the people who work in the office wear that uniform, too.

Then we have a few who do the business casual thing, and I can't adhere to that. I don't own any khaki pants, or Chinos, or anything like that...ugh. No.

Essentially, we have no dress code in the office. There are a couple people who wear short-sleeved shirts and jeans every day.

I had been wearing button-down shirts and jeans, for quite awhile (the shirt is never tucked in, though, when I do that)...and I just decided to start dressing better than that, now. Honestly, I was not feeling good about just not caring. And there are studies that have been done, even entire books written, about how the way we dress influences the way we feel. And I felt I needed to do something that would help me change my attitude for the better.

So anyway...I've just gone professional. Shirt and tie and dress pants are now standard for me. And I really do feel better. I know that might not do anything for other people, if they tried it. But I do feel better about myself- which, honestly, I need right now.

Oh, and I look better, too. :LOL:

Cool,

If it makes you feel better then thats all that matters.

:cool: