Farewell to Kings - mystery recording...

tewills

Hello,

I searched the forums to find anything on this, but didn't. So please excuse the noobinees of this post if it's redundant...

I purchased a cassette of Farewell to Kings from a Tower Records in Fresno, CA (yuck I know) in 1991. I just found it going though some old stuff - it has been sitting in my old tape collection for 19 years. When I bought it, it was sealed in their security cases, and then shrink-wrapped per normal. There was nothing to indicate this was not a brand new cassette straight from Mercury Records. But when I played it, there was only classical guitar music recorded on both sides; end-to-end. The music was reminiscent of the classical guitar Alex played in several portions of the actual Farewell to Kings, but this certainly was not the "Farewell to Kings" I was expecting.

I never took it back because the music was awesome, and I fantasized that maybe something Alex may have laying down, accidentally got released. I'm sure that's not the case, but it's fun to imagine.

Does anyone know anything about this? Who the recording is actually of, etc?

QUOTE (tewills @ Jan 25 2011, 12:13 PM)
Hello,

I searched the forums to find anything on this, but didn't. So please excuse the noobinees of this post if it's redundant...

I purchased a cassette of Farewell to Kings from a Tower Records in Fresno, CA (yuck I know) in 1991. I just found it going though some old stuff - it has been sitting in my old tape collection for 19 years. When I bought it, it was sealed in their security cases, and then shrink-wrapped per normal. There was nothing to indicate this was not a brand new cassette straight from Mercury Records. But when I played it, there was only classical guitar music recorded on both sides; end-to-end. The music was reminiscent of the classical guitar Alex played in several portions of the actual Farewell to Kings, but this certainly was not the "Farewell to Kings" I was expecting.

I never took it back because the music was awesome, and I fantasized that maybe something Alex may have laying down, accidentally got released. I'm sure that's not the case, but it's fun to imagine.

Let's hear it. You may have something there or you were just trolled 1991-style.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 25 2011, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (tewills @ Jan 25 2011, 12:13 PM)
Hello,

I searched the forums to find anything on this, but didn't.  So please excuse the noobinees of this post if it's redundant...

I purchased a cassette of Farewell to Kings from a Tower Records in Fresno, CA (yuck I know) in 1991. I just found it going though some old stuff - it has been sitting in my old tape collection for 19 years.  When I bought it, it was sealed in their security cases, and then shrink-wrapped per normal.  There was nothing to indicate this was not a brand new cassette straight from Mercury Records.  But when I played it, there was only classical guitar music recorded on both sides; end-to-end.  The music was reminiscent of the classical guitar Alex played in several portions of the actual Farewell to Kings, but this certainly was not the "Farewell to Kings" I was expecting. 

I never took it back because the music was awesome, and I fantasized that maybe something Alex may have laying down, accidentally got released.  I'm sure that's not the case, but it's fun to imagine. 

Let's hear it. You may have something there or you were just trolled 1991-style.

This happened to my friend. He bought the new (at the time) Jeff Beck on cd and when he went to play it, the music on the disc was Milli Vanilli. Same record label, so maybe that is what happened here. The wrong music was married to the wrong artwork/packaging.

I bought the cassette release of Trouble "Run To The Light" and took it home, popped it in the player, and it was Trouble Tribe. Returned it the next day.

I'm not sure how something like that could happen, I mean it's not like they were on the same label or somethin'.

QUOTE (Passage2 @ Jan 26 2011, 11:51 PM)
I'd hazard a guess that it's something else accidentally mislabeled as Rush. That iPhone application (can't remember the name of it, I don't own an iPhone) which identifies song titles might clear it up for you.

Shazam

QUOTE (tripdad @ Jan 27 2011, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Passage2 @ Jan 26 2011, 11:51 PM)
I'd hazard a guess that it's something else accidentally mislabeled as Rush. That iPhone application (can't remember the name of it, I don't own an iPhone) which identifies song titles might clear it up for you.

Shazam

yes.gif http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/images/ShazamAlexRossPoster.jpg yes.gif

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 26 2011, 06:44 PM)
Should be renamed "An Arrival of Strings."

That could be a subtitle.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4008/618jesqprjlsl500aa300.jpg

Sorry to be a tad negative but do you honestly believe if it was anyway connected to RUSH or Lerxst we wouldn't have heard of it long before now!!

Remember the tape was bought 13 years after AFTK's came out and wouldn't have been manufactured then it would have been produced in the late 80's or the early 90's.

And would there only be ONE copy!!

It's a manufacturing error!

It happens from time to time. My wife got a copy of Steve Miller's greatest hits from one of those buy cds by mail companies. The music is disc two of Pink Floyd's The Wall. We still have the thing because it's just too weird.

Sadly, screwups like that on cassette were not too uncommon. I still have a cassette of Judas Priest's British Steel that I personally bought around 1983 or 1984 new and sealed up from a music store and throughout the album you can actually hear the later album Screaming For Vengeance ghosted in the background. I had some other cassette back then that had something completely else recorded onto it as well but I can't remember the details. I remember a friend telling me years ago that he bought a cassette of somebody (other than AC/DC) and that the cassette actually had Back in Black on it. I remember him laughing when he said he put it in and heard the gong from the bell and thought "wow, they ripped that off from AC/DC" until the song started and he realized it simply had the wrong audio on it.

Ah, the good old days of wrong audio, broken tapes, tape hiss, sound quality that would fade the more you listened to it, volume on one side being louder than the other sometimes, having to stick a pencil in the reels to wind and unwind the tape when it got twisted, etc. You young whippersnappers have no idea how good you have it. laugh.gif How about having a tape come apart in your car's cassette player and having to perform surgery to get it out? That was fun. Good times. wacko.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 12:31 PM)
Record it to your PC and upload it!

Wait, you can do that with a cassette? I know how to do that with mp3s and other digital files but how do you do that with a cassette unsure.gif

I've never experienced that with a tape before but it's sure a strange thing. Somebody probably goofed up when labeling it at the cassette making place.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 27 2011, 05:24 PM)
Ah, the good old days of wrong audio, broken tapes, tape hiss, sound quality that would fade the more you listened to it, volume on one side being louder than the other sometimes, having to stick a pencil in the reels to wind and unwind the tape when it got twisted, etc. You young whippersnappers have no idea how good you have it. laugh.gif How about having a tape come apart in your car's cassette player and having to perform surgery to get it out? That was fun. Good times. wacko.gif

I always knew I missed a lot!

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 27 2011, 04:24 PM)

Ah the memories fists crying.gif

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Jan 27 2011, 02:11 PM)
Ahh yes...the distinctive "screech" of cassettes that had been played a few times too many. Or worse, one that got pinched just a bit and then stretched.

My first copy of Signals was on cassette. There was always a bit of "krinkle" during the Analog Kid guitar solo. Even now, when I hear it on CD my brain hears the krinkle! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Docmilsap @ Jan 27 2011, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jan 27 2011, 04:24 PM)

Ah, the good old days of wrong audio, broken tapes, tape hiss, sound quality that would fade the more you listened to it, volume on one side being louder than the other sometimes, having to stick a pencil in the reels to wind and unwind the tape when it got twisted, etc. You young whippersnappers have no idea how good you have it.  laugh.gif  How about having a tape come apart in your car's cassette player and having to perform surgery to get it out? That was fun. Good times. wacko.gif

Ah the memories fists crying.gif

When was the last time you saw the yards of shiny cassette tape caught in the weeds along the road or highway?? Used to see that all the time, now I haven't seen that in years that I can remember..

Archived