Did you like the 4th Indy Jones film?

Presto-digitation

I'm a big fan of the first three and was hugely let down when the fourth came out. Hadn't watched it since until today...and got about halfway through it and then started skipping around. So many things annoy me about it, including the acting. Never seen the reliable Ford so unnatural as Jones. I finally just shut it off.

I'd always thought Temple Of Doom was the worst of the first three -- and I still do. But after seeing Crystal Skull for the first time, I watched Doom again and seeing them back-to-back just cemented how POORLY I was treating the second film. Compared to the last installment, Temple is a CLASSIC...and I never felt that way before. I guess that just underscores how underwhelmed I was by Skull.

Anyone out there like Indy IV? Like it a lot???

As a film, I thought "Crystal Skull" was actually pretty good... until the end. That was just a little too strange, even for Indiana Jones. "Aliens? What!?" But that's a rant for another time.

But as an Indian Jones movie.. No. I didn't feel the heart. I love Harrison Ford, from Star Wars to Indiana Jones to even his more recent role in Extraordinary Measures. He's a fabulous actor. But the latest installment in the Indy franchise was just.. not there. Well, it didn't help that Shia Labeouf was part of the cast, but even ignoring that, the movie was just.. I don't know how to describe it, it just didn't FEEL right. Weirdest thing.

Keep Shia to his stupid movies like TF. Give Harrison Ford more scripts like he had for Extraordinary Measures and let him shine before he retires... If he ever does.

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

The worst of the series by far. Aliens don't belong in an archeology adventure. And that's just the biggest of my problems with the movie; I have more complaints.

The first and third movies were the best, then "Temple of Doom," and lastly this fourth one.

I watched it once, a while back. Though I didn't think it was particularly good, I certainly didn't think it was bad. Also, it is nowhere as good as the previous three movies, let me emphasize NOWHERE. It was okay and I enjoyed some things about it, most of which I can't remember. I guess that says it all.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 29 2010, 07:14 PM)
I watched it once, a while back. Though I didn't think it was particularly good, I certainly didn't think it was bad. Also, it is nowhere as good as the previous three movies, let me emphasize NOWHERE. It was okay and I enjoyed some things about it, most of which I can't remember. I guess that says it all.

biggrin.gif

It was OK....pretty much more of the same stuff. Pretty forgettable.

Karen Allen always had this dorky smile on her face during the film. It was as if she was just really happy to be there. I felt no real vibe between Indiana and Marion or anyone else. The refrigerator stunt was ridiculous.

I rather liked the ending with the aliens; it was quite appropriate, given the Area 51 storyline.... AlienSmiley.gif AlienSmiley.gif AlienSmiley.gif

Loved it.

I like ALL of the Indy films; so I'm not sure I'd say it's better than any of the others. It's a great film in it's own right, and it was fun as hell to watch. The subject matter was incredibly appropriate (in fact, it was my favorite touch in the movie) given the setting of the '50s. Spielberg and Lucas handled it in genius fashion.

The whole crystal skull concept is cool and in reality is an intriguing mystery, but the whole alien thing doesn't fit into the Indiana Jones theme of magic and Judeo-Christian based material. Overall, the movie was decent. I can't say its not worthy of being a sequel, but it could have been better for sure.

I didn't like it, but I did buy it used and cheap on Blu-ray to watch with my kid. She loved it and the BD looks great, so there's that going for it. I will say that the first half of the movie is pretty entertaining, but it goes downhill.

I also went back and watched Temple of Doom again and enjoyed it much more than I used to. Always loved 1 & 3.

I think the problem I had with it was that it just went...too far. I know Indy films are fun and push the boundaries, but this one almost seemed like some skit on the Indy series. This greaser balances between two Jeeps while fencing with a Russian? Does a Tarzan through a forrest? A Jeep/boat just happens to hit a tree on the way over a cliff and gently drops them to the water's surface? The infamous fridge scene...where Indy is blown for maybe a mile or so in the air in this box, shot into the air considerably...and doesn't break a bone getting rattled around inside this thing?

Even the things that happen lose their sense of intrigue when they're done too many times. How many times did Mac turn on Indy? Three times! It was an old and telegraphed gag after the first time. How many waterfalls did they go over? Three. Why not make the first time a longer and more precarious event? (Will our heroes survive??) Build the tension and fear in the audience and then they...whew(!!!)...survive! But no. They just careen from one to another, with no tension or excitement precisely BECAUSE they do it three times with the same results each time.

I get that the other films had their moments of pure unbelievability, like the raft in Doom or the plane slamming into the tunnel in Crusade, losing its wings and going past the Joneses before exploding. But Crystal Skull took the totality of goofiness from the other three and exceeded them, all in one film.

It was almost like Indy IV was lampooning itself at times and the other three films stopped short of self-parody.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 30 2010, 05:42 PM)
I think the problem I had with it was that it just went...too far. I know Indy films are fun and push the boundaries, but this one almost seemed like some skit on the Indy series. This greaser balances between two Jeeps while fencing with a Russian? Does a Tarzan through a forrest? A Jeep/boat just happens to hit a tree on the way over a cliff and gently drops them to the water's surface? The infamous fridge scene...where Indy is blown for maybe a mile or so in the air in this box, shot into the air considerably...and doesn't break a bone getting rattled around inside this thing?

Even the things that happen lose their sense of intrigue when they're done too many times. How many times did Mac turn on Indy? Three times! It was an old and telegraphed gag after the first time. How many waterfalls did they go over? Three. Why not make the first time a longer and more precarious event? (Will our heroes survive??) Build the tension and fear in the audience and then they...whew(!!!)...survive! But no. They just careen from one to another, with no tension or excitement precisely BECAUSE they do it three times with the same results each time.

I get that the other films had their moments of pure unbelievability, like the raft in Doom or the plane slamming into the tunnel in Crusade, losing its wings and going past the Joneses before exploding. But Crystal Skull took the totality of goofiness from the other three and exceeded them, all in one film.

It was almost like Indy IV was lampooning itself at times and the other three films stopped short of self-parody.

Maybe it was the directors and producers secrety laughing at us while we spend our money to watch it.

The whole second half was like watching somebody else play a tedious videogame. Really. That's what I kept thinking: it's like a videogame, like Myst or something, only you don't have the fun of playing it yourself; you're just a spectator. "Then after you do this, these things will all lift up and you can crawl under them, into a secret temple..."

QUOTE (Alex @ Dec 31 2010, 01:50 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 30 2010, 05:42 PM)
I think the problem I had with it was that it just went...too far.  I know Indy films are fun and push the boundaries, but this one almost seemed like some skit on the Indy series.  This greaser balances between two Jeeps while fencing with a Russian?  Does a Tarzan through a forrest?  A Jeep/boat just happens to hit a tree on the way over a cliff and gently drops them to the water's surface?  The infamous fridge scene...where Indy is blown for maybe a mile or so in the air in this box, shot into the air considerably...and doesn't break a bone getting rattled around inside this thing?

Even the things that happen lose their sense of intrigue when they're done too many times.  How many times did Mac turn on Indy?  Three times!  It was an old and telegraphed gag after the first time.  How many waterfalls did they go over?  Three.  Why not make the first time a longer and more precarious event? (Will our heroes survive??) Build the tension and fear in the audience and then they...whew(!!!)...survive! But no.  They just careen from one to another, with no tension or excitement precisely BECAUSE they do it three times with the same results each time.

I get that the other films had their moments of pure unbelievability, like the raft in Doom or the plane slamming into the tunnel in Crusade, losing its wings and going past the Joneses before exploding.  But Crystal Skull took the totality of goofiness from the other three and exceeded them, all in one film.

Maybe it was the directors and producers secrety laughing at us while we spend our money to watch it.

I think with the dawing of CGI, Spielberg and Lucas sat around saying "Now we can make him do this...and we can make him do that!!!! Yeah!!!"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 1 2011, 01:30 AM)
Shia LaBitch was cast in the film........ need I say more.

He was actually hilarious in the TV show he used to be in.

I hated it. I would give it at most a 5 out of 10. I LOVED Raiders of The Lost Ark, Loved Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, Liked Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom, and hated Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I agree exactly with GR. Aliens do not belong in an archaeology movie!!!