Geddy clapping during Spirit of Radio

tleeburks

I saw Rush during the Time Machine Tour and loved them. I had a stupid question. During the first chorus Geddy gets everyone going by clapping above his head. During the second chorus however he doesnt clap, he uses his hands as like a duck clap. I have always wondered why he does that. Anyone know.

QUOTE (tleeburks @ Oct 10 2010, 09:04 PM)
I saw Rush during the Time Machine Tour and loved them. I had a stupid question. During the first chorus Geddy gets everyone going by clapping above his head. During the second chorus however he doesnt clap, he uses his hands as like a duck clap. I have always wondered why he does that. Anyone know.

Variety. Something a little different... I dig it.

QUOTE (thing2jordan @ Oct 10 2010, 07:18 PM)
At the Alph. show, he did the duck-clap, then started moving his hands down lower, and did a..."squeezebox" motion and continued on as though nothing had happened. My bro and I almost lost it. laugh.gif

He did the same thing in Houston, it was hilarious.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 10 2010, 09:44 PM)
He should try something else with his hands. maybe even something obscene.. smile.gif

I could go somewhere with that, but I'll refrain... tempted.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Oct 10 2010, 10:46 PM)
He should try something else with his hands.  maybe even something obscene.. smile.gif

..steady... his hands, and ONLY his hands.... laugh.gif

He does it to get the crowd to clap along. It's a rock concert thing.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 10 2010, 11:34 PM)
I saw Rush during the Time Machine Tour and loved them.  I had a stupid question.  During the first chorus Geddy gets everyone going by clapping above his head.  During the second chorus however he doesnt clap, he uses his hands as like a duck clap.  I have always wondered why he does that.  Anyone know.

He does it to get the crowd to clap along. It's a rock concert thing.

wouldnt that be a thang?

QUOTE (tleeburks @ Oct 10 2010, 08:04 PM)

It's an honest question...not stupid. It's just a fun audience participation thing. One of Geddy's jobs as frontman.

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Oct 10 2010, 09:46 PM)
He should try something else with his hands.  maybe even something obscene.. smile.gif

LM, you totally beat me to that... ph34r.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

But, if he needs any volunteers, I have a couple...er, I mean, I can help! cool.gif laugh.gif firedevil.gif

I thought he was imitating the "invisible airwaves crackling with life"- the chatter of the salesmen and other people on radio.

I watched a video of Rush performing Spirit of Radio back in the early 80s (I am assuming giving their hair and costumes)- and Geddy did exactly the same things at the same times.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Oct 11 2010, 08:45 AM)
There's a story behind the duck clap thing.

Yeah there is a story, Neil talks about it in one of his books. They call it Happy Hands.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 11 2010, 01:26 PM)
You people discuss and debate some of the most insignificant nuances of the band's history and performances. Unreal.

Why does Geddy sing "YEAHHHHHHHHHH" and the end of phrases in many songs live??? OMG.

rofl3.gif

Wait 'til there's no tour going on...talk about searching for crap to talk about !!!

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Oct 11 2010, 12:26 PM)
You people discuss and debate some of the most insignificant nuances of the band's history and performances. Unreal.

Why does Geddy sing "YEAHHHHHHHHHH" and the end of phrases in many songs live??? OMG.

rofl3.gif

So why does he say YEAH at the end of phrases in many songs live????

QUOTE (RushNut @ Oct 11 2010, 07:45 AM)

Yes, he has been doing that for years. My buddy had the chance to ask him (during his solo signing meet and greets at Best Buy) what he meant by it. His answer, "Just saying hello".

So be sure to say hello back to Geddy next time!

2.gif

QUOTE (weezy2112 @ Oct 11 2010, 08:35 PM)
It reminds me of the "chicken dance" that people used to do at weddings.

used to? tongue.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Oct 12 2010, 07:35 AM)
QUOTE (weezy2112 @ Oct 11 2010, 08:35 PM)
It reminds me of the "chicken dance" that people used to do at weddings.

used to? tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

At my friends wedding reception on friday night they did it new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Oct 11 2010, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Oct 11 2010, 08:45 AM)

Yeah there is a story, Neil talks about it in one of his books. They call it Happy Hands.

Do tell!