Prog drummers

Akron162

The other day i was listening to some metal bands, and i notice something that i didn't notice before: all their drummers are awful. They just stick to 2 or 3 movements to the entire song, and in the best case, they just beat the bass drum faster as they can. i always believe that what makes a good drummer is not the fast the play but the quantity of things they can do at the same time, or the quantity of rhythms that pull out in one song. At that point i can say that the best drummers are the ones in prog. They really were machines, they were able to play 20 minutes whitout stop, sound like they had 4 arms and play fast and rhytmically at the same time.

My favorites have to be Carl Palmer and Andrew Ward. Of course i have to mention Neil Peart, arguable the best drummer of all time.

So, tell me what you think of this? You think that some metal drummer can be compared to any prog drummer? What is your favorite in any case?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 22 2011, 05:15 PM)
I think the majority of metal drummers play pretty generic things. I think that jazz drummers are probably better than prog drummers for the most part, though prog drummers tend to be better than metal drummers. Bruford is probably my favorite drummer from any genre.

Bruford was a very efficient drummer, but in the albums he made whit Yes i think his drumms work was a little bit dull, no offence of course.

It's gotta be Gavin Harrison. The dude can do anything, and he's incredibly musical as well. The middle of What Happens Now? by Porcupine Tree is totally off-the-charts inspiring. Edited by GrandDesigner

Neil is probably the best, but I gotta go with Bill Bruford as a sentimental favorite; he's part of the reason I fell in love with the Fragile album the first time I heard it. He treats the Drums like a melodic instrument; he's a percussion auteur. True master of his craft.

>open up thread about prog drummers

>see that Adrian Belew isn't listed

I am shocked TRF.

Ok, besides Belew, here's my top list.

Gavin Harrison

Phil Ehart

Neil Peart

Nick Mason

Phil Collins (at least up to 1980)

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 22 2011, 06:51 PM)
Bill Bruford.

Now Move along please, like nothing more to see here.

Kinda true. The beginning of One More Red Nightmare solidifies this.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 22 2011, 05:15 PM)
I think the majority of metal drummers play pretty generic things.

Not true at all no.gif Don't confuse AC/DC and Motley Crue with Metal

neil took prog drumming to a new level back in the day. he's the god father of prog drumming. no doubt in my mind about that. gavin harrison has done something special with prog drumming. he's played a ton of pop gigs. that was his thing for a while. mike portnoy didn't have that much to offer. bill bruford has some some great phrasings. mark zonder played some really nice stuff with fates warning. i'm sure terry bozzio could play some sweet stuff put in a prog rock vibe. so many good drummers.

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 22 2011, 06:59 PM)

I am shocked TRF.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

Belew is a guitarist not a drummer tongue.gif

QUOTE (Oracle @ Jan 22 2011, 06:59 PM)

I am shocked TRF.

Gavin Harrison
Phil Ehart
Neil Peart
Nick Mason

You know, I saw Belew playing drums with Project 2 and can't say that I was terribly impressed. Then again, not being a drummer maybe I don't know what to look for. He is one of my favorite guitarists.

Mike PORT"ANNOY" IS FINISHED!!

The DT Lawyer won't even accept Mike's proposal to go back into the band he gave birth to out of his gigantic blue bearded vagina. LOL!

Now Mike isn't even playing with Avenged Seven Fool's Gold Pussy Fold on the 2011 Tour.

What a clusterfuck! I LOVE IT!

Look's like Mike pissed off too many people down his Egotistical Road Of Redemption.

A Poem For Baby Blue Beard:

"Too many tweets. Too many Facebook Dirty Looks. Too many drum solos, too many rudiment waste of time text books.

Too many thrones, too many bass drums. Too many fuckking "FUKK YOU THUMBS!"

Spit like a camel Mike on the empty stage floor and

You will be swimming like a polar bear in a warm sea

Endorsed by Al Gore.

"School's Out... FOREVER! Take a hike from your own Wet Dream Theater Ryche."

Signed,

Alice Cooper