Let's give Xanadu some love

In A Tidewater Surge

I always remember the first time I listened to Xanadu on borrowed cassette tape with headphones on in the dark in bed when I was 15. I was following the storyline and got creeped out at the end when the cursed cave walls (I assume) fall in and traps the guy forever.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Xanadu is in my top 10, possibly top 5. I love this song.

One of my favorite parts is Neil's temple block solo thing. that part always sends chills down my spine cause of the amount of epic it produces.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jan 3 2011, 06:54 AM)
In my top 5 Rush songs of all-time, epic!  I would love to see them bring back the full version on the Clockwork  Angels tour.

Ditto that... but including the full intro with volume swells. That is goosebump territory for me. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 2 2011, 06:33 PM)
...people wonder why I will put down some later Rush. It's because of songs like this. It's such a high benchmark that even Rush can't live up to it. Even getting close to it is a marvel...

^ and the fact that it is lost on you that they did just that (get 'close' to it) is something I continue to puzzle comprehending

[see: 'Freeze' from Vapor Trails, 2002]

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 2 2011, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 2 2011, 06:03 PM)
alex will mention how they want to play this on the next tour but 2 weeks before they will decide to play the way the wind blows instead. sad.gif

LOL I was actually really glad when they didn't play Jacob's Ladder. I like the song, but it's the weakest one on the album.

On Topic: Xanadu is a great song, I raise my cup to it.

Would rather see Jacob's Ladder than Xanadu. Xanadu is certainly in my top 10, but I've seen Xanadu live several times and yet to see JL.

Anyways, I love the volume swell intro on the guitar with all of the smoke.

Ah, Xanadu! One of my all-time faves. The song that got me to give more than a cursory listen to Rush. The song that made me by my first Rush album. The song that lead to so much more.

Actually, now that I think about it, this song cost me an inordinate amount of money in the long run!

As I said in another thread recently, I can take it or leave it (for a Rush song). It's objectively a great song, but since AFTK was one of the last albums I purchased when I got into Rush, I'd already heard everything they did with Xanadu done as good or better in other songs.

I think it's a great song and never turn it off when it comes up on shuffle, but I never find myself intentionally selecting it either.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 3 2011, 09:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 2 2011, 06:33 PM)
...people wonder why I will put down some later Rush.  It's because of songs like this.  It's such a high benchmark that even Rush can't live up to it.  Even getting close to it is a marvel...

^ and the fact that it is lost on you that they did just that (get 'close' to it) is something I continue to puzzle comprehending

[see: 'Freeze' from Vapor Trails, 2002]

ok, just so i'm clear. you're saying rush have gotten close to the majesty of xanadu in recent years, and your song that demonstrates this...

...is freeze??? confused13.gif

um, can i assume this is a joke? unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 2 2011, 07:33 PM)
laugh.gif on this thread!

One time my wife and I were visiting my sister, her husband and my mother. My brother-in-law put on Xanadu and my sister and him proceeded to do this kind of extemporaneous dance/pantomime/singalong thing with the song. Well, you had to be there, but the rest of us were in absolute hysterics for 11 minutes. I asked my mother afterward, and she said she really liked the song, and my wife did too. They both aren't Rush fans, my wife especially, but even they could appreciate the beauty and wonder of this song.

Xanadu is pure awesomeness. People wonder why I will put down some later Rush. It's because of songs like this. It's such a high benchmark that even Rush can't live up to it. Even getting close to it is a marvel. The song is otherworldly awesome. yes.gif

cool10.gif

Archived