The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Nate2112

So I have a confession

I don't like Aces High

I like it, but I can see how someone wouldn't. Melodically and harmonically it's really unconventional, it just keeps climbing when it's already at full power. I prefer 2 Minutes To Midnight for sure.

It's always been jarring. Listening to Live After Death I was like...eek...

Very strange song for sure.

I have always loved Aces High and had no idea that even people who like it viewed it as unusual.

A lot of Maiden stuff is cut from very similar cloth, so when something breaks that harmonic mold even a bit I find it kinda strange.

Here's a review of the new album: https://bravewords.com/reviews/iron-maiden-senjutsu

"There are moments of true, Maiden greatness and also frustration where editing needs to happen. "

That was a very good review, and honestly sounds about what I expected. Modern Maiden is very long-winded, I also think it's fair to say a few spins for a review likely isn't enough to fully digest an album this long.

I've learned to eat humble pie with modern Maiden. Ultimately I find time to be on their side, as the more I listen to the modern era, the more I love the music.

• Like 1

Yes. But not dreadfully sick or hospitalized, because he was vaccinated!

He even beat cancer as well so it's no surprise he listens to doctors and not tinfoil knobs like Clapton, Noel Gallagher and Van Morrison.

Bruce had surgery on his Achilles tendon before their last tour and then did the tour even though he also needed a hip replacement. Forget about Ozzy and Keith Richards. I think Bruce might be the one to outlive us all.

• Like 1

This should've been the first single, this one rules!

Idk if it's just the single mix but Bruce is kinda muffled sounding.

Didn't they record the album when they had a break during the last tour? Bruce sounds a little tired vocally. Could be the production which isn't the best or maybe it's just age catching up with him. It's still a really good song. Catchy, sing along Maiden all the way through.

That was awesome! Totally agree that was better than the first single. Super well written song, and not too long either! I thought Bruce sounded fine, and his harmonies were actually really nice.
  • Like 1

So, I looped the song for an hour and any first listen issues I had with the sound are gone now. I hope the fans get familiar with this song as the riff will make for a great sing along live.

Agreed, I can hear everything, including Bruce very clearly now. This song is fantastic.

• Like 1

Okay I love this song!!!!

Three listens and my initial issue with the vocals is gone.

• Like 2

I also had an issue with vocals at first. And that issue vanished for me as well.

Frankly it's probably that Bruce has aged so he sounds different. Not bad, just different.

Songs like these are where Janick Gers really shines. The critics might dislike his prancing about on stage or his improvised solos but the songs he's got writing credits on, especially since Brave New World, are consistently excellent.

I need to go listen to Ghost of the Navigator and Dance Of Death again..

• Like 2

Songs like these are where Janick Gers really shines. The critics might dislike his prancing about on stage or his improvised solos but the songs he's got writing credits on, especially since Brave New World, are consistently excellent.

He has writing credits on this and Ghost Of The Navigator?? I did not know that. Genius!

He has writing credits on this and Ghost Of The Navigator?? I did not know that. Genius!

Bruce and Steve also have writing credits on that song. So who knows what Jannick really contributed? Whenever I see Bruce and/or Steve's name on the writing credits, I always assume that they came up with just about everything for that song.

Bruce and Steve also have writing credits on that song. So who knows what Jannick really contributed? Whenever I see Bruce and/or Steve's name on the writing credits, I always assume that they came up with just about everything for that song.

Fair enough. Just trying to give Jannick some credit to justify how long he's been in the band since Adrian came back.

Fair enough. Just trying to give Jannick some credit to justify how long he's been in the band since Adrian came back.

The three guitar attack is cool and Jannick hasn't done anything, at least to our knowledge, that is worthy of being fired. So why not keep him around? The band has been in existence longer with Jannick than without him. He's been with Maiden over 30 years. If his inclusion in the band is still an issue for some fans then they have some real serious mental problems they need to address.

• Like 2