FOUR rock deaths on this date, 5 April

Today marks the anniverary of the deaths of Kurt Cobain (Nirvana, 17 years ago), Cozy Powell (ELP, Whitesnake, 13 years ago), Layne Stayley (Alice In Chains, 9 years ago) and Mark St. John (Kiss, 4 years ago)....ALL from drug overdoses or where drugs or alcohol contributed to their deaths. It's the "other" December 8 for rock tragedies.

((Dec. 8 marks the deaths of John Lennon, Razzle, and Dimebag...all of whom tragically died at the hands of someone else...))

Cozy's is a little more vague. He had alcohol above the legal limit in his system, was speeding, talking on the cell phone, and wasn't wearing a seat belt...so no telling the exact cause there; just that alcohol might've contributed. Regardless, a very sad and tragic day for rock. sad.gif

Sorry to be clueless but I don't remember hearing of Cozy Powell's death.

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Apr 5 2011, 06:50 PM)
July 3 is another one of those days.  Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones (1969), and Jim Morrison (1971) both share that date.

Good call. November 24 is another...in fact, the same year even (1991): Freddie Mercury and Eric Carr (Kiss).

(And while not a rock musician, movie production designer Aton Furst ['89 Batman] also died on this very day that same year...so three entertainment-related deaths that day).

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 5 2011, 06:19 PM)

His BAC was over the legal limit and he was driving his car rediculously fast in bad weather and crashed it. I liked his stuff with Rainbow best.

I'm a big Alice In Chains fan and Layne's death was very sad. He killed himself with constant drug use. He died from a "speedball" which is a heroin and cocaine combo. His body wasn't discovered until the 19th though. Layne was just 86 pounds when he died sad.gif

I think i'm gonna listen to some AIC tonight in his memory.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 5 2011, 03:59 PM)
Cozy's is a little more vague. He had alcohol above the legal limit in his system, was speeding, talking on the cell phone, and wasn't wearing a seat belt...so no telling the exact cause there; just that alcohol might've contributed. Regardless, a very sad and tragic day for rock. sad.gif

Hey Presto! I guess I could look it up but I thought Cozy crashed his motorcycle on a slick icy road.

I didn't know he was drunk driving in a car. Is this true?

Brutal date. I didn't know Mark St. John had passed.

You learn something new everyday.

RIP

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 5 2011, 06:44 PM)
Today marks the anniverary of the deaths of Kurt Cobain (Nirvana, 17 years ago), Cozy Powell (ELP, Whitesnake, 13 years ago), Layne Stayley (Alice In Chains, 9 years ago) and Mark St. John (Kiss, 4 years ago)....ALL from drug overdoses or where drugs or alcohol contributed to their deaths. It's the "other" December 8 for rock tragedies.

Wow! I had no idea that Mark St. John had died.

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Apr 6 2011, 07:42 AM)

Yup. Two folks from Animalize gone now. (One might contend the wrong two). tongue.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 5 2011, 07:01 PM)

His BAC was over the legal limit and he was driving his car rediculously fast in bad weather and crashed it. I liked his stuff with Rainbow best.

I'm a big Alice In Chains fan and Layne's death was very sad. He killed himself with constant drug use. He died from a "speedball" which is a heroin and cocaine combo. His body wasn't discovered until the 19th though. Layne was just 86 pounds when he died sad.gif

Geez, I had no idea he only weighed 86 lbs. when he died. sad.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 6 2011, 09:59 AM)

Yeah. All he was doing was drugs at towards the end. He wasn't eating or anything. I can't imagine how bad the addiction must've been for him to take it that far sad.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Apr 6 2011, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 6 2011, 09:59 AM)

Yeah. All he was doing was drugs at towards the end. He wasn't eating or anything. I can't imagine how bad the addiction must've been for him to take it that far sad.gif

Not good.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 6 2011, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Apr 6 2011, 07:42 AM)

Yup. Two folks from Animalize gone now. (One might contend the wrong two). tongue.gif

I didn't know Mark St. John died due to drugs. I thought it had something to do with the condition he suffered from that prematurely retired him from music. Too bad.

Archived