Are there any shows you've been to...

Went to see Ozzy in '91 but really wanted to see Anthrax opening. You can only imagine my rage (and most of the audience judging by the boos) when Winger came on instead. Never found out why this happened but I was pissed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1996 I got a great surprise. I went to Styx's Return to Paradise tour in Mankato, Minnesota because Kansas was opening. Kansas rocked for 40 minutes. Styx (who I only knew from the Grand Illusion album) starts with Dennis DeYoung on a darkened stage singing "tonight's the night we'll make history..." and then they dropped the hammer... DeYoung "here at the ParaDIIIISE", stage lights UP, band BOOM! and they're "Rockin' The Paradise" and my jaw was on the floor. I think the arena roof landed in the Minnesota river cool.gif

early 2000's, saw a 3-act show: Opener Dio, with Deep Purple and Scorpions alternating the "headline" slot each night. Just my luck, that night it was the Scorpions who had the headliner spot. The Scorpions are pretty good, but it was Dio and DP that I forked over the cash to see, and they delivered.

I saw Lindsey Buckingham as a headliner in Toronto about 1993. It was awesome, so we went to see him later in the tour when he was an opening act for Tina Turner. It was great to see Lindsey from the front row. Seeing Tina Turner and her 2 hot backup singers from the front row and having no choice but to look up their dresses all night was pretty cool too.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jul 21 2010, 02:02 AM)
Iron Maiden opening act Dream Theater last Saturday at DTE Clarkston Michigan, DT blew Maiden out of the water they were amazing

1022.gif applaudit.gif goodpost.gif

I once went to our local strip club where a nationally-known adult film star was going to be headlining that weekend... but I really went to see Chastity, one of the regulars I sometimes get lap dances from. wink.gif

Yes, I'm just kidding. I went to see the adult film star. wink.gif

Kidding again! tongue.gif

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 21 2010, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 21 2010, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jul 21 2010, 01:20 AM)
Zebra, I can't remember who they were opening for, I just remember it was @ The Cincinnati Gardens. We drove from Dayton, OH to Cinci in rush hour traffic and ran in as they had just taken the stage.

Ah, good ole Zebra!

I went to a Scorpians show to see King's X open for them.

I love Zebra and I still listen to them! 1022.gif

I saw them live back in 1983 (I think) when they were just getting noticed. They actually played in a bar attached to a bowling alley in San Diego. laugh.gif

I've always wondered if they had the right breaks where they would be today ....and how would they have progressed musically. confused13.gif

They still play as Zebra sometimes. And guitarist/vocalist Randy Jackson sometimes tours as a solo act, doing acoustic versions of Zeppelin songs.

Yep, I was an early fan, too. I had their first two albums, right after each was released. On CD, all I have is a compilation.

Was in Pittsburgh last week to see Iron Maiden. I have always wanted to see DT, and I was pleased by their performance. IMO, Iron Maiden stole the show - just fantastic.

As for other opening bands - the only other opening band that I ever reallly wanted to see was Marillion. They opened for Rush during the Power Windows tour. I never understood why they never made it big in the States. It was a mesmerizing performance.

The last show Rush played in Pittsburgh, I had the pleasure of talking to two guys who came over from Scotland to check out Fish (former Marillion singer) in Ohio. While they were in the USA they decided to catch Rush. Was great conversing with them.

2.gif

I won't say I went specifically for these bands but here are some of the amazing opening bands I have seen in my life;

James Gang and Boston, (Foghat was headliner)

Thin Lizzy (Queen)

BOC (Rush)

Foghat (BOC)

Def Leppard, Scorpions (Ted Nugent)

Sammy Hagar (ZZ Top)

Kansas (Styx)

Kansas (Yes)

Edited by traeplien

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 21 2010, 06:01 PM)
1996 I got a great surprise. I went to Styx's Return to Paradise tour in Mankato, Minnesota because Kansas was opening. Kansas rocked for 40 minutes. Styx (who I only knew from the Grand Illusion album) starts with Dennis DeYoung on a darkened stage singing "tonight's the night we'll make history..." and then they dropped the hammer... DeYoung "here at the ParaDIIIISE", stage lights UP, band BOOM! and they're "Rockin' The Paradise" and my jaw was on the floor. I think the arena roof landed in the Minnesota river cool.gif

early 2000's, saw a 3-act show: Opener Dio, with Deep Purple and Scorpions alternating the "headline" slot each night. Just my luck, that night it was the Scorpions who had the headliner spot. The Scorpions are pretty good, but it was Dio and DP that I forked over the cash to see, and they delivered.

That was a killer show!

I went to a Black Sabbath concert a few years ago (with Dio as the singer RIP) and I mainly went for Megadeth. I enjoy Black Sabbath but I liked them more with Ozzy, and Megadeth rocked harder in my opinion.

But other than that, all other openning bands I've seen are aweful! Like Meat Puppet when they openned for STP

My very first concert was KISS. Ok, cut me a break I was 13. Styx was the opening act, I had never heard of them. Styx stole the show, musically anyway. I went right out and bought Pieces of Eight, and my KISS records got traded. Many years later Styx headlined the Texas Jam. Uriah Heep, Ted Nugent, Triumph, and Sammy Hagar were all excellent. Rik Emmett and Terrible Ted joined Hagar on stage for a cover of Whole Lotta Love. This was after Theodore tried to upstage Sammy by climbing the scaffolding and watching much of his set from up in the lights, once using them as monkey bars.

After all this, Styx comes on with kilroy was here, or mr. roboto or whatever that BS was. The crowd made a point of waiting till they took the stage before walking out. If they had led off with Working Man or Wanted Man or some other Tommy Shaw greatness, it might have been different.

Pride goeth before the fall DeYoung.

"Blue Collar Man" perhaps?

Styx is a very good act. I miss Dennis DeYoung - but I am a fan of Lawrence Gowan.

Candlebox and MSG were decent Rush openers. Anyone here see Max Webster open for Rush. That would have been killer!!!!!!!!

2.gif

QUOTE (traeplien @ Jul 23 2010, 03:40 PM)
Opening bands today cannot compare to the glory days of opening bands back in the 70's and 80's. Seems that everyone toured with everyone.

true dat!

2.gif

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jul 23 2010, 05:45 PM)

Candlebox and MSG were decent Rush openers.  Anyone here see Max Webster open for Rush.  That would have been killer!!!

Yep, my parents did together back in 1979 (I believe was the year)

My dad said that they kicked some serious ass, but with Kim Mitchell onboard, what's to doubt about that?

Alka Seltzer and Tang and a Fifty, it's all over! You got a hangover!! 1022.gif

Edited by Hemispheres89

A Flock of Seagulls opened for The GoGo's in the early 80's. We left after the Seagulls were done. biggrin.gif

wow... just too many to list - some off the top of my head:

Jason Falkner opening for Suzanne Vega

^ I was equally as interested in both artists

Michael Penn opening for Aimee Mann

^ ditto

Rachel's opening for PJ Harvey

^ triple ditto

Buckethead opening for Incubus and Primus

^ I was only there for Buckethead - I would've stayed for Primus (mildly interested) but the crowd was so stupid by the time Incubus took the stage I had to step out - no choice

Mastodon opening for Clutch

^ I'm very picky with my Mastodon (a lot of it is just too silly) but it's always an epic thrill to watch Dailor on the drums (especially at a tiny club) - Clutch were 'good' but I wasn't there for them

5ive Style opening for Sea & Cake and Tortoise

^ I went for 5ive Style (instrumental trio) and they kicked all kinds of ass - Sea & Cake were underwhelming, not good (tone-deaf singer) but I really like them on record... and Tortoise were so boring I left half-way through

The Grays opening for Toad The Wet Sprocket

^ Jason Falkner's short-lived band with Jon Brion - colossal (and as close to Jellyfish as I was ever going to get wink.gif )

...wow - that's more than I thought I'd bring to mind

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 23 2010, 09:40 PM)
A Flock of Seagulls opened for The GoGo's in the early 80's. We left after the Seagulls were done. biggrin.gif

A Flock of Seagulls opened for ZZ Top back in the early 80's. Needless to say we missed the opening band.

Worst opening band I have ever seen was BTO who opened for Van Halen (actually it was minus Roth = Van Hagar) and they just plain sucked. Their musicianship was awful and about every other song they would shout out "you guys gettin ready to hear Van Halen?".

Uhhh...YES! Please depart the stage!

Best Rush opener I have seen might be a toss up between Golden Earring and Tommy Shaw.

Worst Rush opener...Mr. Big

I went mainly to see Rush open for Ted Nugent at the Akron Civic Theater in late 1975 (i think). Rush was supporting COS (they played The Necromancer!) and Ted was supporting his first solo album.

Also went to see Van Halen open for Black Sabbath at the Richfield Coliseum. Both bands were very good but Van Halen was awesome.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jul 24 2010, 02:28 PM)
A Flock of Seagulls opened for The GoGo's in the early 80's.  We left after the Seagulls were done.  biggrin.gif

A Flock of Seagulls opened for ZZ Top back in the early 80's. Needless to say we missed the opening band.

Worst opening band I have ever seen was BTO who opened for Van Halen (actually it was minus Roth = Van Hagar) and they just plain sucked. Their musicianship was awful and about every other song they would shout out "you guys gettin ready to hear Van Halen?".

Uhhh...YES! Please depart the stage!

Best Rush opener I have seen might be a toss up between Golden Earring and Tommy Shaw.

Worst Rush opener...Mr. Big

Best Rush opener was Marillion. Who, of course, was not opening for them anymore by the time the tour hit Atlanta, where I saw them. sad.gif angry.gif

I saw INXS open for the Go-Go's at the New Orleans world Fair in 1983. I actually enjoyed both of them. Go figure.

Dr. Dog opening for The Black Keys (I wasn't familiar with the Black Keys at that point---I was there to see Dr. Dog)

The Felice Brothers opening up for Bright Eyes (Bright Eyes was fantastic that night, and I was there for them, but Felice brings it every time, and if a band they open for isn't ready, they can and will steal the show.)

Sick of It All, Napalm Death and Sacred Reich opening for Sepultura (Napalm was good and Sepultura was good, but Sacred killed it that night---I would have gone for either Sacred or Sepultura, though, so I was really stoked about seeing both.)

Belinda Carlyle and The Fabulous Thunderbirds opening for Robert Palmer (I don't like any of those bands---a friend got a bunch of free tickets. Belinda Carlyle was first and stole the show. Robert Palmer was REALLY bad.

The Dirty Streets opening for The Parlor Mob (The Dirty Streets are a local band---they blew The Parlor Mob off the stage)