Expectations for Clockwork Angels

losingit2k

Rate your expectation  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Rate your expectation

I remember reading (someone give me the link if they remember what I'm talking about) that Geddy said they were considering re-recording those first two songs. It was something about how playing those songs live gave them new perspective on those songs and they had evolved.

SOOOO, out of curiosity I went to youtube and played Caravan and BU2B from some very recent shows. I gotta say, the songs sound EXACTLY the same to me. If they're planning on re-recording them, I can't imagine they'd be too different.

So based on my experience with the first 2 songs, I'm going to keep with my 4 and hope the rest is better and that there are some songs that I love like on S&A...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 26 2010, 12:47 PM)
I remember reading (someone give me the link if they remember what I'm talking about) that Geddy said they were considering re-recording those first two songs.  It was something about how playing those songs live gave them new perspective on those songs and they had evolved.

SOOOO, out of curiosity I went to youtube and played Caravan and BU2B from some very recent shows.  I gotta say, the songs sound EXACTLY the same to me.  If they're planning on re-recording them, I can't imagine they'd be too different.

So based on my experience with the first 2 songs, I'm going to keep with my 4 and hope the rest is better and that there are some songs that I love like on S&A...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5c_8rSXmi_E/SotY5vDN9nI/AAAAAAAAACg/8hVL-a1Pd5Y/s320/Debbie_Downer.jpg

tongue.gif

If Rush had only released Far Cry and Mal Nar, I would have thought they were going to make a career masterpiece with Snakes. As we all know, it didn't quite become that. Well, at least I don't think so.

I am cautiously optimistic about the rest of the album.

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Aug 25 2010, 04:25 PM)
My expectations have nothing to do with whether a song is an epic... I just want good songs. And based on Caravan and BU2B, I anticipate a 9 1022.gif

+1

Oh and as Treeduck would say it's going to be "METAL!" 1022.gif

Caravan and BU2B have set the bar pretty high. I'm anxiously awaiting the new album, and setting realistic expectations with an 8.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2010, 11:32 AM)
If Rush had only released Far Cry and Mal Nar, I would have thought they were going to make a career masterpiece with Snakes. As we all know, it didn't quite become that. Well, at least I don't think so.

Such an excellent point.

If Rush had released Good News First and Faithless ahead of S&A, I'd have had very low expectations and would have been thrilled by some of the songs on there.

It's hard for me to make the assumption that the two songs they chose to release are going to be among the weakest on the album. Generally bands tend to go for some of their strongest material first. Then again, maybe these were the only two songs that were close enough to being ready so they released them first. Obviously they liked these songs enough to want to play an entire tour with them. It's so hard to tell what will be.

Until it comes out, I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Honestly, if there are 2 or 3 songs on the album that I think are great, I'll be happy and grateful for that much. The last time I thought a Rush album was great all the way through was in 1993, and the last time I thought an album was TRULY great all the way through was in 1985 (1987 was truly great until the last two songs). It's not realistic for me to expect a band, even Rush, to create their masterpiece 37 years after their first album. No one has ever done that before. And still I'd be open-minded that was possible based on the strengths of S&A... had I not heard the first two songs.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 26 2010, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Aug 25 2010, 04:25 PM)
My expectations have nothing to do with whether a song is an epic... I just want good songs.  And based on Caravan and BU2B, I anticipate a 9  1022.gif

+1

Oh and as Treeduck would say it's going to be "METAL!" 1022.gif

as long as its not hair metal. tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2010, 01:32 PM)

Damn. Whats with everyone lately.

Is your pepsi flat? :pepsi: sad.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ Aug 26 2010, 03:31 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2010, 01:32 PM)

Damn. Whats with everyone lately.

Is your pepsi flat? :pepsi: sad.gif

Why? I'm not bashing anything at all? I'm just adding a bit of perspective to the subject. Relax.

Looking forward to it for sure, I mentioned in the other thread that if they're going to do an EPIC (For me an Epic is greater than 12 minutes) it seems that they might go back to their roots and at least inject a good dosage of PROG into this album..... if that holds true, then HOLY SHIT!

I just anticipate in what way they will surprise me. I hate expecting or thinking what a new Rush album will sound like, since I have nothing to do with it and I've always been wrong. Surprise me. Challenge me. Test me. Entertain me. That's what I expect.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 26 2010, 04:32 PM)
Looking forward to it for sure, I mentioned in the other thread that if they're going to do an EPIC (For me an Epic is greater than 12 minutes) it seems that they might go back to their roots and at least inject a good dosage of PROG into this album..... if that holds true, then HOLY SHIT!

Well Caravan is as Prog as Freewill IMO. If the rest of the albums holds up to these two first songs it's going to Kick Ass! Remember it's going to have softer acoustic pieces as well as the heavier ones. I just hope the softer pieces are more like a Different Strings rather than Rivendell.

Disclaimer: "According to Alex"!

2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2010, 06:45 PM)
Based on the first 2 songs, I'm gonna give it a 4 and hope I'm wrong and the rest is much better. Sorry!

Yep. I gave it a 5 just because I love Rush. Not because I expect it be better than a 4.

i'm tired of having high expectations and being let down. i'm just going to listen to it as it comes and whatever they are going to do they are going to do. the only thing i don't want to hear about is neil rambling on more about religion. if the rest of the album is going to be alot of s & a's part 2, they've lost me.

Assuming Caravan and BU2B are gonna be two of the stronger songs, I anticipate it at a 7. I expect it to be like S&A--half of the album awesome to 'really good', the other half, 'meh'. I'm not too riled on a reported 'epic' being on the next album. It won't have the feel of their 70's or early 80's stuff, so it will have to prove itself worthy of being a ten or twenty minute song. We can only...HOPE biggrin.gif

I gave it an "8."

I was thinking: if it sounds a lot like Snakes & Arrows, it'll be maybe a six... thanks to "Caravan" and "BU2B."

If it sounds like more of "Caravan" and "BU2B" and "Far Cry" and also contains an "epic" with that sound, easily an 8 or greater.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 27 2010, 09:03 AM)
I gave it an "8."

I was thinking: if it sounds a lot like Snakes & Arrows, it'll be maybe a six... thanks to "Caravan" and "BU2B."

If it sounds like more of "Caravan" and "BU2B" and "Far Cry" and also contains an "epic" with that sound, easily an 8 or greater.

I agree totally. I hear "a sound" now - and its pretty good, but B2B and Caravan put more energy and focus and melody to that sound vice S&A (IMO). If the songs plod along like some did on S&A, it will prob not excite me too much, but if like the first two releases better.

Something else - theyve got some songs done, but, when was the last time they recorded coming off a tour. This may lend itself to some interesting results, recording "all warmed up with razor sharp chops".

Ill be interested in the results.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 27 2010, 08:21 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 27 2010, 09:03 AM)
I gave it an "8."

I agree totally. I hear "a sound" now - and its pretty good, but B2B and Caravan put more energy and focus and melody to that sound vice S&A (IMO). If the songs plod along like some did on S&A, it will prob not excite me too much, but if like the first two releases better.

Something else - theyve got some songs done, but, when was the last time they recorded coming off a tour. This may lend itself to some interesting results, recording "all warmed up with razor sharp chops".

Ill be interested in the results.

I agree, they've always have had great albums following a tour. Specially when they road tested songs!

Case in Point: Subdivions

1022.gif

Ok so I should have read this first before I voted. I am old-39. Rush had moved past the "epics" by my definition (album side or at least half of one) by the time I got on the bus in '82. I mean I would not consider The Weapon to be an epic. Hemispheres, 2112, FOL, yes. I don't think we are gonna hear anything longer than 7 minutes on this new album which is fine with me. From what I heard on S&A, I think that I would like the new album. By the "new" definition of epic, I would rank it higher.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 29 2010, 07:23 AM)
musically i'm not crazy about the new songs as a whole. there are some good parts but there are also a few sections that i think alex could have been more creative or melodic with.  those sections drag or sound flat to me.

Flat? Like tire is Flat , Florida's Flat or This Soda is Flat?

confused13.gif

Ahh who care I'm thirsty!

trink36.gif

Archived