Expectations for Clockwork Angels

losingit2k

Rate your expectation  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Rate your expectation

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really enjoy modern day Rush and I've not been let down by a Rush record really since Roll The Bones...and even that one is still half fine to me. Even assuming the worst I'm pretty sure I'll like more than I dislike. At best it'll be in the VT/S&A range...and both of those records are 8.5-9.0 to me. I already very much enjoy Caravan and BU2B, so unless the train jumps the track all of a sudden, I think 8-to-8.5 is a reasonably assured expectation.

My interest in Rush has waned. Even though I like "Caravan" (and it's a good song), I have hardly played it.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 26 2010, 07:24 PM)
i'm tired of having high expectations and being let down.  i'm just going to listen to it as it comes and whatever they are going to do they are going to do.  the only thing i don't want to hear about is neil rambling on more about religion.  if the rest of the album is going to be alot of s & a's part 2, they've lost me.

Yes, these are my thoughts exactly.

Neal finding a new lyrical direction would be great. He has become a little preachy of late, and it gets old.

I always appreciated the way he let you decide for yourself in most of his older lyrics, but he has been beating us over the head with his beliefs (whatever it is, he believes in something)

I get it already!!!!!!!!

that said, it is hard not too look forward to a new RUSH album, to see how they will surprise me (good or bad) I would love to see them add some keyboard as textures to some of the sound.

Caravan and BU2B are good songs, but it just feels like they could have been more.

If the rest of the album is a good as the 2 new songs, i think it will be their best album in a very long time

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 25 2010, 06:45 PM)
Based on the first 2 songs, I'm gonna give it a 4 and hope I'm wrong and the rest is much better. Sorry!

WOW . What is it that you don't like about the songs? A 4 out of 10?

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 1 2010, 01:59 PM)
Based on the first 2 songs, I'm gonna give it a 4 and hope I'm wrong and the rest is much better.  Sorry!

WOW . What is it that you don't like about the songs? A 4 out of 10?

Caravan - Great opening and awesome musical breakdown, but the lyrical section I find somewhat uninspiring and very un-melodic. Far Cry didn't have a guitar solo, but blows Caravan away in terms of a memorable, inspiring, catchy song.

BU2B - I find the lyrics so depressing and such a downer that I can't even pay attention the music.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 1 2010, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 1 2010, 02:17 AM)
2. BU2B and Caravan were let downs for me.

Not every songs can be a rehash of something from MP or PeW.

angry.gif

I think it's safe to say that Limey, like myself, just don't care for those songs on their own merits, not because they're not a re-tread of past glories. I loved a few songs on S&A, and I'd have been thrilled if these two songs were up to the standards of those, but sadly, for me, they're not.

i may be wrong but i think there's a portion of fans that refuse to be critical and give their honest opinion. they just think that it's rush, it's great or whatever they do is fine. period. the truth is if rush didn't have the 1st 1/2 to lean back on, they wouldn't have been able to take the chances they did with some of the clunkers they put out. when the fans don't respond it forces the band to reach down deep and drive the sound harder better. i don't know, alex has held back imo, and gotten totally away from those early creative shredding years when he just let loose. he relies too much on the technical stuff. just plug it in, crank it up and play.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 1 2010, 05:30 PM)
i may be wrong but i think there's a portion of fans that refuse to be critical and give their honest opinion.  they just think that it's rush, it's great or whatever they do is fine.  period. 

Yeah, if you actually like S&A or CA, you must be a drooling, uncritical, sycophantic fanboi.

facepalm.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 3 2010, 10:54 AM)
Case in point, if you throw out about 3-4 songs from Snake and Arrows you have a great Album. Same with Roll the Bones and Counterparts.

No guarantee they'd throw out the songs you'd want them to. Back in the good old days they were putting out more music than they are now (how many songs in the last 10 years vs how many songs in their first 10 years).

Personally, while I'm not a huge fan of "Faithless", I'd rather have S&A as it is today than a shorter version condensed for space. Also, I'd bet a good sum of money that if S&A had been confined to 40 minutes MalNar wouldn't have made the cut.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Sep 3 2010, 11:08 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 3 2010, 10:54 AM)
Case in point, if you throw out about 3-4 songs from Snake and Arrows you have a great Album. Same with Roll the Bones and Counterparts.

No guarantee they'd throw out the songs you'd want them to. Back in the good old days they were putting out more music than they are now (how many songs in the last 10 years vs how many songs in their first 10 years).

Personally, while I'm not a huge fan of "Faithless", I'd rather have S&A as it is today than a shorter version condensed for space. Also, I'd bet a good sum of money that if S&A had been confined to 40 minutes MalNar wouldn't have made the cut.

You have a great point there with Malnar!

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 1 2010, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 1 2010, 02:17 AM)

Not every songs can be a rehash of something from MP or PeW.

angry.gif

Ewww MP and PeW.

Two of my lower albums.

HYF and Presto and AFTK wub.gif

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 1 2010, 01:17 AM)

same here.....I initially liked them both, but they wore off really quick. I listened to them again recently, and honestly I'm not really diggin' either one too much.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Sep 3 2010, 05:33 PM)

same here.....I initially liked them both, but they wore off really quick. I listened to them again recently, and honestly I'm not really diggin' either one too much.

Just not the same eh? Glad someone agrees.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 3 2010, 07:36 PM)

sad.gif Well each to their own oppinions! Personally I can't believe that any Rush fan would actually find these two songs to be downers! They both rock hard, they are progressive, and the both have incredible composition, musicianship and overall sound!

You guys just need to have your head examined! Really!

banghead.gif

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 3 2010, 07:36 PM)

as much fun as these guys seem to be having and making the new music, i wish i was equally ecstatic about the music but i'm not. i listen to it with an open ear and mind, and give it listening time, but the interest gets lost. i don't know i think i'm just looking to hear something more melodic and more cohesive sounding. some of it just sounds forced to me. there's something for everyone out there. just to give you an example, i like the last 3 songs on s & a better than caravan and bu2b.

Based on the first 2 songs, I'm gonna give it a 4 and hope I'm wrong and the rest is much better. Sorry!

pokey.gif

Are you serious? You must be the person whose favorite song is the Pass wink.gif

QUOTE (RSRD @ Sep 5 2010, 11:50 AM)
Based on the first 2 songs, I'm gonna give it a 4 and hope I'm wrong and the rest is much better.  Sorry!

pokey.gif

Are you serious? You must be the person whose favorite song is the Pass wink.gif

Hey boy, The Pass IS good. One of my favorite songs. Ever.

Archived