The Hobbit - Now In Production

Principled Man

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

common001.gif

The Government will put a bill through Parliament under urgency today to seal the deal that has secured the $670 million Hobbit movies for New Zealand.

Prime Minister John Key announced the agreement with Warner Brothers last night after two days of negotiations with studio executives who had been worried about industrial disputes and wanted a bigger tax break than the standard 15 percent for big movies.

They got what they wanted with legislation that will clear up confusion about the legal status of contractors and employees, but the $20 million tax break was far short of what they argued for.

Mr Key said that in financial terms there was no doubt Warner Brothers could have got a better deal from other countries, but the studio wanted to make the movies in New Zealand and so did director Sir Peter Jackson.

"They wanted a lot more, they argued for a lot more," he said.

"I made it clear we were at our limit...this is a better deal than we have had with other big movies made here in the past."

And the Government has scored through an agreement that New Zealand will be promoted through all the marketing DVDs and other material that will be used to publicise the two Hobbit movies, as well as hosting one of the world premieres.

To get that it will offset US$10 million of Warner Brothers marketing costs.

"The strategic marketing opportunities for New Zealand from the movies will be worth tens of millions of dollars," Mr Key said.

"In the financial sense, this is a good deal."

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 22 2010, 06:54 PM)
They can't take it out of New Zealand, because New Zealand is where all the orcs live. Can you imagine the expense of moving all those orcs? And what other country will let them in??

The grand old USA will take their tired, poor, huddled masses......but only if they speak English and aren't Muslim.... wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

[/sarcasm]

I read a while back Vigo Mortenson will be reprising his role as Aragorn...uh, WHY? As most of you know, he isn't in The Hobbit (plus he would be much younger). And IMO, he was one of the bigger detractors to LOTR. I know it isn't his fault he was supposed to play a more modern 'reluctant hero' version of Aragorn, but he still came across as too soft in his demeanor and simply didn't act as well as many of his co-stars.

All in all, Jackson did about as good of a job as you could possibly expect with LOTR, despite the Urukai 'pods', the spider orcs of Moria, the Elves at Helmsdeep, the premature slaying of Sauruman, the omission of Tom Bombadill and the Barrow Wights, the omission of The Knights Of Dol Amroth and The Dunedain, the heavy handed exaggeration of Arwen's role in the story...uh, Jackson still made it visually stunning, kept the Hobbits as the heroes, stuck with the major themes and showed much of the action in real time instead of retelling it, like it was disappointingly in the books.

I am the odd man out here on this Forum.

I have to keep my opinions real and I am sure none of you will agree with me.

I thought the "Lord Of The Rings" movies were CGI Crap, and I'm a STAR WARS DORK!

Sorry though, I couldn't buy into the movie tragic, I mean magic.

"Precious" looked like an anorexic Yoda. Pathetic.

As for "Hobbit" I would rather pay money to have a Hob Goblin for a night.

Did Peter Jackson direct all of the Harry Potty films too?

Poop!

Speaking of Harry Potter I see that the film industry is doing the Ultimate Sin Ozzy!

They are doing a PART I and an PART II to the final Potter film?

Ridiculous.

They won't get a dime from me!

JMO

J ustifying M yself O ptimistically

laugh.gif

Okay... but why does being a Star Wars fan mean anything here? You can't like both? I do.

As for the Potter films being split, that's awesome. They should have done that with most of the others, too - they could have contained more material from the books.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 30 2010, 06:57 AM)
Okay... but why does being a Star Wars fan mean anything here? You can't like both? I do.

As for the Potter films being split, that's awesome. They should have done that with most of the others, too - they could have contained more material from the books.

I can never like both, but I bet millions do.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 17 2010, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (Ultra @ Oct 17 2010, 10:47 AM)
I'm just wondering why The Hobbit needs to be a 2 movie deal.  From my memory (I havent read it in a while), The Hobbit is an even shorter story than any of the LOTR books, so what is the purpose of dragging it out like this?

Part of the deal to make the movie. I believe there will be additional material bridging the gap between the sets of films, not merely The Hobbit stretched out into two films.

Yes - the second film is to fill in the 60 year or so gap between the events in the Hobbit and the events in LOTR. It gives PJ the opportunity to get some of the LOTR cast back. Aragorn COULD be a part of the second movie but not the Hobbit. Legolas could well be in both.

Interesting that Richard Armitage is confirmed in it now - yay!!

Excellent news, Nesbitt is pure class!! trink38.gif

"Cold Feet" actor James Nesbitt has been cast as a dwarf in Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit", the director's Wingnut Films said.

Nesbitt, from Northern Ireland, will play the dwarf Bofur in the two-part prequel to "The Lord of the Rings", which is due to begin filming in New Zealand in February after an industrial dispute that had threatened the production was settled late last month.

"Jamess charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles," Jackson said in a statement.

The statement said pre-production for the movies was in full swing and they were scheduled for release in December 2012 and December 2013.

British actor Martin Freeman from "The Office" was confirmed as the lead character of Bilbo Baggins last month."

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Oct 31 2010, 03:02 PM)
Yes - the second film is to fill in the 60 year or so gap between the events in the Hobbit and the events in LOTR. It gives PJ the opportunity to get some of the LOTR cast back. Aragorn COULD be a part of the second movie but not the Hobbit. Legolas could well be in both.

Yeah, Legolas could have a small role, since his father is the King of the Wood Elves that temporarily imprison the Dwarves. But wow, if the second movie goes beyond the Hobbit, it sounds like PJ is really digging into the appendices of LOTR and has his hands full putting together a cohesive movie. I dunno...

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Nov 4 2010, 06:36 AM)

Yeah, Legolas could have a small role, since his father is the King of the Wood Elves that temporarily imprison the Dwarves. But wow, if the second movie goes beyond the Hobbit, it sounds like PJ is really digging into the appendices of LOTR and has his hands full putting together a cohesive movie. I dunno...

The script outline for the second movie has already been written! PJ always said that he, Fran and Phillipa would really be using what Tolkien had put into the appendices (and let's face it, they are not small) to bridge the gap of the 60 years between the events of the Hobbit ending and LOTR starting.

Personally, I CANNOT wait to see Smaug. Aparently he's already been roughed out and is spectacular 653.gif

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 5 2010, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Nov 4 2010, 06:36 AM)

The script outline for the second movie has already been written! PJ always said that he, Fran and Phillipa would really be using what Tolkien had put into the appendices (and let's face it, they are not small) to bridge the gap of the 60 years between the events of the Hobbit ending and LOTR starting.

Personally, I CANNOT wait to see Smaug. Aparently he's already been roughed out and is spectacular 653.gif

Yes. The Appendices are as interesting as the books themselves. Lots of backstory to mine there.

And yes again about Smaug. If anything Jackson knows how to bring Tolkien's world to life.

I thought Jackson did an outstanding job with the Balrog, and nearly as good with the Nazgul's steeds. Smaug will undoubtedly be spectacular. He has to be--he's kinda the pinnacle of the story. The Battle Of The Five Armies better be sick.

QUOTE (FoxxiStarr @ Nov 7 2010, 09:12 AM)
I think I trust PJ implicitly. Watching the 3 LOTR films was like he'd opened my skull up and taken out the images I had created of Middle Earth and its peoples

Alan Lee really should get the credit, not Peter Jackson (in my opinion).