The Camera Eye Live 2010 Vs. 1983

the masked drummer

2010 or 1983? (camera eye live)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. 2010 or 1983? (camera eye live)

• 1983 (Signals) Tour
    • 2010 tour

I saw both 1983 Signals tour and 2010 tour, and Rush played TCE on both. I thought Neil's drumming was perfect on the 2010 version, but I don't remember he and the band being quite as tight back on the Signals tour. I especially noticed Neil's tom fills were right on the money this time.

What do you think? I personally thought this song was a highlight of the show...

Edited by the masked drummer

Eventhough I wasn't even ALIVE for the Signals tour, lol...I'd say the 2010 version was better. It was a "longer" version than the Signals tour version (eventhough a couple small parts were still trimmed - unnoticably, at least). The 2010 version clocked in at 10:00 or so. The Signals tour version was about 7:00.

Just considiering the fact that I actually got to SEE The Camera Eye live this summer, made it the better version for me, hehe wink.gif

Well, I don't know about 1983 because I wasn't there, but in 2010 The Camera Eye rocked the house yes.gif

It was my "Why didn't I like this song before?" song this tour, and was the reason I took a wrong turn off the Pennsylvania Turnpike on my way home from my trip to Pittsburgh and ended up in Bristow at the magical bonus gig wub.gif

In this version, Geddy's voice is certainly stronger and higher, but he didnt hold the tempo of the vocals very well...

In *this* version Geddys voice is flat and sharp all over the place.. surprises me.

In both of the above the guitar and drums are tight as hell and well done....

Ok, music good, visuals unreal, and while Geddy's treatment is good tempo wise.. his voice is really struggling to hit the notes.

You decide. smile.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2010, 03:56 PM)
1981  M.P. Tour

OK Metaldad, you trumped me there, but you're too cool for this poll. ohmy.gif

A buddy of mine saw the MP tour and I'm jealous as heck...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 14 2010, 08:44 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeq0-0APmk 1983

In this version, Geddy's voice is certainly stronger and higher, but he didnt hold the tempo of the vocals very well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rt8Fh9rJU 1981

In *this* version Geddys voice is flat and sharp all over the place.. surprises me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GOSaF09uI 2010

Ok, music good, visuals unreal, and while Geddy's treatment is good tempo wise.. his voice is really struggling to hit the notes.

You decide. smile.gif

Too many variables. Interesting observation tho...

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Nov 14 2010, 03:27 PM)
Eventhough I wasn't even ALIVE for the Signals tour, lol...I'd say the 2010 version was better. It was a "longer" version than the Signals tour version (eventhough a couple small parts were still trimmed - unnoticably, at least). The 2010 version clocked in at 10:00 or so. The Signals tour version was about 7:00.

Just considiering the fact that I actually got to SEE The Camera Eye live this summer, made it the better version for me, hehe wink.gif

True. It wasn't the full song back on the signals tour, but they did most of it.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Nov 14 2010, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 14 2010, 08:44 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeq0-0APmk  1983 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rt8Fh9rJU  1981

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6GOSaF09uI 2010

You decide. smile.gif

Too many variables. Interesting observation tho...

I was surprised how much I didnt like the vocals on all three versions, esp. 1981/3.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 14 2010, 03:56 PM)
1981 M.P. Tour

Yeah. Same here.

The Signals tour version even though shortened was great too.

The sound of the band playing that song then was just like the album as far as tempo, feel and the instruments and amps used as well.

The 2010 vresion was awesome in it's own right, and seeing it three times was just the topping on the tour for me. This year was awesome indeed.

But I voted for 1983

Rickenbacker 4001.

Saw both and no contest 2010's version was so much better in every way.

I remember the 1983 take (my first ever Rush shows back to back nights too!) and felt it was so fast and just off. It did not groove at my shows.

This year....total perfection and the highlight of the tour.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Nov 16 2010, 02:14 PM)

I remember the 1983 take (my first ever Rush shows back to back nights too!) and felt it was so fast and just off. It did not groove at my shows.

for some reason they played everything super fast during the '83 tour. It was weird.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 16 2010, 05:53 PM)

for some reason they played everything super fast during the '83 tour. It was weird.

Maybe doin too many lines in the 80's. ohmy.gif

I agree though the 80's tours were played much faster than the original time sigs for the songs IMO starting with the Signals tour. Sometimes it was good sometimes it did not work. One thing is for sure, starting with the CP tour their live performances have gone to another level with each tour.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Nov 16 2010, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Nov 16 2010, 05:53 PM)

Maybe doin too many lines in the 80's. ohmy.gif

I agree though the 80's tours were played much faster than the original time sigs for the songs IMO starting with the Signals tour. Sometimes it was good sometimes it did not work. One thing is for sure, starting with the CP tour their live performances have gone to another level with each tour.

I always thought some of the songs on ESL were on the verge of being too slow. Perhaps they felt the same way and thought they should pick it up a notch or 2.

QUOTE (Todem @ Nov 16 2010, 04:14 PM)

Signals was my first show, too. Didn't see both nights, but...

I totally get what you're saying about not having much groove. They are much more refined as musicians now. Paridoxically, you would think they'd play it better younger fresh after writing it, but their performances show how much finesse they offer now. Better with age just like a fine wine in Ged's cellar...

Cheers!

trink39.gif

PS: I'm green with envy for you cats who caught the MP tour. Thanks for rubbing it in. rage.gif