Prog drummers

Akron162

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shail @ Jan 26 2011, 03:51 PM)
neil took prog drumming to a new level back in the day. he's the god father of prog drumming. no doubt in my mind about that. gavin harrison has done something special with prog drumming. he's played a ton of pop gigs. that was his thing for a while. mike portnoy didn't have that much to offer. bill bruford has some some great phrasings. mark zonder played some really nice stuff with fates warning. i'm sure terry bozzio could play some sweet stuff put in a prog rock vibe. so many good drummers.

You can't be serious! Classic Prog was to all intents and purposes on its way out by the time Rush recorded 2112 and to refer to Peart as the "Godfather of Prog" is just plain silly. Look to the likes of Bruford, Collins, Palmer, Barriemore-Barlow and Michael Giles who had all drummed with distinction on major seminal Prog albums before Rush even recorded.

Rush were a crossover Prog/Heavy Rock band who stood astride both camps without really being typical of either, hence Peart's broad appeal. The major classic Prog drummers were heavily influenced by jazz whereas whilst Peart was a fan of Rich and Krupa, stylistically he was influenced by those Prog drummers as well as Moon and Bonham.

Peart then went on to influence the more technical metal drummers, especially in the genre that was to become Prog Metal.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 28 2011, 04:45 PM)
neil took prog drumming to a new level back in the day. he's the god father of prog drumming. no doubt in my mind about that. gavin harrison has done something special with prog drumming. he's played a ton of pop gigs. that was his thing for a while. mike portnoy didn't have that much to offer. bill bruford has some some great phrasings. mark zonder played some really nice stuff with fates warning. i'm sure terry bozzio could play some sweet stuff put in a prog rock vibe. so many good drummers.

You can't be serious! Classic Prog was to all intents and purposes on its way out by the time Rush recorded 2112 and to refer to Peart as the "Godfather of Prog" is just plain silly. Look to the likes of Bruford, Collins, Palmer, Barriemore-Barlow and Michael Giles who had all drummed with distinction on major seminal Prog albums before Rush even recorded.

Rush were a crossover Prog/Heavy Rock band who stood astride both camps without really being typical of either, hence Peart's broad appeal. The major classic Prog drummers were heavily influenced by jazz whereas whilst Peart was a fan of Rich and Krupa, stylistically he was influenced by those Prog drummers as well as Moon and Bonham.

Peart then went on to influence the more technical metal drummers, especially in the genre that was to become Prog Metal.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 28 2011, 11:45 PM)

U R a Cock.

Pert is like so the apotheosis of Prog Drumming. Without Pert and Rush there would be no Prog Rock, and we would all be thinking that Uriah Heep were so far out.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 28 2011, 05:12 PM)

U R a Cock.

Pert is like so the apotheosis of Prog Drumming. Without Pert and Rush there would be no Prog Rock, and we would all be thinking that Uriah Heep were so far out.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 29 2011, 12:12 AM)

U R a Cock.

How big a cock?

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 26 2011, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 22 2011, 06:59 PM)
>open up thread about prog drummers
>see that Adrian Belew isn't listed

I am shocked TRF.

Ok, besides Belew, here's my top list.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason
Phil Collins (at least up to 1980)

You know, I saw Belew playing drums with Project 2 and can't say that I was terribly impressed. Then again, not being a drummer maybe I don't know what to look for. He is one of my favorite guitarists.

Here's what I'm talking about. He's an OK guitarist in my book, but I thought his drumming was great with Project 2.

i would consider neil one of the godfathers of prog rock drumming. hows that? one of the greats. the most influential in most peoples books. neil took prog rock drumming to new and adventurous highs. sure there were decades of drummers before him. prog rock became more proggy when rush came along. permanent waves is a monster album. the musicianship on that album is stellar. neil's drumming is god like on that album. i'm a huge fan of neils playing back then. now... not so much. he can still pull off those old recordings though. age just catches up with us. i'll take a 1983 neil peart any day of the week and put him up against some of the great rock drummers of today.

QUOTE (shail @ Jan 29 2011, 08:36 PM)
i would consider neil one of the godfathers of prog rock drumming. hows that? one of the greats. the most influential in most peoples books. neil took prog rock drumming to new and adventurous highs. sure there were decades of drummers before him. prog rock became more proggy when rush came along. permanent waves is a monster album. the musicianship on that album is stellar. neil's drumming is god like on that album. i'm a huge fan of neils playing back then. now... not so much. he can still pull off those old recordings though. age just catches up with us. i'll take a 1983 neil peart any day of the week and put him up against some of the great rock drummers of today.

You missed out Peart finding a cure for cancer and achieving world peace.

Interesting to learn that Prog Rock started in the 1950s, I did not know that.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 29 2011, 07:39 PM)

I am shocked TRF.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

You know, I saw Belew playing drums with Project 2 and can't say that I was terribly impressed. Then again, not being a drummer maybe I don't know what to look for. He is one of my favorite guitarists.

Here's what I'm talking about. He's an OK guitarist in my book, but I thought his drumming was great with Project 2.

Crystal Meth will do this to you.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 29 2011, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 29 2011, 07:39 PM)

I am shocked TRF.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

Crystal Meth will do this to you.

I think you mean marijuana.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 29 2011, 12:15 AM)

U R a Cock.

How big a cock?

U R Donkey Cock smile.gif

Or maybe Nani Goat Cock wacko.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 29 2011, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 29 2011, 12:15 AM)

U R a Cock.

How big a cock?

U R Donkey Cock smile.gif

Or maybe Nani Goat Cock wacko.gif

Mine's a double!

I am shocked TRF.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

OK, the topic is about "metal" drummers. This looks more like a progrock "who's best?" than metal... confused13.gif