Presto: so frustrating

LeaveMyThingAlone

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 26 2011, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 25 2011, 09:49 AM)
I think Alex was writing parts that fit the song, not what allowed him to show off...

yes.gif

This is one reason I hold Alex in such high esteem. He doesn't feel a need to show off or take attention from the song with his parts. All of the parts he plays on Presto -- one of my top 5, BTW -- fit the song. He supports the song; the lyrics, the melody, the emotion... and that's much more important than "having balls" IMO.

I think you misinterpreted (or I didn't explain very well) my point.

I think Alex's playing is phenomenal on the album, but I can't hear it the way I want to hear it because of the limitations of the final product.

It really has nothing to do with Alex showing off. When the mixing and producing of Presto was being done, I would have thought Alex would have spoken up about the way the guitar sounds in the end.

As someone else mentioned, Counterparts is the opposite and kicks ass.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 12:59 PM)
The sound isn't the problem. It's that the lyrics took a sharp and noticeable downturn in quality from everything that came before it. The exceptions are The Pass and Chain Lightning. The lyrics are why the album disappoints...

And to go a step further the vocal phrasing is lack luster on Presto. A lot of it just does not flow well with the music. Sounds forced.

I love Available Light though lyricaly too. Along with the songs you mentioned. And vocally it is one of the higher moments for Geddy IMO.

The album is one of the weakest in the catalog. A good album but on the Rush scale one of the weaker ones.

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 26 2011, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 25 2011, 12:59 PM)
The sound isn't the problem.  It's that the lyrics took a sharp and noticeable downturn in quality from everything that came before it.  The exceptions are The Pass and Chain Lightning.  The lyrics are why the album disappoints...

And to go a step further the vocal phrasing is lack luster on Presto. A lot of it just does not flow well with the music. Sounds forced.

I love Available Light though lyricaly too. Along with the songs you mentioned. And vocally it is one of the higher moments for Geddy IMO.

The album is one of the weakest in the catalog. A good album but on the Rush scale one of the weaker ones.

Someone else agreed with me and also added in Available Light as an exception. I know it's petty, but I hate the way Geddy sings "in the available light" falsetto - bugs the crap out of me and ruins the song. IMHO obviously. unsure.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 25 2011, 09:23 AM)
As I hear random songs come up from Presto on my iPod, I listen to them and all I can think is how good this album really COULD be if the guitar had some balls....

Funny how the beyond the lighted stage documentary claims that Presto is when their hardrock roots came back into play..

QUOTE (ioc @ Apr 25 2011, 12:24 PM)
I've felt like this for a while.  This album could use a remaster.  Don't get me wrong, I do like it as is...in fact, I love it as is.  However, put a little meat on songs like war paint and it would seriously rock.

=

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 07:00 AM)

I think you totally misinterpreted my "having balls" comment.

It's not about the parts that Alex wrote. He wrote the right parts for those songs for sure. In fact, PoW and HYF contain some of his very best solos.

It's not WHAT he or the other guys played, it's the equipment they used. During the keyboard era, the guitars and basses and amps they used were thin-sounding and better suited for pop music. From CP on, they went back to warmer-sounding gear better suited for rock music.

That's why I mentioned the recent concert vids. Same keyboard-era songs, same guitar parts, but played with equipment that gives those songs the balls they deserved in the first place.

=

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 26 2011, 08:58 AM)

I think you misinterpreted (or I didn't explain very well) my point.

I think Alex's playing is phenomenal on the album, but I can't hear it the way I want to hear it because of the limitations of the final product.

It really has nothing to do with Alex showing off. When the mixing and producing of Presto was being done, I would have thought Alex would have spoken up about the way the guitar sounds in the end.

As someone else mentioned, Counterparts is the opposite and kicks ass.

I think several of us are on the same page. The issue is with the tone, not the material, arrangements or performance.

I think they got the sound they wanted at the time. It is thin sounding, but for Rush this overall a pretty soulful body of music.

I loved it at first, but now rank it near the bottom just ahead of Roll the Bones.

I think the guitar was fine (nice and bright- very restrained overall). My complaint is it lacked bottom end. I have the remaster and it sounds much better, it has more bottom end that i wanted, but is still very bright and clean.

I don't want them to remaster it again. It is what it is, and I don't want another pile of mud like Vapor Trails.

Not my favorite, but than again there are so many great Rush cd's to chose from. This cd does have some great moments. I think Available Light is bloody brilliant, I have always loved Show and Tell, Scars, and the Pass is one of my all-time Rush favs

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 26 2011, 01:07 PM)
As I hear random songs come up from Presto on my iPod, I listen to them and all I can think is how good this album really COULD be if the guitar had some balls....

Funny how the beyond the lighted stage documentary claims that Presto is when their hardrock roots came back into play..

It was in the fact that they returned to writing all the songs on guitar and bass. Where as starting with Signals (and to a much higher degree Power Windows and Hold Your Fire) songs were being written on the Key's.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Apr 26 2011, 02:03 PM)
Presto, along with HYF and RTB is an a 3 album drought for me. The weak production and just overall weak songs are turns me away from these albums.

Weak production is a fact

Weak songs is a matter of opinion

it's weak all around imo. i don't even own it anymore along with rtb.

True...

But then Kevin Shirley comes in and confirms what we all think: He said Presto and Roll the Bones were good but were very thin sounding albums...

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 26 2011, 05:50 PM)

True...

But then Kevin Shirley comes in and confirms what we all think: He said Presto and Roll the Bones were good but were very thin sounding albums...

In the doc, Presto producer Rupert Hine said it was his goal to get Rush back to being a true power trio, and not be smothered in keyboards. Later, Geddy said that CP is where the band got back to the "rock and roll guts of Rush."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 04:56 PM)

True...

In the doc, Presto producer Rupert Hine said it was his goal to get Rush back to being a true power trio, and not be smothered in keyboards. Later, Geddy said that CP is where the band got back to the "rock and roll guts of Rush."

yep. Didn't Rupert Hine just kind of come off as a bit of a pansie in the doc? LOL. When I saw and heard him, the way Presto and RTB sounds now makes more sense

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 26 2011, 03:02 PM)
Didn't Rupert Hine just kind of come off as a bit of a pansie in the doc? LOL. When I saw and heard him, the way Presto and RTB sounds now makes more sense

especially the way he said "Power Trio".

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Apr 26 2011, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 04:56 PM)

True...

yep. Didn't Rupert Hine just kind of come off as a bit of a pansie in the doc? LOL. When I saw and heard him, the way Presto and RTB sounds now makes more sense

Yeah he had a very proper-sounding English accent.

He was well known for producing pop acts, including some of the more prominent '80s new wave bands. I'm sure that had something to do with Presto and RTB sounding light and pop-like.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Apr 26 2011, 04:32 PM)
Wait, so Rupert Hime is a gay? ( not that it matters.) I saw the doc, but somehow missed Presto/RTB part.

If you blinked you probably missed it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 26 2011, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Apr 26 2011, 05:20 AM)
QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 25 2011, 09:49 AM)
I think Alex was writing parts that fit the song, not what allowed him to show off...

yes.gif

This is one reason I hold Alex in such high esteem. He doesn't feel a need to show off or take attention from the song with his parts. All of the parts he plays on Presto -- one of my top 5, BTW -- fit the song. He supports the song; the lyrics, the melody, the emotion... and that's much more important than "having balls" IMO.

I think you totally misinterpreted my "having balls" comment.

It's not about the parts that Alex wrote. He wrote the right parts for those songs for sure. In fact, PoW and HYF contain some of his very best solos.

It's not WHAT he or the other guys played, it's the equipment they used. During the keyboard era, the guitars and basses and amps they used were thin-sounding and better suited for pop music. From CP on, they went back to warmer-sounding gear better suited for rock music.

That's why I mentioned the recent concert vids. Same keyboard-era songs, same guitar parts, but played with equipment that gives those songs the balls they deserved in the first place.

Actually, I'd forgot who said that by the time I finished writing my blurb (you too, LeaveMyThingAlone and ioc). laugh.gif

No, I know what you mean... I just don't feel that your explanation and "balls" click. You are describing a warm sound as opposed to a thin, tinny, wiry sound. I guess I just don't feel that the warm sound = "balls." Maybe it's because I'm female, I don't know. But when I hear someone say that music "has balls", I hear dirty, ragged, crashing cacaphony. Ya ken? wink.gif

That being said, I like the sound of Presto very much. It does have a different feel (almost airy sometimes) to it, I admit. But that works with the material, IMO.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2011, 06:59 AM)
Some of you guys have been listening to Kevin the Caveman's interview off BTLS too much. This album didn't have this kind of complaint until now.

Your joking right?

I thought is was too thin the day it was released. It was a very wierd sound for Rush.

Yes in the grand scheme of things it is a signature production. Because they had never done anything like it before and they even thickned things up a tad more on RTB (not much but better).

The band themselves acknowledge the album as very soft, and half realized ideas.

Again I like the album. But it is not nearly their best or even very good compared to the entire catalog.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 27 2011, 06:59 AM)
Some of you guys have been listening to Kevin the Caveman's interview off BTLS too much. This album didn't have this kind of complaint until now.

Oh, yes it did. At least from me.

In fact, I used the same word "thin" to describe Presto that he did, well before the doc was made

Archived