Caravan & Far Cry

losingit2k

Lets consider the fact that classics are created when a group has it's break through or most commercial album. On their hey days sort to speak. Now just for a second imagine Tom Sawyer and The Spirit of Radio would be released now 30 years after their Hey days! Do you think they would have become instant classics with no real Air Play? Which brings me to the point of this thread...Far Cry and Caravan are incredible songs just like the formentioned classics! The only reason they might not be cassics is because they were not released during the PeW, MP and Signals Era. I truely believe that if they were, they would be instant classic. And we would be here begging Rush to include them in their setlist list their other major singles. Just view on these threads how the younger fans defend their beloved albums at the time they discovered Rush. To them their classics are Dreamline, Bravado, Stick it Out, Cold Fire, Test for Echo, Driven, One Little Victory Secret Touch, Far Cry, Working them Angels, Malnar (This generations YYZ) and yes even Caravan. We older fans really need to keep an open mind and allow these songs to take their natural course and become instant classics! I for oe believe Far Cry and Caravan are this generations Tom Sawyer and Freewill. What do you think?

2.gif Rules in any Era!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BU2B is the heaviest RUSH has ever played/sounded, imo. and i think caravan is a great song as well. their sound and approach to songwriting has distilled quite nicely over time. They are classics in my book already because they rocked those new songs live BIGTIME.

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

BU2B is the heaviest RUSH has ever played/sounded, imo.

I completely agree! Those were the exact words I uttered when I first heard Bu2b "Wow, this is some kick ass heavy stuff"!

1022.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 10:27 PM)

I completely agree! Those were the exact words I uttered when I first heard Bu2b "Wow, this is some kick ass heavy stuff"!

1022.gif

sounds kinda like black sabbath...

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 10:11 PM)
Which brings me to the point of this thread...Far Cry and Caravan are incredible songs just like the formentioned classics! The only reason they might not be cassics is because they were not released during the PeW, MP and Signals Era. I truely believe that if they were, they would be instant classic. And we would be here begging Rush to include them in their setlist list their other major singles. Just view on these threads how the younger fans defend their beloved albums at the time they discovered Rush. To them their classics are Dreamline, Bravado, Stick it Out, Cold Fire, Test for Echo, Driven, One Little Victory Secret Touch, Far Cry, Working them Angels, Malnar (This generations YYZ) and yes even Caravan. We older fans really need to keep an open mind and allow these songs to take their natural course and become instant classics! I for oe believe Far Cry and Caravan are this generations Tom Sawyer and Freewill. What do you think?

2.gif Rules in any Era!

Comparing them to Tom Sawyer and Freewill is stretching the point a bit, but I agree that Far Cry, Caravan, and BU2B are instant classics for a simple reason: from the first time I heard them, they kept popping into my head with no provocation. Best way to define a classic I can think of.. songs that immediately get in your head and just won't leave.

My introduction to Rush was Show Don't Tell... to me another instant classic that got my Rush fanhood rolling.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 11:32 PM)
Far Cry - yes, absolutely a classic

Caravan - no.gif

Both classics.

Gary must have been idosing tonight.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 11:11 PM)
I for oe believe Far Cry and Caravan are this generations Tom Sawyer and Freewill. What do you think?

no.gif

Not by a longshot.

They're good, but they're not that good.

I think that Far Cry is more commercially accessible than Caravan. The Radio station here in Montreal played Caravan for a few days and I don't think that they played it at all after that. While they played Far Cry for months on a daily basis. I like both of them but I think Caravan is the winner in my books.

Fary Cry IS "that good" IMO. I have never stopped loving that song from the moment it came out. I can dig a TS comparison.

Caravan is pretty good too- I could liken it to SoR, but probably only because while I like SoR, there are a lot of Rush songs I like better.

Of course, RTB was my introduction to Rush, and amazingly enough Dreamline, Bravado, and GoaC are among my top Rush songs and "classics" to me.

Likening them to songs from that era, FC can be most compared to Dreamline (loved it from the beginning and love it today), while Caravn is probably most like "Animate"- knocked my socks off the first time I heard it and then settled into merely "very good" as time went on.

Far cry sucks, imo. Geddys bassline in the verses just annoys the hell out of me, and the guitar is mixed very strangely during the chorus. The two newer songs are good, but I have a feeling will be blown away by the rest of the new material. More classics are coming.

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 22 2010, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 10:32 PM)
Far Cry - yes, absolutely a classic

Caravan - no.gif

I feel just the opposite. laugh.gif

I find the lyrics on Far Cry fantastic, and the chorus especially seems to be very universally relatable as part of the human condition. The song is inspiring and hopeful. It's also catchy, and it rocks hard - it pulls me in from the opening notes and doesn't let go. Ok, the guitar "solo" is barely a solo, but that's the only weakness.

Caravan does have that GREAT instrumental breakdown section, and the opening is really cool, there's no denying that, but the lyrics, and especially the chorus, I find pretty weak. In between the cool beginning and the instrumental break it's just too heavy of a riff with nowhere near enough melody to balance it out. The whole "I can't stop thinking big," doesn't do much for me, even the "in a world where i feel so small, I can't stop thinking big." I just can't relate to those lyrics, and it's not a very melodic song - even the cool instrumental section doesn't have much melody. It's a decent song, and they've done far worse, but it's far cry from a classic IMHO.

Another really important factor to consider here is that nowhere near enough time has elapsed to really judge this song. I know it's easy to go by first impressions or how much you enjoy something after listening for a couple of months, but I remember when S&A came out and after a few months or a year, people's views often changed dramatically. Most people were initially blown away, and it took time for people to get more realistic about it. It's easy to be infatuated by a new song or album, but placing it in historical perspective alongside their other songs or albums with a group that has so many of both truly does take time.

A couple of months after S&A came out, I had it as my #4 Rush album. A few months later I had it at #14, which is where it stays. I originally had Armor & Sword as my #4 or #5 fave Rush song, and a couple of years later I think it just cracks the top 20. These things really do take time. I know in the world of music these days with passing fads and immediate gratification, it's hard to give something time, but you need it for critical distance in making comparisons. Far Cry has had enough time. Caravan has not.

they are both middle of the road tunes for me. far cry needed more space between the music and lyrics and less geddy repeating the lyrics along with the woahh's and ahhhhh'ss. caravan is catchy but the "can't stop thinking big" part alex lost me with the weak guitar part. maybe it's a keyboard i'm hearing and not his guitar? sounds like a doorbell ringing.

I share an office with a coworker and usually have my mp3 player going. Needless to say it plays a lot of Rush. FC just came on and my coworker remarked, "You know, this is a really good song. It's taking me a while to get used to Rush's style, but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite song by them so far".

So from an up and coming Rush fan, FC at least is a standout.

I could think of other songs that I'd say this about myself. I do think Far Cry starts out much like an old Rush classic, but it doesn't stay like that throughout the song.

But like Neil said, "We've already done that, why would we want to do it again?" lol

2.gif

I like Caravan a lot...not so much Far Cry, but even still, I wouldn't begin to compare Caravan to Spirit of the radio or Tom Sawyer for example. Caravan is simply not at the same level as those songs lyrically, or musically. It is not as good. That doesn't mean it sux though, cause like I said, I like Caravan a lot.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 09:27 PM)

1022.gif

I just immediately thought, "Wow, this riff sounds like Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine," and part of me wanted Geddy to start yelling things like "Uhhh!" and "MOTHAFUCKA!!!!!" or "COME AWN!!!"

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2010, 08:24 AM)
Another really important factor to consider here is that nowhere near enough time has elapsed to really judge this song. I know it's easy to go by first impressions or how much you enjoy something after listening for a couple of months, but I remember when S&A came out and after a few months or a year, people's views often changed dramatically. Most people were initially blown away, and it took time for people to get more realistic about it. It's easy to be infatuated by a new song or album, but placing it in historical perspective alongside their other songs or albums with a group that has so many of both truly does take time.

A couple of months after S&A came out, I had it as my #4 Rush album. A few months later I had it at #14, which is where it stays. I originally had Armor & Sword as my #4 or #5 fave Rush song, and a couple of years later I think it just cracks the top 20. These things really do take time. I know in the world of music these days with passing fads and immediate gratification, it's hard to give something time, but you need it for critical distance in making comparisons. Far Cry has had enough time. Caravan has not.

goodpost.gif

It's too early for me to place Caravan and BU2B anywhere right now. Plus I want to hear them live and also hear the enitre body of work that they will be a part of.

Far Cry is a classic no doubt. A great Rush song.

Archived